Difficulty coming to terms with AED tune

mxracer409

Established Member
Hope I'm not gonna stir up a pissing match here about tunes but this is a serious question. For all the people with AED tunes, O/R cross overs, and some sort of resonator deletes, do you experience excessive muffler explosions (severe popping)? Now i realize it's going to pop more with out the resonators, but this is getting out of hand. I can't even shift gears around town without my car belching out pop pop. (And we are talking easy grandpa driving here). For a sanity check i loaded a tune from a previous tuner (not going to mention) to see if it was just the characteristics of the OTA pipes and sadly it isn't. The other tune doesn't experience any of this annoying popping and also isn't nearly as "blatty" from 2k-3k RPM. I would much rather keep the AED tune but it is getting to an unbearable point now.

Mods list:
JBA SS O/R H
JPC OTA pipes
Mac SS mufflers
JLT CAI

I have gone back an forth with Shawn on this a couple times and he has always been nice and responsive and made revisions but i was told I'm at the point now were it is "as good as it is going to get." I like the power, not popping.

str3ck

Established Member
i can't vouch for AED's tuning, but i can tell you (as you've already discovered on your own) it IS tune dependent. I went to get my car dyno tuned at a recommended shop and he couldn't get it done, but when I left I had the same popping sounds you are talking about.

Right now I am dealing with a different tuner via e-mail and while we still haven't got the tune dialed in all the way, there are none of the popping sounds unless i'm winding it way out.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I don't have an AED but I like the sound of the popping on decel bc it makes her sound like a dirty girl

pohnjarker

Established Member
Shaun can explain it better, but if i remember correctly, he said something like the gas doesnt cut off as much as stock in between shifts so when you shift, you dont lose much power and can get on it better in the next gear...that's the cause of the popping.

hopefully shaun can chime in because i dont feel i have explained it the best way.

5PNTSLO

Established Member
That's bullshit, a cylinder with unburnt gas being puahed out the exhaust will cause the o2 sensors to read rich then go lean to compensate for that then you're back on the gas they freak out from being lean and over compensate againg, right back rich.
The car would run much better if it was properly tuned.

My BBR tune don't have any of them issues!!

Last edited:

turd burglar

Established Member
Vettes and zl1's pop like crazy on decel, they call it active fuel cutoff, basically dumps fuel for the sole purpose that it sounds cool.

pohnjarker

Established Member
That's bullshit, a cylinder with unburnt gas being puahed out the exhaust will cause the o2 sensors to read rich then go lean to compensate for that then you're back on the gas they freak out from being lean and over compensate againg, right back rich.
The car would run much better if it was properly tuned.

My BBR tune don't have any of them issues!!

yea man, not sure if i explained it right, its been so long since Shaun explained it to me.

I've had a BBR tune as well and didnt have the popping issue with that tune.

IMO, and only IMO: AED>BAMA>BBR>Brenspeed

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
My last revision of my AED tune did it. I was running the Boss quad exhaust. But after installing my LT Headers and catted H with my updated tune, it seems to be gone.

darreng505

Established Member
yea man, not sure if i explained it right, its been so long since Shaun explained it to me.

I've had a BBR tune as well and didnt have the popping issue with that tune.

IMO, and only IMO: AED>BAMA>BBR>Brenspeed

There's no such thing as a popping issue . It's normal for a performance tune for reasons explained above, mostly overrun and fuel add.
The ECU should be programmed not to overcompensate when this happens (and in cases of O/R exhaust the rear O2's are just removed) on decel and the timing should be retarded on decel as well.

This is a "feature" of trackey!

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
There is a reason for all the "popping". Shawn already explained this several times. There is a performance gain behind it... I'm sure he'll get on here and explain it once again.

pohnjarker

Established Member
There's no such thing as a popping issue . It's normal for a performance tune for reasons explained above, mostly overrun and fuel add.
The ECU should be programmed not to overcompensate when this happens (and in cases of O/R exhaust the rear O2's are just removed) on decel and the timing should be retarded on decel as well.

This is a "feature" of trackey!

lol...semantics

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
My car with pypes LT's, pypes o/r x pipe, no resonators and bassani catback pops like crazy when shifting. Shaun mentioned to me before that it makes it easier to shift into gear.

IMO the popping sounds like a racecar.

darreng505

Established Member
^ whys that? Because the rpm aren't dropping as fast?

I'm no tuner, but this is my understanding.

At the track, when you decel/brake going into a turn you need to get on the hammer coming out of that turn fast. Because you are only slowing for short periods, the race tune keeps the fuel flowing on decel so its already there when you need to slam the throttle.

This overrun of fuel into the exhaust manifolds ignites and causes the popping.

Without that overrun, you could "bog" when you slammed on the gas after a hard brake as the ECU tries to add fuel at WOT in a semi-lean state.

Nick Nasty

Established Member
My car pops like crazy, but it dosent overly pop if you understand what im saying. I also have one of the loudest exhaust setups available (might a well be straight piped), why? RACEKOR...

Edit*
P.S.: Not an AED tune...

Shaun@AED

You guys got a handle on it.
It's a 'feature' I ran into and is not easily removed without causing adverse effects to performance. I've removed it on some customers tunes due to complaints and I get more complaints that the car 'just isn't as fast or responsive' as it was before. It's also TiVCT and exhaust dependent as some setups do it more than others.

Best I could do was minimize it as it used to be much, much more annoying. And that is how I would classify it...annoying, not an 'issue'. Some love it, others hate it.

FYI If you shift under 2K its pretty much a non issue.

Users who are viewing this thread