best tuner for 2012 5.0

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
Well let's be real there are always things that can get better so I guess I used the wrong word saying perfect. Let's just say shaun will.do everything he can to make the tune as close as perfect can be. Ghost cam tunes are only by john lund which are tuned different than shauns loppy idle tune. As for your car you have to tell your tuner what you want before you even buy your tune an ask him if he/she can even do what you want them todo.

Ghost cam, Lopey idle, Stealth cam. You can call it whatever you like they all give the same effect. Big cam sounds. There are more than just lund and aed that offer cam tunes. I know Torq does and i believe that there was at least 1 more company that did/does.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Devil's advocate in me asks the following questions:

How well is your car performing?
What do you have to compare your tune to in your personal experience?

My car has gone 11.90 @ 116.5 with Shaun's tune and the typical bolt ons (O/R X pipe, JLT intake, LCAs and brackets). I did that with 3.31 gears, little 26 inch slicks and in a DA of +1850 in the South Louisiana swamp heat. Corrected, that is 11.64 @ 119.

By way of comparison, I had an FRPP Pro-Cal tune before, and ran 12.8 @ 112 in mineshaft air. Street tires though. I also recently drove another Pro-Cal car back to back with mine. Both the owner and myself agreed that there was no comparison.

I also have owned a litany of performance cars in the 26 years I have been behind the wheel. I have a dedicated "drag car" that is currently slower than my DD Mustang. LOL.

Mike

Seer

Banned
My car has gone 11.90 @ 116.5 with Shaun's tune and the typical bolt ons (O/R X pipe, JLT intake, LCAs and brackets). I did that with 3.31 gears, little 26 inch slicks and in a DA of +1850 in the South Louisiana swamp heat. Corrected, that is 11.64 @ 119.

By way of comparison, I had an FRPP Pro-Cal tune before, and ran 12.8 @ 112 in mineshaft air. Street tires though. I also recently drove another Pro-Cal car back to back with mine. Both the owner and myself agreed that there was no comparison.

I also have owned a litany of performance cars in the 26 years I have been behind the wheel. I have a dedicated "drag car" that is currently slower than my DD Mustang. LOL.

Mike
Cool, I went faster with the same mods in my old 5.0 :D

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member

Mike

I'll have to buy you a beer next time we come down to visit my brother who lives in Baton Rouge :beer:

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
InBeforeTheLock.gif

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ghost cam, Lopey idle, Stealth cam. You can call it whatever you like they all give the same effect. Big cam sounds. There are more than just lund and aed that offer cam tunes. I know Torq does and i believe that there was at least 1 more company that did/does.

I can't say i know anything about torq. But I do know lund sells a lot of his tunes to other companys that then rename the tune which is actually a lund tune. Also the over all effect is similar but not the same. Also how each tuner goes about it is different. That's what I would say sets each tuner apart an why I think shaun at aed is the best at what he does. Now if you already have a tune with a current tuner an are 100% happy with them I see no reason to change. Since then it would just cost more money. Imo for those looking for a tune or are currentley unhappy with there tuner now I would 100% recommend shaun at AED.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
This should jog your memory.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ng-opinions-give-me-yours-2.html#post11501758

Did that OP ever get his free tune?

I actually PMed that guy the other day because i wondered the same thing. No reply lol.

I can compare my AED tune to a JMS tune. The JMS tune was strong. Very good tune. made what felt like decent power. I swap over to the AED tune and the car was noticeably faster through the entire powerband. right off the hit all the way to the top of the power. the tune felt considerably stronger. Shaun is an outstanding guy to work with. He takes the time to answer questions (even my dumb ones). I do not have dyno sheets of the two tunes but to me the dyno is just a tuning tool. I ran a GT500 at the track and was on his back bumper the whole run. obviously his car makes more power and if either of us had something other than street tires it wouldve swung harder either way. needless to say my car runs hard. I just need some damn tires.

Seer

Banned
Ok. What did you run, and what were your mods and gears? Gears being one element I really want to know about.

Always up for a drink.

Mike

Same exact mods as you, except it was on 28" Tall drag radials with 3.73, so it makes the gearing about equal to your 3.31's on 26" slicks, so gearing is an element that is taken out of the equation then as well..

I went 11.6 @ 118 in 2100 DA, Where I live it is known for extremely high humidity as well. Corrected it was an 11.31 run. 60' was a 1.5X

Last edited:

jdcobra

Established Member
I talked to Shaun the other day and he responded back to me in a pretty short time and he ran it down for me. He was courteous and patient with the questions I had for him, which IMO is good customer service and how it should be done. After doing some searching around and seeing the positive feedback from everyone else who has gotten a tune from him, I have decided to go with him and will be ordering a mail tune within the next couple weeks.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Same exact mods as you, except it was on 28" Tall drag radials with 3.73, so it makes the gearing about equal to your 3.31's on 26" slicks, so gearing is an element that is taken out of the equation then as well..

I went 11.6 @ 118 in 2100 DA, Where I live it is known for extremely high humidity as well. Corrected it was an 11.31 run. 60' was a 1.5X

3.73s and 28s is the magic formula. That big tire can take a much harder hit and hook better than the 26 inch tire, especially my super soft M&Hs thinly spread on an 8 inch wheel. A 26 inch tire and 3.31 gears comes in at around 3.45 gears, what a 3.55 with a 28 comes in at. You still have a better gearing combo. What were your 60 foots? The DR may negate some of the advantage though. However, if it hooks, the DR is superior due to less rolling resistance.

I live in South Louisiana...we invented humidity. LOL.

So, who tuned your car? Shaun has gone 11.2 on pump at 119 in his personal car with basically the same mods (stock airbox), and 11 flat at 123 with E85.

I will be out this Sunday looking for something closer to mid 12's, on a new tire.

Mike

Last edited:

Seer

Banned
3.73s and 28s is the magic formula. That big tire can take a much harder hit and hook better than the 26 inch tire, especially my super soft M&Hs thinly spread on an 8 inch wheel. A 26 inch tire and 3.31 gears comes in at around 3.45 gears, what a 3.55 with a 28 comes in at. You still have a better gearing combo. What were your 60 foots? The DR may negate some of the advantage though. However, if it hooks, the DR is superior due to less rolling resistance.

I live in South Louisiana...we invented humidity. LOL.

So, who tuned your car? Shaun has gone 11.2 on pump at 119 in his personal car with basically the same mods (stock airbox), and 11 flat at 123 with E85.

I will be out this Sunday looking for something closer to mid 12's, on a new tire.

Mike

I cut a 1.5X on that run. It was tuned by Lund.

Assuming stock tire size is 27", 3.73 and 28's is a 3.59 gear ratio. Not a huge advantage, not enough to be faster by .3 corrected.

As far as the stock air box is concerned, yep totally believable. I don't feel CAIs really do much for the 5.0 unless you're running aftermarket cams, or really pushing big air.

I think Ford did a good job with the stock air box, and I really feel CAIs at the track are more of a hot air pump.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I cut a 1.5X on that run. It was tuned by Lund.

Assuming stock tire size is 27", 3.73 and 28's is a 3.59 gear ratio. Not a huge advantage, not enough to be faster by .3 corrected.

As far as the stock air box is concerned, yep totally believable. I don't feel CAIs really do much for the 5.0 unless you're running aftermarket cams, or really pushing big air.

I think Ford did a good job with the stock air box, and I really feel CAIs at the track are more of a hot air pump.

It is all in the 60 foot, Seer. You went 1.5 and I went 1.7. If I had the 1.5 you can shave .4 from my time, making it an 11.5. Shaun cuts 1.5s and his times are in the bottom basement of the 11's. So, if this comes down to Lund vs. AED I am ponying up Shaun's car as the representative example of the 11 second AED machine. He has had both 3.73s and a 3.55s with the 28. Eventually I am going to have to surrender and up the gear. I am just being lazy and I am also interested in seeing just what I can do with these 3.31s. I really want that 11.5 slip on 3.31 gears. Maybe this Sunday.

Anyway, good times, man. I am impressed with those all around. Good showing for Lund as well.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread