Engine locked up at 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
I posted this post in the accufab thread so here it is again.

Well guys I don't know where to start. I took my car in on Tuesday cause the shop is doing a e85 tune. I put the new TB on and told them to run a baseline before the e85 stuff. They couldn't get to my car till friday morning cause of tuning issues with another car. They drove my car out of the shop fine and it drove onto the dyno fine. They turned it off to strap it down and when they try to start it up again it turned over twice and clunk. They tried it again and it sounded like the starter spun freely. They put the car on the lift took the starter off and it looked fine, the flywheel looked good. They took out the plugs they looked good. They try to turn the crank by hand and they couldn't. The engine is locked up. They are supposed to tear it apart on Tuesday to see what the hell is going on. My car is a 2012 with only 4500 miles on it. So hopefully its a timing chain or something simple.

twayne8403

Established Member
That sucks but it doesn't sound like a timing chain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Swetrid

Established Member
Doesn't sound good! Even if it was a timing chain the valves will be bent and could have piston damage.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
I just had these cams installed less then 100 miles ago so hopefully it has something to do with that. It's just weird that the car drove fine backing out of the shop and onto the dyno. Then turned it off and try to crank it again and it locks up.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Doesn't sound good! Even if it was a timing chain the valves will be bent and could have piston damage.

Maybe it's time for a boss shortblock. I'm just curious what happened and what caused it to lock up.

bmitchell373

Established Member

I was told, but dont know 100% that these are a non interference motor.

Even with a timing chain issue you would be able to spin it one way or another.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Is this the same shop that installed the cams 100 miles ago? Motors don't just lock up, something happened and most likely has to do with that.

Sly Fox

Established Member
Story that you're getting from the shop sounds very suspicious.

squeak93

Established Member
Pistons meet valves.... I to would bet it's can install related.

silver50

Established Member
I would recommend they look at the vvt cam phasers. When I bought my car used with 5500 miles on it. I was driving down from pasadena with the car in cruise control. about 10 miles from home, I lost oil pressure and the engine stopped working. After having it towed to a ford dealership right down the road from where the car stopped, we found out a couple days later that the vvt cam phasers broke and sent metal fragments throughout my whole engine. Luckily, after about a month and numerous test ford replaced the whole engine under warranty free of charge for me. since you just did cams installed I would looking to this as the problem. good luck man.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
I would recommend they look at the vvt cam phasers. When I bought my car used with 5500 miles on it. I was driving down from pasadena with the car in cruise control. about 10 miles from home, I lost oil pressure and the engine stopped working. After having it towed to a ford dealership right down the road from where the car stopped, we found out a couple days later that the vvt cam phasers broke and sent metal fragments throughout my whole engine. Luckily, after about a month and numerous test ford replaced the whole engine under warranty free of charge for me. since you just did cams installed I would looking to this as the problem. good luck man.

Yeah the shop mention that it could be the cam phasers too.

Swetrid

Established Member
Most aftermarket cams require the phaser limiter kit to prevent piston to valve interference during normal engine operation so if the chain broke you will definitely have problems.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Most aftermarket cams require the phaser limiter kit to prevent piston to valve interference during normal engine operation so if the chain broke you will definitely have problems.

They put those in with the cam install.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I guess you gotta pay to play, any time you start modding a car you should always be prepared for the worst. I'm sorry you have to deal with this I know it must be frustrateing but it sounds like you know how this game is played. Hope its something small, good luck man.

Last edited:

BLK2012GT

Established Member
I guess you gotta pay to play, any time you start modding a car you should always be prepared for the worst. I'm sorry you have to deal with this I know it must be frustrateing but it sounds like you know how this game is played. Hope its something small, good luck man.

Yeah I know you gotta pay to play but if its cause my the cam install or something not done right, I better not pay a dime for the repair.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Damn man that sucks keep us updated. This is the 1st I've heard on the new 5.0s locking up.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yeah I know you gotta pay to play but if its cause my the cam install or something not done right, I better not pay a dime for the repair.

If its related to the shop work. Then there should be no reason you will pay anything. And you need to stick to that.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

BlackMamba3

Established Member
First time I've heard of a motor locking up. I'd wager it's because of the cam install. If you have to pay a cent, I'd be sueing the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread