Boomers to Xoomers, things you don't see anymore?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Has anyone else noticed that the younger generation is damn near illiterate? Girl I work with who is 24 or 25 and is the boss' daughter. She is really cool and we get along and joke all day but damn is she terrible with grammar and vocabulary. I guess that was a very common trait for people growing up in the early-mid 20th century but I thought we had gotten better about literacy in general. I know at this point it's on a steep decline and has been for a while in the city public schools. It's hard not to laugh at her when I read some of her emails and when she tries to get bigger words out, but at least she knows it's not a strength of hers.
I have noticed this some too. I think its multiple things, like the ****ing incessant texting they do, its as if they speak in shorthand nowadays. I have noticed plenty of grown ass folks in my age range (40s) doing it as well. When I was doing the online dating app thing, had to look up so many acronyms these bitches were using.. so in a nutshell, I believe our technology ironically is the main cause.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I have noticed this some too. I think its multiple things, like the ****ing incessant texting they do, its as if they speak in shorthand nowadays. I have noticed plenty of grown ass folks in my age range (40s) doing it. When I was doing the online dating app thing, had to look up so many acronyms these bitches were using.. so in a nutshell, I believe our technology ironically is the main cause.

That's a good point. I've always rejected the shorthand acronyms for the most part and only use some of them on here, but rarely. I was an average student being a distracted teenager, but I do credit this forum for gaining a better grasp of grammar and punctuation. Having to read and make out some of the posts from members here and then writing my own posts gave me a lot of practice and helped me understand the importance of writing so people can actually understand you lol.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
That's a good point. I've always rejected the shorthand acronyms for the most part and only use some of them on here, but rarely. I was an average student being a distracted teenager, but I do credit this forum for gaining a better grasp of grammar and punctuation. Having to read and make out some of the posts from members here and then writing my own posts gave me a lot of practice and helped me understand the importance of writing so people can actually understand you lol.
My teenage daughters had to give me crash course in moron shorthand.

MG0h3

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed that the younger generation is damn near illiterate? Girl I work with who is 24 or 25 and is the boss' daughter. She is really cool and we get along and joke all day but damn is she terrible with grammar and vocabulary. I guess that was a very common trait for people growing up in the early-mid 20th century but I thought we had gotten better about literacy in general. I know at this point it's on a steep decline and has been for a while in the city public schools, but it just seems more common with people you'd think were better students. It's hard not to laugh at her when I read some of her emails and when she tries to get bigger words out, but at least she knows it's not a strength of hers.

Boss’ daughter!? Ya gonna beat her guts up????

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife and I were talking about all this the other day. I told her it's crazy to think that gen x and the first 2 to 3 years of the millennials......the last of the true feral children created this problem. The parents of the younger kids somehow went soft. Started over coddling and over protecting their children which made them super soft. We also created a lot of the technology they now rely on. When I was a kid I knew people were allergic grass or cats. Now I know people with 19 different allergens. We didn't have ANY of the excuses that kids use today. Gotta see the irony in it I mean.... we're all here having this discussion on a phone, computer, or tablet. F' it let's go old school.....who's got 3 way callin.....let's physically talk about it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
IMG_4637.jpeg
Couple pages back.. saw work ethic and yall know my struggles of hiring

So I hired someone.. sent him his schedule..

The “ naw “ almost set me off

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I can't do it anymore. My life since 21 has been all printing due to my jobs.
I taught my kids but they are rarely using since there is no reason to on paper much anymore more and teachers don't want to decipher everyones cursive.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed that the younger generation is damn near illiterate? Girl I work with who is 24 or 25 and is the boss' daughter. She is really cool and we get along and joke all day but damn is she terrible with grammar and vocabulary. I guess that was a very common trait for people growing up in the early-mid 20th century but I thought we had gotten better about literacy in general. I know at this point it's on a steep decline and has been for a while in the city public schools, but it just seems more common with people you'd think were better students. It's hard not to laugh at her when I read some of her emails and when she tries to get bigger words out, but at least she knows it's not a strength of hers.
But what's she look like?

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife and I were talking about all this the other day. I told her it's crazy to think that gen x and the first 2 to 3 years of the millennials......the last of the true feral children created this problem. The parents of the younger kids somehow went soft. Started over coddling and over protecting their children which made them super soft. We also created a lot of the technology they now rely on. When I was a kid I knew people were allergic grass or cats. Now I know people with 19 different allergens. We didn't have ANY of the excuses that kids use today. Gotta see the irony in it I mean.... we're all here having this discussion on a phone, computer, or tablet. F' it let's go old school.....who's got 3 way callin.....let's physically talk about it. Lol

I don’t have a landline haven’t for probably 15+ years maybe 20 years. My father said family members will not be able to contact us. However, we all had cell phones.
One of my daughters would tie up the landline and be on her cell phone (flip phone) talking to friends.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Lol that was my old mans approach… oh you think its bad now, it can get worse…

Yep, I grew up with tough love. Think I'm a better person for it too.

The funniest story I ever heard came from a co-worker of mine years ago. She told me about an interaction between her husband and older teenage son (16 or 17 I think).

Father: Okay son, you know you messed up, time for your spanking.
Son: No dad. You're not spanking me anymore. I'm a man now.
Father: So, you're a man huh? So, I guess I'm going to have to beat your ass for what you did. You know man to man.
Son: Uh... no dad I'm not going to fight you.
Father: So, your not going to fight? So, your not man enough to fight me?
Son: No dad.
Father: Alright, since your not a man, I guess it's time for you to take this spanking then.

ROFLMAO!!!!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yep, I grew up with tough love. Think I'm a better person for it too.

The funniest story I ever heard came from a co-worker of mine years ago. She told me about an interaction between her husband and older teenage son (16 or 17 I think).

Father: Okay son, you know you messed up, time for your spanking.
Son: No dad. You're not spanking me anymore. I'm a man now.
Father: So, you're a man huh? So, I guess I'm going to have to beat your ass for what you did. You know man to man.
Son: Uh... no dad I'm not going to fight you.
Father: So, your not going to fight? So, your not man enough to fight me?
Son: No dad.
Father: Alright, since your not a man, I guess it's time for you to take this spanking then.

ROFLMAO!!!!
I thought I would fight the old man once when I was around 14-15… I woke up on the kitchen floor, mom was smacking me to wake me up after pops delivered the one-hitter quitter. I never did that again, my being a little teenage twat phase didn't last long. I didn’t give my parents too much trouble to be honest. Though I got in plenty of it in school, we still got swats there too. Kids need an ass beating every now and again.

Last edited:

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
I thought I would fight the old man once when I was around 14-15… I woke up on the kitchen floor, mom was smacking me to wake me up after pops delivered the one-hitter quitter. I never did that again. Kids need an ass beating every now and again.
Super thin line between fear and respect. But it must be walked and taught

Users who are viewing this thread