Boomers to Xoomers, things you don't see anymore?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
No clue what any of that except the MD thing, and haven't been there in at least 20 years. I literally will not touch the energy drinks. Shit makes my heart race. I'm probably 15 years older than you, at least.

Hi-Chews are basically like taffy but they don't stick to your teeth I've found so I don't have to worry about losing a filling lol. Think they have been around for a really long time but they are a Japanese candy. Energy drinks don't have much of an impact on my heart or anything else that I notice. I just like drinking them for the bite in the morning.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Hi-Chews are basically like taffy but they don't stick to your teeth I've found so I don't have to worry about losing a filling lol. Think they have been around for a really long time but they are a Japanese candy. Energy drinks don't have much of an impact on my heart or anything else that I notice. I just like drinking them for the bite in the morning.
Lol kneegrow, those things will yank a crown loose, ask me how I know :LOL:

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
We have changed our eating habits. Don't eat out much, couple times a month? maybe and usually a good local restaurant with good food. Rarely fast food.
We ditched potato chips a few months ago, a bag of tortilla chips remain unopened for weeks (Cinco de Mayo, ya know).

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Hearing yes ma'am or yes sir seems to have gone away faster than smiles in people's faces.

Eye contact seems to be a bad thing now. Whatchu looking at foo?

My boys (15 and 13) are yes ma'am and yes sir to everyone. Perfect eye contact and a strong handshake.

My boys play football, basketball and track. They work out at home at least 3 days a week. Go to church on Sundays, youth ministry on Wednesdays nights. They work on cars with me. They both enjoy shooting guns, fishing and reading. Video games are not part of their lives.

My 15 year old works on a ranch every Saturday, cutting wood, mending fences, helping with cattle, cutting grass.

Small town life. This stuff still exists.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Another thread I could just cut loose on. I’ll keep it short.

I’m 39, drink too much beer, eat too much junk, and sit between 200 and 210 now. Graduated at 150, sat around 170 when I started my job. I could get down to 180 with no problem if I quit beer, shrank my portions, and exercised.

Oldest boy is overweight. He takes zero responsibility for it. Hoping he figures shit out. We feed him moderately healthy at home. Could be better, but could be worse. He just won’t take initiative to cut back on some of the bullshit, but **** me when I say something.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My boys (15 and 13) are yes ma'am and yes sir to everyone. Perfect eye contact and a strong handshake.

My boys play football, basketball and track. They work out at home at least 3 days a week. Go to church on Sundays, youth ministry on Wednesdays nights. They work on cars with me. They both enjoy shooting guns, fishing and reading. Video games are not part of their lives.

My 15 year old works on a ranch every Saturday, cutting wood, mending fences, helping with cattle, cutting grass.

This is a dying breed. I have watched the farms die off and turn into gated communities right before my eyes here in Central Florida. Up till about 2 years ago a long road called Moccasin Wallow was farm land, cattle and orange on both sides. Nearly all of it is in some form a development.

A lot of youngsters probably see quick profit over hard work and the rewards of that work.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
This is a dying breed. I have watched the farms die off and turn into gated communities right before my eyes here in Central Florida. Up till about 2 years ago a long road called Moccasin Wallow was farm land, cattle and orange on both sides. Nearly all of it is in some form a development.

A lot of youngsters probably see quick profit over hard work and the rewards of that work.

I know what you mean. It is sickening to see big ranches turned into suburbia hell holes. Fortunately around here, that's not a problem (yet). City council pushes back on every development.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Same down here Dale. We went down a road yesterday in the first time in forever that was cattle and orange groves, now it's all manufactured homes.
I know what you mean. It is sickening to see big ranches turned into suburbia hell holes. Fortunately around here, that's not a problem (yet). City council pushes back on every development.
The idiots here keep letting them build these apartment complexes and the corporate builders just cram these cracker boxes on these tiny lots they've developed. They never do shit to the infrastructure. Roads aren't able to handle the traffic. There are the same amount of hospitals in this area since I move to this part of the in 1990 and the population has exploded. They're always full. It's just flat out stupid.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Same down here Dale. We went down a road yesterday in the first time in forever that was cattle and orange groves, now it's all manufactured homes.

The idiots here keep letting them build these apartment complexes and the corporate builders just cram these cracker boxes on these tiny lots they've developed. They never do shit to the infrastructure. Roads aren't able to handle the traffic. There are the same amount of hospitals in this area since I move to this part of the in 1990 and the population has exploded. They're always full. It's just flat out stupid.
Want to **** with a Florida driver? Build a traffic circle!

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

I’m 39, drink too much beer, eat too much junk, and sit between 200 and 210 now. Graduated at 150, sat around 170 when I started my job. I could get down to 180 with no problem if I quit beer, shrank my portions, and exercised.
We're two peas in a pod, sir.

I go to the gym 4-5 days a week which basically just helps prevent me from growing mostly due to the beer on weekends. I try to limit my intake to just Friday and Saturday, but with nicer weather comes social events. And, after all, this is WI and most everything is done with a couple two-tree beers.

Work ethic? What's that? I interviewed a 22-year old for a diesel tech spot. Insisted on first shift because he had to be home by 17:00 to let his dog out. Give me a break. Kid hasn't even sprouted his first ball hair and he's after the premium shift? Earn your stripes before you try dictating anything. I just fired a part-timer who spent 80% of his measly 4-hour shift on his phone hiding in the bathrooms. My nephew wanted to change the oil on my sister's car cuz he's in shop class at school. Sweet! Let's do it. Love to help him learn to be useful. He's only 15, but he lost interest once we put the drain plug back in the pan. Next thing I know, he's on the shitter which is apparently a 45-minute chore. I've got a 46-year old "senior" guy who can't make it more than 20min without checking his phone. Guy's addicted and it blows my mind. I thoroughly enjoy leaving my phone in the house or in the car. Don't care, leave me alone.

I live a block from a major high school and watching these moronic kids in their socks, crocs, sweats, hoodies, and douche poof hairdo in their eyes makes my skin crawl. "Bro, dude" and whatever made-up nonsense language they speak nowadays thanks to social media echoes through the neighborhood while they walk - very slowly cuz their phones are in their faces - to their cars. Which, by the way, have really been upgraded since my HS days. Seems like they've all got BMWs, Mercedes, Infinitis...etc. Pubed-faced punks... No respect for anyone or their property either. I'm constantly picking up empty wrappers and garbage in my yard. I'm quite literally the grouchy SOB who lives on the corner and I'm not even a boomer. lol

Yes sir/ma'am... I nearly soiled myself a month ago when I held a door open for this younger dude. "Thank you, sir" as he walked by. I say it all the time, especially to my elders. I'd much rather talk to a random senior citizen than some young shit head who doesn't have a clue yet thinks they know everything. It's sad that it's become refreshing/encouraging when there's a young person who's interested in a skilled trade or working with their hands. "Bro, I'm gonna be an influencer on Ticky-Tocky. Don't forget to smash the like button, bro." Ugh...barf.

I could obviously go on for days here. This is why I loathe going to public places. Stupid, lazy, entitled, oblivious tools who lack any common courtesy or motivation. My best days are those where I don't leave home. lol

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

I read a statistic not to long ago stating that suicides were the highest among small family farmers. Apparently more so than any other occupation. Many farms are just struggling to make ends meet, hard to compete against the large corporate owned operation's.

IMG_0143.jpeg

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Premium Member

Hearing this warms up my soul and makes me realize that there is a little hope out there

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Want to **** with a Florida driver? Build a traffic circle!
There’s a traffic circle in Lee County in Bonita Springs that gets me every god dam time when I’m headed up to Grandpas pizza and I grew up on cape cod.
Home of the rotary.
They’re everywhere up there but this particular one is just rubbish.

So that begs the question. Am I a Florida driver or just plain incompetent?

Don’t answer that. ;)

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There’s a traffic circle in Lee County in Bonita Springs that gets me every god dam time when I’m headed up to Grandpas pizza and I grew up on cape cod.
Home of the rotary.
They’re everywhere up there but this particular one is just rubbish.

So that begs the question. Am I a Florida driver or just plain incompetent?

Don’t answer that. ;)
A poorly thought out traffic circle is nightmare, especially here where drivers aren’t used to them.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Oldest boy is overweight. He takes zero responsibility for it. Hoping he figures shit out. We feed him moderately healthy at home. Could be better, but could be worse. He just won’t take initiative to cut back on some of the bullshit, but **** me when I say something.
How old is your son? Easier said than done but set an example for him.

In some regards my situation is quite different than yours but there are similarities - I'm 40 with a 5 year old and 5 week old son. I've never let myself go in my adult life but especially since I put #2 in the oven I'm making a conscious effort to maintain a proper weight and stay in shape to have enough energy to participate in active things with my boys.

Last fall I ran a 5k and my son was upset he didn't get to participate in the kid's run that day. We figured 1 mile was too much for a 4 year old.

Next month I am running a 5k and the same day he is running a 1k. We have been going out for runs around the block together the last month. We both enjoy the time together and he seems to genuinely enjoying running. We appreciate he gets his energy out in constructive fashion instead of making a big mess at home.

Maybe fitness of some sort whether it be running, biking, pickleball, basketball, BJJ, etc could be something you two could take on together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread