Another navy ship collision, is the navy out of control?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
There is some talk that the Chinese have figured out how to hack our control systems and these are tests. SOme of the command of this ship claimed a loss of steering control prior to the collision, which is eye-roll worthy until you consider maybe we're getting hacked.

I was wondering if something like this could be going on too? Seems silly that we have 2 major collisions like this in 3 months after going years with nothing.

raustin0017

Established Member
Is there not See and Avoid tactics in place? I understand how congested the space can be but come on.

RIP for the Shipmates who were lost.

Dusten

Established Member
Is there not See and Avoid tactics in place? I understand how congested the space can be but come on.

RIP for the Shipmates who were lost.
There are always measures in place to avoid collisions. But we don't know the full circumstances. We don't know what vessel she had on her right, or in front of them that prevented maneuvering

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm anxiously awaiting the investigation into the possibility of hacking. That, if proven true, should alarm our armed services more than just a little. The consequences of China or another country gaining control of our ships and planes (and more) to any degree would be very alarming. We need to further develop/strengthen our electronics defenses. China surely invests heavily in their ability to hack our systems, both home and abroad. Russia as well.

Jefe

Established Member
Some remains of the 10 missing found in sealed compartments. Royal Malaysian Navy found 1 body as well but no confirmation he was from the ship yet. This is so infuriating and sad. RIP to those men and women. I cant imagine what the families of those sailors are going through.

CNO has ordered an operational pause across the entire Navy warship fleet to ensure safety and effective operations. Training and assessments mandatory.

He also said, "2 clarify Re: possibility of cyber intrusion or sabotage, no indications right now...but review will consider all possibilities"

https://twitter.com/CNORichardson/status/899723986908655620

Can we be a little more professional with our tweets?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Are there not video cameras filming every angle of the ship? I don't see why there wouldn't be on a navy ship.

Dusten

Established Member
Im sure it was and we may never see it
You won't. Even if you could the camera is there to catch what happens on ship. The keys in both collisions are the bell log, which records all engineering and steering commands, the gyro logs which log the heading course speed and gps location, and the recording of net 15, the ships internal command net. That'll put together a picture of what the ship knew, when they knew it, and how they reacted.

Famine

Established Member
What the Navy does have is a manning and accession issue. Higher OP tempos , lower qualified enlistment numbers. The Navy's answer over the last 16 years; lower standards. Had to deal with this first hand on a daily basis.
This statement is completely true.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

raustin0017

Established Member
I'm an Air Force guy but called it right. Next incident the Pacific Fleet Commander will go and maybe the Sec of the Navy.
When you lose people and bend metal...folks get fired up top to shake it up a bit.
My guess the Commander of the 7th Fleet will soon be looking for a new job in the civilian community. Last incident the CO of the ship lost his job...this one is going to go higher maybe up to the Sec of the Navy?

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Hormuz is only bad because the Iranians are ****s

That's what made it fun. We had numerous Iranian Navy boats play chicken with us and even launch a "test" missile while I was on the Truman. Gathering footage for their propaganda videos.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'm anxiously awaiting the investigation into the possibility of hacking. That, if proven true, should alarm our armed services more than just a little. The consequences of China or another country gaining control of our ships and planes (and more) to any degree would be very alarming. We need to further develop/strengthen our electronics defenses. China surely invests heavily in their ability to hack our systems, both home and abroad. Russia as well.

If found out to be true, I would be very surprised they are so brazen like that. I know the barriers are being tested all the time but this is going up a notch.

Dusten

Established Member
I'm curious how they're hacking a closed loop system? Spies on board? It's especially interesting considering the system can go full manual

Users who are viewing this thread