Engine locked up at 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

twistedneck

Established Member
Black2012, the piston usually must contact something solid in order to bend a connecting rod w/o FI so I don't think you could have bent it when you drove it for the first 100 miles.

It was 100% ok for the first 100 miles, and since you didn't see any issues with the plugs the valves probably didn't fail and drop into the cylinder.

Hydrolock would explain it, I am very interested to know what happened. Did they change injectors before getting it up on the dyno? was this the first engine start after they swapped injectors?

Edit, the gaskets may have also failed - but you didn't say it was blowing out steam - but since it happened immediately after they started it up that last time the act of starting it could have been enough if the coolant suddenly leaked into the cylinder.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
1CFA865C-5FD5-4DFC-8CC4-583EA147BA02-977-000000699F8105F8_zps6e5eaa50.jpg

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
This is a known problem by Ford, they just aren't talking very much about it. Truestreet in no way or manner at fault for this. Do your research people.

CPRsm

Damn you guys are quick to blame the shop lol. If it was an injector the oil will smell like gas. Then send the injectors out to be tested. I've seen where the HG just barely weeps. Had a car pull up to my shop and shut it off. Go back to start it up an hour later and it sounds like a dead battery. It locked so bad the piston didn't get a running start before hitting the water and his rod was fine. You probably started to fill a cyl a good bit from TDC.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
This is a known problem by Ford, they just aren't talking very much about it. Truestreet in no way or manner at fault for this. Do your research people.

So help us out here because I've never heard of bent rods being a ford issue? I even did a search an found nothing. So if you could provide the data to back up your claim it would be nice. Id like to know how it lasted 4500miles if it was a Ford factory issue. I'm not blamming any shop here but I don't see Ford fixing this under warrenty. Looking from the pic something cause it to bend.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Damn you guys are quick to blame the shop lol. If it was an injector the oil will smell like gas. Then send the injectors out to be tested. I've seen where the HG just barely weeps. Had a car pull up to my shop and shut it off. Go back to start it up an hour later and it sounds like a dead battery. It locked so bad the piston didn't get a running start before hitting the water and his rod was fine. You probably started to fill a cyl a good bit from TDC.

How so, I'm not seeing where anyone blamed the shop?

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
So is there any guess as to why it bent other than speculation of poor rod material ??? Rods just don't bend that easy , even cheap ones .....just a weird situation I guess

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I stop short of blaming the shop.

However, I have a hard time believing that one or more of those modifications weren't to blame . . . whether it was faulty installation or a culmination of correctly installed mods that added up to a problem.

Those who know my post history know I'm not a Ford fanboy, but blaming this on faulty parts from the factory is a huge stretch.

Flame away.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

Not blameing true street at all and havent seen anyone blameing them.

Also searched and found nothing relating to this, also never heard of this before on a coyote.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Fun4me

Established Member
In think they should go 50/50, his parts their labor and build a bad-ass block.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
In think they should go 50/50, his parts their labor and build a bad-ass block.

That's absurd. The shop isn't responsible for the factory limitations of the motor. The modifications exceeded the ability of the factory pieces in which the owner willingly paid the shop to install. The car fine after the mods.

JerryC

Established Member
IF the injectors are bad and caused a hydro lock and the shop supplied them as part of the job, then the shop is responsible for making it right. They should make the case to injector manufacturer to cover it.

It could be caused by something else as CPRsm said and you'd have to look at each cause as it's own area of responsibility.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
IF the injectors are bad and caused a hydro lock and the shop supplied them as part of the job, then the shop is responsible for making it right. They should make the case to injector manufacturer to cover it.

It could be caused by something else as CPRsm said and you'd have to look at each cause as it's own area of responsibility.

No. That's part of what is wrong with society today, self entitlement and placing the blame on others.

In this hobby, we choose to modify our vehicles far beyond the design of what our cars are meant for, but yet when something goes wrong rather than taking responsibility for it they rather look to place the blame on a shop that was paid to do the job. The shop can't be held responsible for modifying a car unless they are grossly negilgent for something like leaving a lug nut off a wheel or something. lol.

The owner is ultimately responsible for making the decision to modify his/her own vehicle and accept whatever consquences that come with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread