Engine locked up at 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleek98

Established Member
Would bet on a bent rod as well from a sticky injector. Have them pull the pan before the front case. It would be the most likely case since the only thing that changed from running to locked up is the injectors.

Napoleon85

Established Member
Just read all this, definitely sucks. I hope they get you all sorted out!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Cam swap, injector swap and billet oil pump gear install by the same shop sounds like.

Something is not right. Hopeing the OP will chime in soon.

-Thomas

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
It is a known fact that there have been many other 5.0s coming into Ford dealers on completely stock motors with locked up engines due to bent rods. The shop even called the local dealer and they confirmed that they have even seen some in person.

To me it sounds like a weak rod material somehow...especially with the power level he was making. It was only a matter of time, and all the other cars did the same around 5k miles as well.

Jeff will chime in eventually with more details, as I pulled most of this from memory from our local forum.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It's easy to hydro a cylinder when swapping injectors if you're not careful. Not saying they did, but it could sure happen.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
It is a known fact that there have been many other 5.0s coming into Ford dealers on completely stock motors with locked up engines due to bent rods. The shop even called the local dealer and they confirmed that they have even seen some in person.

To me it sounds like a weak rod material somehow...especially with the power level he was making. It was only a matter of time, and all the other cars did the same around 5k miles as well.

Jeff will chime in eventually with more details, as I pulled most of this from memory from our local forum.

No offense but I have not heard about this from anyone in my dealer connections and have not seen it at work.

Not saying it was due to the injector install but takeing off a couple injectors and letting all that fuel fall down in the cylinder can easily hydrolock a motor.

-Thomas

Fun4me

Established Member
No offense but I have not heard about this from anyone in my dealer connections and have not seen it at work.

Not saying it was due to the injector install but takeing off a couple injectors and letting all that fuel fall down in the cylinder can easily hydrolock a motor.

-Thomas
So whats the proper way to upgrade injectors?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
There was a thread going on another mustang forum from late 2011 or early 2012, I can't remember when without going to look, but a guy drove from NC to South Florida and the motor locked up just outside Pensacola. Completely stock motor, and that's what the findings were. Ford replaced the motor though. Need heard of they found out anything after that.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
It's easy to hydro a cylinder when swapping injectors if you're not careful. Not saying they did, but it could sure happen.

I don't really see that happening in a matter of a few mins (if that long) of replacing injectors, inside a shop, under the cover of the hood. But yeah, it could happen.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
So whats the proper way to upgrade injectors?

Take the fuel rail and injector assembly off the car and over to the bench. Removing an injector lets a lot of fuel out, potentially right into the open hole directly beneath if done on the car.

Last edited:

Jedisalami

Established Member
I can see it happening I guess, say they lifted rail to change injectors without disconnecting it at the fuel line, and pissed fuel down the intake

edit: dont copy my post time!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Take the fuel rail and injector assembly off the car and over to the bench. Removing an injector lets a lot of fuel out, potentially right into the open hole directly beneath if done on the car.

I will admit on my car I threw a thick rag under the injector before disconnecting it from the rail to absorb the excess fuel.

-Thomas

JerryC

Established Member
I had not thought of that. I was thinking a bad injector that just dumped fuel into the cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread