Cobra Jet Intake manifold CAI Set up interest??

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Guys,

Please do not waste your money on E85 tune unless you are going FI...we tried it on my Boss and saw NO difference...on the DYNO at Power by the Hour, emptied the tank put some E85, Ken/Lund did their magic and NO increase in HP or Torque.

Regards,

Manuel

When I had my cj set up first installed and tuned my car was only putting out 434/379 on 93. When they switched it to e85 the numbers went to 439/385, went back a a few days later for a little tweaking to the tune and reached 443/386.

Also tuned by PBTH/KenB
Same frpp dual 65mm tb
Upgraded to 47lb injectors
Drews custom 4.5" not PBTHs CAI (somehow made 446/390 on 93P with PBTHs cai, don't know if that was a mistake and those where numbers where they ran their intake on corn, but Frank said they tested their cai before switching fuels.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Finished mine this weekend... CJ intake, SCJ mono blade throttle body, Drew’s custom CAI(Good Job) 47# injectors… AED tune for both 91 pump gas and E85… no dyno runs yet, bad weather heading in, the car will more than likely sit for a month. the last dyno runs 417 at the wheels a while back with long tubes and CAI+ tune. DA was well over 7000 that day…

So I cleaned up the CJ intake as well
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/955953-cobra-jet-manifold-reworking.html

I notice a few things and this might be important for future people doing the same thing... I have a Boss so we are going to talk boss heads... when I installed 1 7/8 headers a year or so ago, I had to measure the exhaust port to verify the header tube was not smaller than the exhaust port, no it is not... JBA 1 7/8 header is an OD measurement, max width of exhaust port matched tube size... sorry I do not remember what the port measured out to be… But I do know this it is larger than the factory exhaust tube size... for real.

I did the intake side…
2.22x 1.23 or 56.43mm x 31.46mm… Now the factory boss intake measured out to be 55.04mm x 32mm… And I have owned both, the factory boss intake is not the same as the FRPP Boss intake, this is in outside appearance, the FRPP is open between each runner and the factory Boss intake has plastic molded between the runners.

My thoughts…
If you make the port larger then you have to make the runner longer as proven by Drew’s test here at this link…
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-stock-ported-boss-w-stock-vs-cai-intake.html
Drew just made them larger… So if you want to get happy with your boss intake, I think the best to do is just polish the casting marks out of the inside and be done with it…
My final CJ intake 57.3mm x 32.28mm on about an average, I tried to get them as close as possible as I could with a Digital Caliper…
well if the CJ intake setup on e85 doesn’t make at least 440 at the wheels, next mod will be a polished factory boss intake, 90mm TB, CAI, CJ cams and big bore long tube headers.
The Cams are the Key, I think, when it’s all said and done.
Intake M-6550-M50BINT
Exhaust M-6550-M50BEXH

Last edited:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Sounds like we will have very similar set-ups soon. Where are you located? I swap between North Dakota and Fort Collins but the Boss always stays here. What year and color is your Boss, I'll have to keep an eye out. I've yet to see another one on the road and I doubt it will happen any time soon.

JohnRichard

Established Member
Sounds like we will have very similar set-ups soon. Where are you located? I swap between North Dakota and Fort Collins but the Boss always stays here. What year and color is your Boss, I'll have to keep an eye out. I've yet to see another one on the road and I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Denver, It is a 12 in Yellow Blaze... do you know slagburn and his 13 GT or Bud and his TT 11 GT?

Jabooh1

Established Member
So I read that the stock boss strut tower brace will not work with the CJ IM. Does anyone know of a Strut Tower brace that does clear the IM and stock hood?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
So I read that the stock boss strut tower brace will not work with the CJ IM. Does anyone know of a Strut Tower brace that does clear the IM and stock hood?
Saw this on rev auto's instagram. Looks like a Boss strut tower brace to me
11637751805_f802d1cfbd_o.jpg

mattadams6552

Established Member
To the guys that have the CJ Manifold, is there a big seat of the pants difference compared to the stock intake? Im sure there is, but is it worth the money, and is it as comparable to the difference as getting a completely stock car tuned? Thanks guys!

JohnRichard

Established Member
To the guys that have the CJ Manifold, is there a big seat of the pants difference compared to the stock intake? Im sure there is, but is it worth the money, and is it as comparable to the difference as getting a completely stock car tuned? Thanks guys!

Open ended question... what is money worth to ya...
In reality, more difference for a coyote then a boss... Not more HP just a larger difference in change. and think cams and long tubes as an adders as well...

Thats my opinion...

Strut Brace,,, stock engine height. flat washers added under the Strut Tower Bar (brace mount)...

I can slide my fingers under it... does anyone know how much the engine moves when under a heavy load... That is what scares me... It is too cold here for me to go out and flog it stupid, summer only tires... When I do try all nannies have to be off and then its like driving on ice...

A washer under each one.
IMG_0459.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel302

Established Member
Washers? I wouldn't do that and it's not a good idea if you actually push your car. The brace would be raised off of the surface of the shock tower. In other words...you just reduced how effective the brace would be since the forces would be transfered directly to the bolts rather than the metal of the shock tower....

JohnRichard

Established Member
Possibly... I really cant see where the tower brace does any other thing... not like it has a slot to fit and the bolts just hold it in place... But, if you are seriously going to road track the car, then lowering the engine would be your best, plus it will lower the center of gravity one would think. To add, why would you need a strut brace to go in a straight line?

JohnRichard

Established Member
To a remote catch can.
I destroyed a JLT catch can I was using on the passenger side, cut the JLT tubing, used 5/8 rubber tubing ran the driver side
to the passenger side of the engine bay. Use the other quick connect end on the passenger side pcv, 5/8 rubber tubing. drilled a 3/8 hole in the top of the catch can, screwed a 3/8 pipe nipple in the hole and attached a filter on top of the pipe nipple... Not the best, but all I had at the time, and it works great.

I have to reconnect my pcv valves back to the intake... it is a state requirement for emissions... When the FRPP CAI is released, I will sell my Drew CAI and use theirs... I am sorry, this is a modern streetcar running a modular engine and I work oil and gas, I already have a monster carbon footprint, if I can reduce it I will...

I will run JLT catch cans on both sides with that CAI.

So there is a Drew CJ CAI for sale in the near future...

Last edited:

Rebel302

Established Member
Possibly... I really cant see where the tower brace does any other thing... not like it has a slot to fit and the bolts just hold it in place... But, if you are seriously going to road track the car, then lowering the engine would be your best, plus it will lower the center of gravity one would think. To add, why would you need a strut brace to go in a straight line?

I would have bought a GT500 if thats what I cared about...:dw:

You wouldn't need it for a straight line it is the hairpin at the end that usually gets you.

spit.gif

schoolboss

Established Member

You can use some spacers...or a better (but more costly) solution, change the motor mounts and drop the engine to get the clearance. That's my plan, anyways.....

schoolboss

Established Member

This....with the caveat that I am lowering my engine to go in a a straight line, but just really like my strut brace. Memories...

Users who are viewing this thread