best tuner for 2012 5.0

DIB5.0

Established Member
I also hear Brent Hughes of DTP Racing is a great tuner. Tunes Sean Kelly's auto car. Great auto tuner..

twistedneck

Established Member
Bama tune no question - Ryan did my tuning. We did at least 6 unique data logs and make sure there is zero knock registering with the sensors on the final tune, he also gave me an emergency 91 tune in case i'm not in a 93 state. Even the factory cars hit 3.0 on the knock sensors! thats 3 degrees of pulled timing. I have a conservative 93 octane tune and it stays nice and flat at 0.85 lambda and then gets a touch rich at real high rpm to lower the cat temp and not turn on a cel.

They walked me through every parameter i asked about and we just used the sct to log simple 4th gear pulls on the highway (3rd works in a lower geared car, i have a 3.73). I also had two other tunes and both resulted in a bunch of knock sensing and pulled timing at high rpm 5000+ as a result.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
9 second cars can't be dailys? Wow i know at least 7 people in my area that would tend to disagree. A couple being evos, camaros, mustangs, and hell even an s2k. Each put at least 10k miles per year. The s2k did like 750 on stock block and ran high 9's at least 5 times last summer. I'm not saying anything bad about Shaun as i believe he pretty much has the Stock intake / bolt on tunes nailed down for the people on this forum and everyone is happy. I'm just saying don't knock a high horsepower car and say it isn't as driveable as your car. I have ridden in a gt500 that ran 9's and unless he was on it you wouldn't even know it could run 9's. My car drives around town completely fine until you mash on it. It's pretty quiet now and if there wasn't a whistle at idle you would never guess it was superchargerd unless i mashed the gas pedal. A lot of people seem to be getting forced induction for there 2011+ Mustangs these days on this and other forums. Some people are happy with a 430hp mustang that runs 11's. Some people want more.

I am not going to argue with you over this point, because it is a pointless argument. Can you drive a 9 second car on the street these days? Yes. The question is would the average car guy drive a 9 second car on the street, or would he consider a 9 second car a street car? The answer to those questions is no. Just because you can doesn't mean it is practical. The whole point of this discussion was about tuners. I don't think the OP is looking to tune a 900 RWHP forced induction car, I think he is looking for the basic everyday tune that goes to the track once in a while. That is why I recommended Shaun. If he had asked "Which tuner has the most records?," or "Which tuner has the fastest car in the country?," then we could recommend Lund.

Moving on....

Bama tune no question - Ryan did my tuning. We did at least 6 unique data logs and make sure there is zero knock registering with the sensors on the final tune, he also gave me an emergency 91 tune in case i'm not in a 93 state. Even the factory cars hit 3.0 on the knock sensors! thats 3 degrees of pulled timing. I have a conservative 93 octane tune and it stays nice and flat at 0.85 lambda and then gets a touch rich at real high rpm to lower the cat temp and not turn on a cel.

They walked me through every parameter i asked about and we just used the sct to log simple 4th gear pulls on the highway (3rd works in a lower geared car, i have a 3.73). I also had two other tunes and both resulted in a bunch of knock sensing and pulled timing at high rpm 5000+ as a result.

I have probably sent Shaun 60 logs of my car since we started tuning it. BAMA has a warranty for a reason.

Mike

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
The AED love is kinda bordering on sloppy love lol I'm going to get his tune as I'm just curious now to see how it performs against my Steeda tune. But then again, no track and funky dyno (which I'll do) so the only other measurement I've got is SOTP which can be misleading. I like the data logging and being there is no credible dynotuner close by, unless someone knows someone in San Antonio or Houston, I'll stick with the recommendation of AED. I will say Shaun at AED has been a real stand up guy on the phone and via email, professional and courteous.

PSIMotorsports south of Houston.

SicShelby09

Banned
I am not going to argue with you over this point, because it is a pointless argument. Can you drive a 9 second car on the street these days? Yes. The question is would the average car guy drive a 9 second car on the street, or would he consider a 9 second car a street car? The answer to those questions is no. Just because you can doesn't mean it is practical. The whole point of this discussion was about tuners. I don't think the OP is looking to tune a 900 RWHP forced induction car, I think he is looking for the basic everyday tune that goes to the track once in a while. That is why I recommended Shaun. If he had asked "Which tuner has the most records?," or "Which tuner has the fastest car in the country?," then we could recommend Lund.

Moving on....

I have probably sent Shaun 60 logs of my car since we started tuning it. BAMA has a warranty for a reason.

Mike

Kabooma

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
9 second cars can't be dailys? Wow i know at least 7 people in my area that would tend to disagree. A couple being evos, camaros, mustangs, and hell even an s2k. Each put at least 10k miles per year. The s2k did like 750 on stock block and ran high 9's at least 5 times last summer. I'm not saying anything bad about Shaun as i believe he pretty much has the Stock intake / bolt on tunes nailed down for the people on this forum and everyone is happy. I'm just saying don't knock a high horsepower car and say it isn't as driveable as your car. I have ridden in a gt500 that ran 9's and unless he was on it you wouldn't even know it could run 9's. My car drives around town completely fine until you mash on it. It's pretty quiet now and if there wasn't a whistle at idle you would never guess it was superchargerd unless i mashed the gas pedal. A lot of people seem to be getting forced induction for there 2011+ Mustangs these days on this and other forums. Some people are happy with a 430hp mustang that runs 11's. Some people want more.

hate to burst your bubble but 10k miles isnt a daily driver. Im sure those people also have other cars they drive much more than their 9 second cars. It would be stupid to only have a built 9 second car, from the above mentioned list, and that be your only car.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
To the OP

You will get pros and cons about any tuner depending on who is posting in the thread. There will always be posses hanging out ready to steer you in the direction of their fav.

The best advice I can give you is to use those opinions as fact finding to determine several tuners to call and talk to one on one. Then make your choice based on your conversations with those tuners.

Only you can determine which of the many excellent well known tuners will be the right "fit" for your goals with your vehicle.

Many have had these vehicles for years and have perfected their tuning a along time ago.

Rick has many many years of tuning expereince and knowledge. We have had our 2011 GT auto since Aug 2010. He developed his auto tunes with our car on the dyno and street. I DD our car.

The road behind our shop used to be the local hang out back in the day for drag racing. A lot of our customers have had a ride down that road after their dyno tune is done. LOL

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Many have had these vehicles for years and have perfected their tuning a along time ago.

And some continue to look for new and innovative ways to tune these cars and find power where others have not, in lieu of resting on their laurels and considering it a done deal....

Innovation over stagnation.

Mike

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
And some continue to look for new and innovative ways to tune these cars and find power where others have not, in lieu of resting on their laurels and considering it a done deal....

Mike

I couldnt have said it better.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member

Mike

Expereince and knowledge is always the pathway to innovation. Not sure why you think that tuners who have worked with these vehicles for a long while are stagnant. Or that they haven't evolved past the levels they reached months ago with this platform. The only way for a tuner to stay viable is to evolve. I'm just saying that some have been with this platform since the beggining and some havent.

There are many flavors of Koolaid and not everyone likes the same flavors. How many flavors have you tried? Because if you haven't tried them all then how can you make a conclusive assessment?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Expereince and knowledge is always the pathway to innovation. Not sure why you think that tuners who have worked with these vehicles for a long while are stagnant. Or that they haven't evolved past the levels they reached months ago with this platform. The only way for a tuner to stay viable is to evolve. I'm just saying that some have been with this platform since the beggining and some havent.

There are many flavors of Koolaid and not everyone likes the same flavors. How many flavors have you tried? Because if you haven't tried them all then how can you make a conclusive assessment?

i can only speak for myself, and this is my humble opinion...but i have tried allot of the "koolaids" out there and i can you you that AED is the best. Not only because his tunes :rockon:, but his customer service is the best i have dealt with. He treats as i would treat a fellow enthusiast. On the same note i did have the pleasure of speaking with rick too and he is also superb to deal with...but my home and foundation is AED...barnone:beer:

grabber blue gt

Established Member

:banana::pepper::banana::pepper::banana::pepper::banana:

I did find that statement funny and true in a way, but not all people want to make there cars their own personal tuning guinea pig. If you try different tunes "just to see if you like it" cant always be the best thing.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

I have had two flavors, FRPP and AED. I don't need to try anyone else's tune to know that I have a tune that works for me. All I need to do is drive my car, like I do every day....or look at other people's time slips.

I am not saying an Amazon tune would be less than satisfactory in any way. However, my experience with AED has demonstrated that Shaun's approach is innovative, and it yields results. When you speak of how you have had these cars "figured out" for years now, you give the impression that your tunes are behind the curve. I say this because the leading tuners are constantly making discoveries with these cars, discoveries that were not made "years ago." Again, you may be making these discoveries as well. If so, the manner in which you promote your company does not convey that fact.

Mike

Last edited:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I have had two flavors, FRPP and AED. I don't need to try anyone else's tune to know that I have a tune that works for me. All I need to do is drive my car, like I do every day....or look at other people's time slips.

I am not saying an Amazon tune would be less than satisfactory in any. However, my experience with AED has demonstrated that Shaun's approach is innovative, and it yields results. When you speak of how you have had these cars "figured out" for years now, you give the impression that your tunes are behind the curve. I say this because the leading tuners are constantly making discoveries with these cars, discoveries that were not made "years ago." Again, you may be making these discoveries as well. If so, the manner in which you promote your company does not convey that fact.

Mike

I am profoundly happy for you that you have found a tuner you respect and like working with. I am not going to criticise your choice. It is yours to make. But you also have to share this forum with representatives of many of those other top tuners who are not going to share your views.

We have years of expereince with this platform not months.There is no substitution for expereince and knowledge.The longer you work with something the more knowledge and expereince you will gain. That is what puts you ahead of the curve and brings innovation.

Thank You for pointing out that our years of expereince and knowledge make us look behind the curve an not innovative.

SicShelby09

Banned

I am not saying an Amazon tune would be less than satisfactory in any. However, my experience with AED has demonstrated that Shaun's approach is innovative, and it yields results. When you speak of how you have had these cars "figured out" for years now, you give the impression that your tunes are behind the curve. I say this because the leading tuners are constantly making discoveries with these cars, discoveries that were not made "years ago." Again, you may be making these discoveries as well. If so, the manner in which you promote your company does not convey that fact.

Mike

+20. Great post Mike, couldn't have said it better myself. More abrasive, but definitely not better...lol.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
We have years of expereince with this platform not months.There is no substitution for expereince and knowledge.The longer you work with something the more knowledge and expereince you will gain. That is what puts you ahead of the curve and brings innovation.

Thank You for pointing out that our years of expereince and knowledge make us look behind the curve an not innovative.

Now, Linn, you are putting words in my mouth and twisting what I said. All I sad was the way you represented your company gave the impression that you were relying on tunes that you had figured out, "years ago." I never said you were behind the curve, only that in an effort to present your company as the most qualified, you gave that impression to me.

As far as the experience argument goes, experience does not always equate with ability. Innovation is often the result of a fresh approach to a problem. Let's not forget that men bashed each other on the heads with stone tools for millenia before an innovator learned to smelt bronze. It only takes one.

Mike

Seer

Banned
I am curious what is so innovative about AED's process? They send you a base file, and ask for data logs.

He is not circumventing the limitations of SCT like other tuners have.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I am curious what is so innovative about AED's process? They send you a base file, and ask for data logs.

He is not circumventing the limitations of SCT like other tuners have.

Cause no one else can get the loppy idle tune down perfect an only gets better with every update shaun does. Also mike has been doing a much better job explaining things

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread