Engine locked up at 4500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ok, I would still advise to do your own investigating of the parts and not leave everything up to them. As it looks I'm not sure how they can come out of the deal holding you responsible if they go that way. Just remember, money can make nice good people turn to something else. I've seen it personally, and just don't want to see you get burned on the deal. If they have to buy a motor, their labor, plus any damage to the new cams or pump gears due to oil issues, the bill could go up to 10k easy as a loss for them. Go there and look at all the parts, take pics of anything you can see and ask questions.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Leaky injector, hydro locked???

Possible, but would of been obvious after the plugs were pulled if that was the issue. The car would of also turned over after that, minus a possible bent rod or other minor damage. The oil would of also had a tone of fuel in it as well.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
Possible, but would of been obvious after the plugs were pulled if that was the issue. The car would of also turned over after that, minus a possible bent rod or other minor damage. The oil would of also had a tone of fuel in it as well.

Agree... and... if a part broke off instead of just bending the rod it could be locked. Gas in one cylinder, wouldnt take much to lock it and quick pull of the plugs wouldnt show any thing but a wet plug. If they werent looking for that it might not have gotten noticed.

Just throwing that out there as nothing else makes sense either at this point.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Ok, I would still advise to do your own investigating of the parts and not leave everything up to them. As it looks I'm not sure how they can come out of the deal holding you responsible if they go that way. Just remember, money can make nice good people turn to something else. I've seen it personally, and just don't want to see you get burned on the deal. If they have to buy a motor, their labor, plus any damage to the new cams or pump gears due to oil issues, the bill could go up to 10k easy as a loss for them. Go there and look at all the parts, take pics of anything you can see and ask questions.

Yeah I know man and I appreciate it. I'm up there every day and today I took pics of the top end of the engine.

86merc

Established Member
Did they pull the starter and accessory belts then try to turn the motor over by hand? By hand I mean a wrench on the balancer bolt.

I have seen two starters fail where they wedged the starter shaft and would not allow the motor to turn over.

I have also seen things like throttle body screws come loose and fall into the motor.

I hope it turns out to be something of a easy fix and no damage.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Since op said then went to crank after sitting, I can see a bent rod more likely than a snapped one due to low rpm, but wouldn't rule out what you said as well. If that's they case, then the cause could be a bad injector, although if not and is a oil problem will more than likely eating a motor.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Did they pull the starter and accessory belts then try to turn the motor over by hand? By hand I mean a wrench on the balancer bolt.

I have seen two starters fail where they wedged the starter shaft and would not allow the motor to turn over.

I have also seen things like throttle body screws come loose and fall into the motor.

Ya, he noted earlier they pulled the starter and plugs and couldnt get to budge. I would have them check the a/c compressor though if they didn't already by taking the belt off bypassing that, have seen them lock up.

Last edited:

BLK2012GT

Established Member

Yes they took the starter off and it looked good. And yes they try to turn the motor at the crank by hand and it wouldn't move in either direction.

86merc

Established Member
Ya, he noted earlier they pulled the started and plugs and couldnt get to budge. I would have them check the a/c compressor though if they didn't already by taking the belt off bypassing that, have seen them lock up.

I read it a few days ago in the Accufab thread. Just reread the original post. He says they inspected every thing. But didn't say if they tried to turn it over by hand.

And I recommended the acc belt for the same reasoning as what you said. You would think it would still turn the motor over and the belt would squeel like crazy. But you never know. And it is a easy thing to try. Helps eliminate possibilities.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
I read it a few days ago in the Accufab thread. Just reread the original post. He says they inspected every thing. But didn't say if they tried to turn it over by hand.

And I recommended the acc belt for the same reasoning as what you said. You would think it would still turn the motor over and the belt would squeel like crazy. But you never know. And it is a easy thing to try. Helps eliminate possibilities.

You might want to reread my first post in this thread. I said they try to turn the crank by hand.

CPRsm

Leaky injector, hydro locked???

First thing I thought of when he said injector replacement, too. Bend them good enough (rod looses length) and the counter balance will contact the underside of the piston locking it. I wouldn't bother pulling the front of the motor yet. Easier and faster to drop the pan and look for the problem at this point.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
OP if I was in your shoes i would be down at the shop and pulling that oil pan and timing cover off, better then waiting around for them to finish up other customers cars.

The wait would be killing me big time.

-Thomas

BLK2012GT

Established Member
OP if I was in your shoes i would be down at the shop and pulling that oil pan and timing cover off, better then waiting around for them to finish up other customers cars.

The wait would be killing me big time.

-Thomas

The wait is killing me too. I would love to do some of the work on the tear down but I want them to do all the work so they can't blame anything on me if I did something wrong.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The wait is killing me too. I would love to do some of the work on the tear down but I want them to do all the work so they can't blame anything on me if I did something wrong.

Completely understandable, hope it all works out bro!

-Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread