Difficulty coming to terms with AED tune

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I don't like it either.
Although all my tunes have it, some cars just don't pop at all. (Since this thread I've been getting customers requesting the pop put into their tunes.). I believe a lot of it has to do with exhaust leaks and the system as a whole.

The fuel left in the exhaust can not light off unless it mixes to a near stoich value with outside air. Exhaust leaks let this outside air in under decel conditions.

So for customers wanting more pop...just go **** with your exhaust pretty much lol?

darreng505

Established Member
I don't like it either.
Although all my tunes have it, some cars just don't pop at all. (Since this thread I've been getting customers requesting the pop put into their tunes.). I believe a lot of it has to do with exhaust leaks and the system as a whole.

The fuel left in the exhaust can not light off unless it mixes to a near stoich value with outside air. Exhaust leaks let this outside air in under decel conditions.

Mine lights off just fine without a leak...I think the vacuum state in the system under decel (reduced timing) pulls air in through the exhaust.

I have straight side pipes though.

Shaun@AED

Mine lights off just fine without a leak...I think the vacuum state in the system under decel (reduced timing) pulls air in through the exhaust.

I have straight side pipes though.

Exactly.
And exhaust leaks would make it worse.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
My exhaust only snaps and crackles :shrug:

Should I b concerned with no pop?

twistedneck

Established Member
its part of the secret sauce we are never going to get the 100% full explanation of why it pops and cracks more on decel vs. a bama tune or any other usual tune. I think its impossible for him to make it super clear or everyone will know. I bet CPRSM already does. I sure don't but I remember asking Shaun what was wrong with my car at first till I floored it and started bangin gears then I just have to become a 2000 rpm or less master in traffic.

CPRsm

I think its impossible for him to make it super clear or everyone will know. I bet CPRSM already does.
Yes he does lol
But not my kung fu to share. I'm not putting it back though. It fixed the problem I was seeing and it's 10 times more noticable w a turbo car. Except the popping isn't always popping, it's a BANG. Damn hot turbo lol. But at least on this car I can drive around it pretty easy. Only does it under certain conditions.

bcolenj

Established Member
I have the same popping with a Lund tune, Whipple, LT (/w ORX), Borla Type-S all the way back. The decel popping isn't that bad, what bothers me is the "blatty", as someone else put it, from 2k - 3k rpm and during WOT. It sounds pretty bad. Im sure the WOT part is more of an exhaust issue than a tuning one though.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
shaun helped tune my car and im pretty happy with it. only real problem is, instead of the "pop pop pop" sound i specifically asked for more of a "pew pew pew" sound. i want it to sound like its shooting lazers. hes yet to send me that revision. not sure im sat

Deranged2013

Established Member
If you go to a short track Nascar race and set in turns 1 or 3, you will notice all the cars popping and cracking while decelerating into the turns. They also have a bit of fire coming out the side exhausts. Now only if we could just get the fire added in with the sound, we would be set. lol

CPRsm

shaun helped tune my car and im pretty happy with it. only real problem is, instead of the "pop pop pop" sound i specifically asked for more of a "pew pew pew" sound. i want it to sound like its shooting lazers. hes yet to send me that revision. not sure im sat
Then you're talking to the wrong person. You need to talk to me. I can custom tailor a BOV for you to be just like that. LOL

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
If you go to a short track Nascar race and set in turns 1 or 3, you will notice all the cars popping and cracking while decelerating into the turns. They also have a bit of fire coming out the side exhausts. Now only if we could just get the fire added in with the sound, we would be set. lol

Not gonna lie some flames on hard up shifts would be sick lol because race car!

Nuar

Established Member
Yeah. Mine shotguns and lights the pipes between shifts on hard runs. Because turbos

In this case i think i could deal with the pops. At least there is a good reson for it with some other special effects lol :rockon:

65sohc

Established Member
Just to be clear OP, are you saying that your exhaust pops continuously on decel? Mine pops on a rev-matched downshift but it lasts for less than a second.

Users who are viewing this thread