Foo Fighters > Nirvana. Discuss.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I can dig Nirvana, but I still feel they are overrated and get too much airtime.

Definately a bigger fan of the Foos, Dave Grohl has more energy than anyone I've seen in concert. :rockon:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I haven't listened to enough Nirvana to make a decision. Foo Fighters kick some major ass though!:rockon:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
the problem with peoples answers are that they are being subjective, not objective.

The question is, which is the better band; not what band do your like better.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i think nirvana is the better band because they were more innovative/creative. while i love the foo fighters sound, all their songs sound similar(including their awesom new single, the pretender). nirvana had songs that you could tell were nirvana songs, but could be picked out with ease in the first few seconds of the song. "about a girl" sounds different from "breed", which sounds different from "lithium", which sounds different from "polly", which sounds different from "sappy"(i LOVE that song). yet you can still tell they are all nirvana songs. foo fighters, "breakout" sounds similar to "DOA", which sounds similar to "everlong", which sounds similar to "my hero", which sounds similar to "monkey wrench". they do have some songs that sound different, such as "stacked actors"(my favorite song of theirs), but, for the most part, their songs are similar.

both bands are awesome though, i dont think that can be disputed(well, i guess it can after seeing a lot of the replies in this thread).

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
I think the Foo are better than Nirvana. Even if Cobain lived, they would have ended up trailing off into a bunch of nobodies except for Grohl who would have started his own band. Which is pretty much what happened anyway, Cobain just gained the long-lasting notariety by off'ng himself.

SADF

Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
I think David Grohl and the Foo make up a better band than Nirvana, but Nirvana was somewhat of a harbinger of a generation, and that is tough to overshadow. For that reason, Nirvana will probably be at least a more well known band, if not thought to be better period.

That is exactly what I was going to say. It will never matter who is better due to Nirvana being thought as the fathers of Grundge/Alternative like Elvis was to Rock N Roll. I love the Foo Fighters and I am buying tickets Saturday, but Nirvana will go down as better no matter what. Nice name btw Astro Creep, I feel that Rob Zombie is better than both!

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
cobain can go **** himself...oh wait, he already did that. no respect for that **********.

SADF

Established Member
NewKid said:
I haven't listened to enough Nirvana to make a decision. Foo Fighters kick some major ass though!:rockon:

Are you serious. Love or hate either, they play more of both their crap than anything... especially Nirvana. Songs that were never meant to become singles are now just cause he is dead and cannnot make anymore music. That goes for any of the rappers that died to. They just reinvent the wheel.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
OH MY GOD! Where the hell was I when this thread came out. This is a thread for me. Let's re-open this. I'll argue with every one of you on this one! I have over 60 Nirvana cds and over 30 videos.. Same as Foo and I've seen them 6 or 7 times and met them a few times. Nirvana and Foo are both great bands. Nirvana is obviously better. To whoever said Chronic 01 was a classic, you're retardedly wrong. Although a kickass album, the original Chronic was the real classic. The Chronic was like the Nevermind of rap. C'mon... let's hear it.

Last edited:

Lightningfr

Banned
just got done listening to the new foo fighter album

it sucks ass
two cool songs on the album
im glad i dl'd it i would be pissed if i paid for that waste of a cd

Last edited:

Wintermute

Banned
Nirvana are over-rated as hell, for the simple fact that numb-nut hemingway'ed himself. Hell, I think Hole were actually a better band then Nirvana, as least the Miss World album.

Grohl now > Cobain then.

Pearl Jam way > then Nirvana.

Wintermute

Banned
Ry_Trapp0 said:
i think nirvana is the better band because they were more innovative/creative. while i love the foo fighters sound, all their songs sound similar(including their awesom new single, the pretender). nirvana had songs that you could tell were nirvana songs, but could be picked out with ease in the first few seconds of the song. "about a girl" sounds different from "breed", which sounds different from "lithium", which sounds different from "polly", which sounds different from "sappy"(i LOVE that song). yet you can still tell they are all nirvana songs. foo fighters, "breakout" sounds similar to "DOA", which sounds similar to "everlong", which sounds similar to "my hero", which sounds similar to "monkey wrench". they do have some songs that sound different, such as "stacked actors"(my favorite song of theirs), but, for the most part, their songs are similar.

both bands are awesome though, i dont think that can be disputed(well, i guess it can after seeing a lot of the replies in this thread).

Thats like saying that every RHCP song sounds the same.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
You are smoking total rocks on this one. Foo Fighters are a very entertaining band. Nevermind is one of the best records ever, regardless of decade, period.

Smells Like Teen Sprit, In Bloom, Come as you Are, Breed, Lithium, Polly, Lounge Act, Stay Away, On a Plain, Something in the Way...you're talking about 10 songs on a 12 song record being genre defining classics.

People that compare Nirvana and Pearl Jam :rolleyes: Steve Albini wouldn't piss on Eddie Vedder's whining from a rooftop.

And for the record, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden all represent completely different kinds of music and got lumped together because of the timing. Listen to In Utero and tell me Nirvana had absolutely anything to do with those other bands...Chris Cornell remains a serious talent and Badmotorfinger was a fantastic record.

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
nirvana is one of the best bands in any catatgory ever.

to be honest, i do not think foo fighters have very good music.

if you think foo fighters are better, your an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread