Engine locked up at 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Car was pulled in, fuel lines removed, injectors/rails were removed, new injectors installed, plugs were pulled, (plugs to be gapped for more nitrous) plugs reinstalled, fuel lines reinstalled. Tried starting car and and motor turned over two times then "clunk" we checked starter then decided to turn motor over by hand to check the flywheel to see if a piece had broke off. Motor would not budge. We pulled plugs again to check for a leaky injector, all cylinders were dry.

I think more than a few people have missed this.
I also think we can officially say a leaky injector/hydrolock can be ruled out as the cause. Lets move on guys

Last edited:

djniknala

Established Member
So, a question related to the discussion but irrelevant to the cause of the OP's problem:

There has been talk about the possibility of hydro-lock from the injectors leaking during removal. How does one ensure this doesn't happen during injector change? Does pulling the fuel pump relay and turning the car over until it won't start anymore preclude the possibility of such a catastrophic problem?

You can do that or pull the spark plugs and turn it over after you installed the new injectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JerryC

Established Member
I think more than a few people have missed this.
I also think we can officially say a leaky injector/hydrolock can be ruled out as the cause. Lets move on guys

I read it and I'd like to put this delicately. If they don't know the cause of the bent rod after a tear down, I discount their trouble shooting techniques.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
You can do that or pull the spark plugs and turn it over after you installed the new injectors.

This thread has me thinking of how to be sure a new (or old) injector isnt sending gas into the engine when it's not supposed to.

Listen for the fuel pump running to keep pressure in the rails?

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As long as using the fuel pump relay technique (per the Roush instructions) will preclude any problems during my upcoming Roush SC install :rolling:

I read that hydro-lock thing, and I thought, "Holy crap, what internet generated concern do I have to consider now?" :dw:

86merc

Established Member
I read that hydro-lock thing, and I thought, "Holy crap, what internet generated concern do I have to consider now?" :dw:

Hydro-lock is no joke. I saw a motor ruin a rod, crank and block because of it. The alky carb leaked internally and it was not pretty.

Liquid does not compress easily.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
I read it and I'd like to put this delicately. If they don't know the cause of the bent rod after a tear down, I discount their trouble shooting techniques.

I understand, so can we go ahead and add Ford Motor Company to your discredited trouble shooting list?

From all thats been gathered Ford has seen the most seizures at this point and has released zero information as far as the public's concerned. Just sayin.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
I understand, so can we go ahead and add Ford Motor Company to your discredited trouble shooting list?

From all thats been gathered Ford has seen the most seizures at this point and has released zero information as far as the public's concerned. Just sayin.

If they have released no info on the issue how do you know they are not learning from the motors they inspected? Or found the issue? You don't.

Do you have proof Ford stuck anyone for paying for anything on one of the motors that seized? Or can you confirm they replaced them all at their own cost? I bet the answer is no again. If Ford is taking care of things what is the issue? I bet you have no proof and are just fishing to start something. It is not helping anything in this thread.

Last edited:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
If they have released no info on the issue how do you know they are not learning from the motors they inspected? Or found the issue? You don't.

Do you have proof Ford stuck anyone for paying for anything on one of the motors that seized? Or can you confirm they replaced them all at their own cost? I bet the answer is no again. If Ford is taking care of things what is the issue? I bet you have no proof and are just fishing to start something. It is not helping anything in this thread.

hahaha
You have lost it. You're just as clueless as me on the problem regarding whats caused these motors to seize. Keep reviewing hydro-lock possibilities, because its getting somewhere :bored:

Me. unlike most in this thread, have had quite a few experiences with the shop that performed the work. Never had a problem, but who gives a shit right?

Carry on.

86merc

Established Member
hahaha
You have lost it. You're just as clueless as me on the problem regarding whats caused these motors to seize. Keep reviewing hydro-lock possibilities, because its getting somewhere :bored:

Me. unlike most in this thread, have had quite a few experiences with the shop that performed the work. Never had a problem, but who gives a shit right?

Carry on.

How am I just as clueless for asking you questions and to prove what you posted? You can't answer the questions and or provide proof of your claims so you come back at me saying I am clueless? :lol:

As far as hydo-lock goes...I quoted and commented on someone wondering if hydro-lock is some thing to consider. I said it was. I didn't say any thing about the original posters car or situation.

I prefer to deal in facts and not unsubstantiated claims on the internet. I asked for facts and instead get called a name. BWAHAHAHA

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member

I did not see where FoMoCo had issued a statement on bent rods, just what the shop reported he heard from a couple of dealerships.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member

Where are you getting this info about the many seized motors Ford has had? Without documentation its just another rumor.
If it wasn't hydro locked, and the oil was free from fuel. Could it be lack of oil?
I read that there wasn't any oil on the bearings when the motor was disassembled. Is it fair to assume the shop didn't prime the oil system before starting the motor? I would love to see the crank bearings and journals.
We always use a pressurized oil tank to prime the oil system before starting a new motor.

Last edited:

awful knawful

Established Member

Carry on.

so you're siding with the shop because you've had good experiences with them. that's only human nature to do so.
the rest of us don't have a pony in this race so we're a bit more open to who/ what may be the cause.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I did not see where FoMoCo had issued a statement on bent rods, just what the shop reported he heard from a couple of dealerships.

Exactly an then the shop posted a link about a 5.0 that went bad because of lack of oil. Which has nothing to do with a bent rod.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
OK. This thread has run it's course.

OP. Keep us updated on the progress of your new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread