Engine locked up at 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

87hatchy

Established Member
...annnnnnnd that's why I do my own work and never leave my car at any shop, ever...

D.T.R

Established Member
First time I've heard of a motor locking up. I'd wager it's because of the cam install. If you have to pay a cent, I'd be sueing the shop.
+1
...annnnnnnd that's why I do my own work and never leave my car at any shop, ever...

I'm just like you, do 99% of everything myself, but some people have the money to have a shop do it... and if i had that kind of money I'd probably do the same.. can't blame them. Hopefully the shop will step it up and resolve the issue.

kingnut

Established Member
+1

I'm just like you, do 99% of everything myself, but some people have the money to have a shop do it... and if i had that kind of money I'd probably do the same.. can't blame them. Hopefully the shop will step it up and resolve the issue.

Nah 99% of people that take their cars to a shop because they dont know how to do the install them self. This is why id rather pay a gear head with my exact car to do the work.

87hatchy

Established Member

Yep, cost is definitely a big reason why I do it myself. The dang parts are expensive enough as it is! The problem with shops doing it - even if you have a ton of money - is situations like this. Maybe they'll be cool and admit fault and replace whatever went wrong free of charge, and that'd be nice. But it could also go completely the other way and they can say it wasn't there fault, it just happened, blah blah etc. And look what happens if that is the situation...The OP will have pretty much just paid someone to mess their car up. "Here is $1,000 to ruin my engine so I can pay thousands more to get it fixed." Then you need to deal with sueing and legal battles and all the other headaches while your car potentially sits for months until everything gets figured out. That is worst case scenario, but it could happen.

In summary: Do your own work haha :beer:

BUT, I am NOT knocking the OP in any way. Cam installs on these coyotes seem very involved and I personally have never done it myself. Can't blame him for taking it somewhere. I would probably look into it as well for these engines. They certainly aren't the simple fox 5.0s that I have the most experience with...

Last edited:

BLK2012GT

Established Member
This shop is a very well known shop and I trust them to do the right thing. The owner is good people and he said if its from the cam install everything will be taken care of and I don't have to pay a penny. Even if it requires a new block. If it isn't from the cam install of course I would have to pay something cause it wasn't from the work the shop did. But even then the owner said that he would help me as much as he can which is why I let them work on my car. Plus one of my good friends is the owner best friends so I always have that connection. LOL

87hatchy

Established Member
This shop is a very well known shop and I trust them to do the right thing. The owner is good people and he said if its from the cam install everything will be taken care of and I don't have to pay a penny. Even if it requires a new block. If it isn't from the cam install of course I would have to pay something cause it wasn't from the work the shop did. But even then the owner said that he would help me as much as he can which is why I let them work on my car. Plus one of my good friends is the owner best friends so I always have that connection. LOL

That's great then! I always feel so bad when I hear stories of people that get into bad situations after a shop did their work, something broke, and shop doesn't take responsibility. Sounds like a stand up group of guys working there. Hope everything works out for ya.

Please update when you find out what caused this! I'm very interested...

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Yes, the shop is True Street. They are by far the best shop any of our local 5.0 club guys have dealt with about anything. I've only been there myself for some stock baseline dyno pulls, but I will be going back for a custom tune within the next year.

faztcobra

Established Member
Yes, the shop is True Street. They are by far the best shop any of our local 5.0 club guys have dealt with about anything. I've only been there myself for some stock baseline dyno pulls, but I will be going back for a custom tune within the next year.
I've been to one of their dyno days, but haven't had any work done by them. I've dealt with HPP Racing and never had a problem.

Mr. Phace

Established Member
I'll sell you my engine for 4k, foo.
I'll even drive it up to True Street.

Last edited:

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Here is an update on my car. This is the post from the shop owner from a different forum.

Guess i should chime in, We removed the valve covers's and checked all phasers and limiters, cams, timing chains and tensioners. All are in tact and look to be brand new as they should. We checked oil to see if for some reason oil is burn up, nope all looks good. So from there we took oil filter off and cut it open to check for bearing material, metal, ect. No bearing material but there is some metal in the filter. Does not look good, Not sure what could happen to make a motor lock up with no oil issues, no bearings issues and metal in the pan. Ill try to keep you guys posted as we move forward.......

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Doesn't make much sense. A motor isn't going to just lock up and everything looks fine. If it lost all oil pressure the oil light would of been on and should be bad wear and scouring to the bearings and cam journals in the head. Other than that, the engine would of had to been hydro locked or piston to valve contact. If this was my car, I would be at the shop taking pics of everything and inspecting the top of the pistons for signs of valve contact. Not blaming the problem on the shop, but wouldnt put one past them. Not many places want to buy a new motor at 6k for something they did.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
They won't be doing anything for a few days cause of other customers. But the next step they are doing is taking apart the front end and check the oil pump gear cause I had that replace with the billet one when I did the cams swap.

01bluesnake

Established Member
So far the info I collected is

Motor has 4500 miles
Drove fine, turned off by driver, went to start and wouldn't crank
Motor just opened 100 miles ago for cam install by same shop
Billet oil pump gears installed at same time
Motor taking apart and nothing found of the shops doing
Found some metal in the filter ( which is to be expected at 4500 miles from motor breaking in and new cams breaking in)

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
They won't be doing anything for a few days cause of other customers. But the next step they are doing is taking apart the front end and check the oil pump gear cause I had that replace with the billet one when I did the cams swap.

Well that adds a twist to the story, and could be a very good reason the motor locked up.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
So far the info I collected is

Motor has 4500 miles
Drove fine, turned off by driver, went to start and wouldn't crank
Motor just opened 100 miles ago for cam install by same shop
Billet oil pump gears installed at same time
Motor taking apart and nothing found of the shops doing
Found some metal in the filter ( which is to be expected at 4500 miles from motor breaking in and new cams breaking in)

Pretty much it but it was not turned off by me. It was turned off by the shop. I dropped it off last Tuesday to get a e-85 tune. They drove the car out of the shop and in the shop onto the dyno. They switched out the stock injectors to 60lb ones and then they try to start and it never did and got locked up.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Pretty much it but it was not turned off by me. It was turned off by the shop. I dropped it off last Tuesday to get a e-85 tune. They drove the car out of the shop and in the shop onto the dyno. They switched out the stock injectors to 60lb ones and then they try to start and it never did and got locked up.

Ya, ment shop driver as I figured they would put it on the dyno. Sorry to hear about the whole deal, but make sure you get in the shop and take pics of the top of the pistons very good for contact marks as well as bearings. Also get pics of the cam journals as those will get starved first due to oil pressure issues.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Ya, ment shop driver as I figured they would put it on the dyno. Sorry to hear about the whole deal, but make sure you get in the shop and take pics of the top of the pistons very good for contact marks as well as bearings. Also get pics of the cam journals as those will get starved first due to oil pressure issues.

Actually the shop is doing that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread