Boomers to Xoomers, things you don't see anymore?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
IMG_0149.jpeg

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
A poorly thought out traffic circle is nightmare, especially here where drivers aren’t used to them.
Yeah the poor po-dunk bumpkins in my town are fixing to get 2. One on each end of a new replacement bridge. I wanna pop out a lawn chair and video the carnage when they open it up. They are going to go numb from the neck up

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
How old is your son? Easier said than done but set an example for him.

In some regards my situation is quite different than yours but there are similarities - I'm 40 with a 5 year old and 5 week old son. I've never let myself go in my adult life but especially since I put #2 in the oven I'm making a conscious effort to maintain a proper weight and stay in shape to have enough energy to participate in active things with my boys.

Last fall I ran a 5k and my son was upset he didn't get to participate in the kid's run that day. We figured 1 mile was too much for a 4 year old.

Next month I am running a 5k and the same day he is running a 1k. We have been going out for runs around the block together the last month. We both enjoy the time together and he seems to genuinely enjoying running. We appreciate he gets his energy out in constructive fashion instead of making a big mess at home.

Maybe fitness of some sort whether it be running, biking, pickleball, basketball, BJJ, etc could be something you two could take on together.

I wouldn’t say I’ve let myself go, just sporting 20-25 pounds.

I agree, he should be more active but likes to make excuses and gets plenty of rope from my wife. (different thread)

What pissed me off yesterday was after coming home from swimming and playing all day, he gets himself this giant ****ing bowl of ice cream. I said, “dude, that’s a lot. What did you and the doctor talk about.”

He snaps back with a shitty attitude, “well if you didn’t give us frozen pizza every other day.”

At least I know how the conversation between my wife, son, and doctor went last week…

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

I agree, he should be more active but likes to make excuses and gets plenty of rope from my wife. (different thread)

What pissed me off yesterday was after coming home from swimming and playing all day, he gets himself this giant ****ing bowl of ice cream. I said, “dude, that’s a lot. What did you and the doctor talk about.”

He snaps back with a shitty attitude, “well if you didn’t give us frozen pizza every other day.”

At least I know how the conversation between my wife, son, and doctor went last week…

Just going by what you quoted him as saying and knowing what my mom would say if I talked like that, she would shut me up quick. She didn't tolerate any talking back or attitude from any of us which as a teen is pretty much constant. If I tried to argue it out she'd start talking about taking my car, tv, video games, privileges, etc. I'm not a parent but I'd say don't put up with the attitude and put your foot down. He may hate it at the time but will grow up and learn to appreciate you forcing him to shape up.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Just going by what you quoted him as saying and knowing what my mom would say if I talked like that, she would shut me up quick. She didn't tolerate any talking back or attitude from any of us which as a teen is pretty much constant. If I tried to argue it out she'd start talking about taking my car, tv, video games, privileges, etc. I'm not a parent but I'd say don't put up with the attitude and put your foot down. He may hate it at the time but will grow up and learn to appreciate you forcing him to shape up.
Yep...can do it the easy way or the hard way. Either way I'm going to get the result I want. Beatings will continue until moral improves

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

4.698gt

Established Member
So I'm 37, Ive noticed that the generation after me is either hyper focused on one thing or tries to focus on 10 things and fails to complete any.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm 37, Ive noticed that the generation after me is either hyper focused on one thing or tries to focus on 10 things and fails to complete any.
I’m 39, with a wife working and finishing a doctorate, three kids in school and multiple sports, an old ass dog, 764 cats…those are the only two options to accomplish anything around my house…

4.698gt

Established Member
I’m 39, with a wife working and finishing a doctorate, three kids in school and multiple sports, an old ass dog, 764 cats…those are the only two options to accomplish anything around my house…
Everyone home life is chaotic in some way. That will never change, I was talking about in the work place specifically and should have noted that.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Sounds like some bad habits forsure.

You never did mention how old he is.

We've discussed putting a lock/latch on the pantry as our 5 year old has been known to drag a chair in there and climb on the shelves to reach what he wants. We've since been able to tamp that down with providing a snack after school as we know he's hungry at that time. While there is likely no concerns about him being overweight as a child due to his nonstop movement, dessert doesn't ever happen before meals and only sporadically if we feel he deserves a popsicle or scoop of ice cream.

Maybe start with something fun like a mud run. May seem like a kid's thing to do but I've seen plenty of guys in their 40s do them.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

We've discussed putting a lock/latch on the pantry as our 5 year old has been known to drag a chair in there and climb on the shelves to reach what he wants. We've since been able to tamp that down with providing a snack after school as we know he's hungry at that time. While there is likely no concerns about him being overweight as a child due to his nonstop movement, dessert doesn't ever happen before meals and only sporadically if we feel he deserves a popsicle or scoop of ice cream.

Maybe start with something fun like a mud run. May seem like a kid's thing to do but I've seen plenty of guys in their 40s do them.
Sheesh this makes me feel better about the thousands I spend each year on my son for soccer. It aggravates me when I see him spend half a day or so playing video game but then I have to remind myself he ran 8 miles the day before…

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member

He’s 12. Football, basketball, baseball, just gets away with too much.

The unlimited access to snacks and the constant supply of ****ing candy is huge. I’ve argued with my wife over it for years. I didn’t grow up with freedom to snacks and sugar, I know she didn’t either. I stayed active and had good genetics too, but if I had struggled with weight I know my parents would’ve done something.

I hate to harp on my wife because she is not the only one at fault, but she does the same shit. Handfuls of chocolate at night, “too busy” to exercise, and then steps on the scale EVERY morning… I mean, what are you expecting? Honestly.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sheesh this makes me feel better about the thousands I spend each year on my son for soccer. It aggravates me when I see him spend half a day or so playing video game but then I have to remind myself he ran 8 miles the day before…
Somewhat along those lines... There's a kid on the other side of the block who was doing laps on a moped all weekend. My chick said something like "how many times is he going to go down the same roads?" I replied, "At least he's not sitting inside playing video games or staring at a tablet/phone."

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Like my son who is 15. He fell in love with studying business and finance in DECA at highschool. Programs VR models for WWI games, competitive swimmers now replaced by weight lifting, he wanted to learn advanced math a couple summers ago and I got him up to trigonometry and choked out. Dude teaches himself calculus. Can't ride a bike and gawd knows I tried. It was a shock to learn his girlfriend is 17, to her parents and us. I am worried he is going to go insane pressuring himself. Hates drugs and booze but loves weightlifting diet. Hates bullies to the point of getting in trouble at school. He can't stand seeing someone getting picked on likely due to older brother being autistic. I used to worry about the world he was going into but I am now worried for those who get in his way.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Has anyone else noticed that the younger generation is damn near illiterate? Girl I work with who is 24 or 25 and is the boss' daughter. She is really cool and we get along and joke all day but damn is she terrible with grammar and vocabulary. I guess that was a very common trait for people growing up in the early-mid 20th century but I thought we had gotten better about literacy in general. I know at this point it's on a steep decline and has been for a while in the city public schools, but it just seems more common with people you'd think were better students. It's hard not to laugh at her when I read some of her emails and when she tries to get bigger words out, but at least she knows it's not a strength of hers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread