Difficulty coming to terms with AED tune

65sohc

Established Member
I used to have a 94 Supra, 522 whp single turbo conversion with standalone AED programmable engine computer. Normally on lift throttle fuel would be shut off until it hit around 1500 rpm. I discovered that by retarding the timing and adding fuel on over run it would pop and sounded cool. The more fuel I added the more it popped to the point it would shoot out flames. Flames out of the Boss quad pipes. Now THAT would be cool.

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
No shit.

I don't mind the popping, but some of the guys are probably older or they just don't want an obnoxious exhaust that keeps popping. I don't see what the big deal is?

I've gotten pulled over in the next town over for "modified exhaust" then anywhere else combined. If its popping constantly its asking for attention so I can't blame OP. Maybe he just likes a smooth exhaust note.

Exhaust popping doesn't add inches to your ****.

I personally like it, but there's a limit.

If they're older you'd assume they'd be used to much louder cars than these :shrug:

Phil DoWork

Established Member
Ohhhhh boy, sounds like a few guys in here need the Tampon Tune...

Does the car drive well at partial throttle?
Is the car fast?
Has it blown up?

People that make threads like this need to just leave cars stock. The man (AED) tunes your car over the INTERNET and THIS is what you complain about? Really?

We have a winner.... +1 this all day.

03Steve

Established Member
On EECV this can be corrected in the Spark Under Decel table, where present. Rule of thumb is...the lower the engine timing under decel, the greater the intensity of exhaust popping.

Shaun@AED

On EECV this can be corrected in the Spark Under Decel table, where present. Rule of thumb is...the lower the engine timing under decel, the greater the intensity of exhaust popping.

Copperheads work a little differently.
That table is set at 60 degrees already.
These ECU's pull timing from different tables depending on the decel condition, cam timing, torque commanded, etc. Its not a simple 1 table change.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
My old tune used to pop. Current AED works great, do you have any vids of the popping you are experiencing?

You could purchase some resonators and place some sound deadener in your trunk floor to help quiet down the popping a bit.

*old tune i still run from time to time*:thumbsup:
th_20130411_213151_zpsdd9e3400.jpg

What was your exhaust set up in that vid?...Sounds like O/R X and some sort of muffler delete perhaps?

Nuar

Established Member
I love my cars loud, a loud v8 is the best sounding car to me. Hands down.
But the shotgun blasts from the exhaust pipes sound like complete $h!t to me.
Thats just not what i like. To me a smooth v8 roar sounds WAY better than a raspy crackle followed by a shotgun blast.
Not because i need tampon, its because that is what i prefer.

For comparison, on my old 4.6l, I absolutely hated slp catbacks. They sounded like crap to me, but I loved my Magnaflow Magnapack catback. I always disliked the sound of the x pipes on those motors as well.

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
I guess I never really thought twice about it. I've got one of the loudest exhaust setups as well and it doesn't bother me one bit. My cammed fox is way rougher then the coyote.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I get the popping and cracking on deceleration when I run the Boss trackey and that's with stock exhaust. Had it with my last car that had an AED tune. Must be a good thing.

SCalla1384

Established Member
If they're older you'd assume they'd be used to much louder cars than these :shrug:

Yea but it doesn't mean they want to drive one. Like I said, it causes a lot of attention. I'll go 30mph down a street and ill get yelled at to slow down da****? And sometimes cops can be pricks about it.

It mostly comes down to changing your exhaust setup. Get some quiet mufflers, catted mid pipe and keep the stock resonators on.

mxracer409

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the input. And thanks to those who actually added meaningful posts and educated me on exactly what is going on with the fuel run off (Always appreciate your input Shaun and your customer service is top notch) I am however going to agree to disagree with many of you on what sounds cool. Guess I better go check my tampon now.

Shaun@AED

Thanks everyone for the input. And thanks to those who actually added meaningful posts and educated me on exactly what is going on with the fuel run off (Always appreciate your input Shaun and your customer service is top notch) I am however going to agree to disagree with many of you on what sounds cool. Guess I better go check my tampon now.

I don't like it either.
Although all my tunes have it, some cars just don't pop at all. (Since this thread I've been getting customers requesting the pop put into their tunes.). I believe a lot of it has to do with exhaust leaks and the system as a whole.

The fuel left in the exhaust can not light off unless it mixes to a near stoich value with outside air. Exhaust leaks let this outside air in under decel conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread