Another navy ship collision, is the navy out of control?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Not the first maritime disaster for a McCain (Forestall).
The navy helmsmen just need to quit leaving port like it was cars and coffee.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Simple don't allow ship leave and so put a stop to the helmsman getting drunk.

I kid but this doesn't surprise me as Singapor I think is the 2nd most busiest port in the world a lot of traffic flows in and out of the straights of Malacca.

Dusten

Established Member
The collision with the fitz was the ships fault. Period. The firings and discipline has happened, and the post collision report is out.

This collision, based on the flooding damage, was in the aft part of the ship. It occurred in one of the busiest traffic schemes in the world. I will wait until I see more info to pass judgement. As sailor who has stood the conn on the bridge, and stood in combat as a watch officer and surface warfare coordinator, the straits of Malacca are no ****ing joke.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I'm starting to question the competence of our Navy.... 2 of these in as many months is insane. These are billion dollar ships, with some of the most advance electronics and radar on the planet, yet they can't avoid being hit? Is Stevie Wonder piloting these ships?

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
The collision with the fitz was the ships fault. Period. The firings and discipline has happened, and the post collision report is out.

This collision, based on the flooding damage, was in the aft part of the ship. It occurred in one of the busiest traffic schemes in the world. I will wait until I see more info to pass judgement. As sailor who has stood the conn on the bridge, and stood in combat as a watch officer and surface warfare coordinator, the straits of Malacca are no ****ing joke.
Couldn't be any worse than the woods hole passage.

I keed.

Dusten

Established Member
0977973f117a8f2b5e7c96528c69fa56--strait-of-malacca-airplane-window.jpg

nxhappy

Established Member
with today's technology, it's a ****ing joke. Those ships basically steer themselves. I don't care how "busy" it may be, don't run a ship if you can't do the ****ing job.

Dusten

Established Member
with today's technology, it's a ****ing joke. Those ships basically steer themselves. I don't care how "busy" it may be, don't run a ship if you can't do the ****ing job.
Steer themselves? Have your actually stood watch on a ddg in the straits? I have. Nothing in the straits is automated.

The ship was hit in the aft port quarter. By the rules of the road, they had right of way as the vessel on the starboard side. I'd wait until more info comes out before you pass judgement.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Once is a incident, twice is a trend...I wouldn't be surprised to see some higher up PF heads roll after this one.

Machdup1

Established Member
The US Navy does not have control issue. Shit happens. Fault will be assessed, discipline will occur and the process will be improved.

Prayers to the families of the missing, may they find peace.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
The US Navy does not have control issue. Shit happens. Fault will be assessed, discipline will occur and the process will be improved.

Prayers to the families of the missing, may they find peace.

What the Navy does have is a manning and accession issue. Higher OP tempos , lower qualified enlistment numbers. The Navy's answer over the last 16 years; lower standards. Had to deal with this first hand on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread