Adventures in E85 - Black goo, brushes, no answers, and other risky endeavors

thgt500

Established Member
Didn't get car done yesterday. Bout par for the course! Will be Monday now.:whine: Lot more work than expected.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
it seems to me, you had something else fail in the system...and its highly plausible it isnt related to the e85

the filter twisting seems to say to me the fuel pumps were pushing hard like they were supposed to but something past the fuel filter was causing an issue.

thgt500

Established Member
it seems to me, you had something else fail in the system...and its highly plausible it isnt related to the e85

the filter twisting seems to say to me the fuel pumps were pushing hard like they were supposed to but something past the fuel filter was causing an issue.
That's an interesting thought. Regulator? Time will tell since going back with even bigger higher flowing pumps....well see what happens to a brand new filter.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
That's an interesting thought. Regulator? Time will tell since going back with even bigger higher flowing pumps....well see what happens to a brand new filter.

the fact its a fine powder dust would suggest to me something was wearing improperly. Could have been the fuel pumps internally...but I would say definitely due to a faulty part and not e85. Ethanol doesnt make moving parts grind themselves up slowly.

could have been some garbage in the system small enough to get past the fuel pump socks but cause the pumps to grenade as well.

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
Would love to see what yours looks like after 3 months. You started with the 465's right?

Started off w/Stryker 340's and had some black on the filter like others have posted but nothing bad. Switched to the 465's and will be changing my filter tomorrow for a dyno Tuesday am. I'll post up a picture here when I pull the filter.

rdsnk46

Established Member

Just to be 100% check the diaphram(SP?) in the regulator.

thgt500

Established Member
Under the car now. Will have some more pics and info here shortly. Just need to get new pumps in hat now.... then getting its just back together. Stay tuned.

Willizm?

Established Member
Sorry to hear about this. I run e85 and haven't had an issue although I am a completely different platform. I'd hope it wouldn't be some sort of coating that the e85 is eating off from inside the tank as you'd think the tank could hold up to corrosive fuels such as ethanol considering 93 pump gas has 10% at most pumps. Good luck to you on figuring this out.

thgt500

Established Member
Sorry to hear about this. I run e85 and haven't had an issue although I am a completely different platform. I'd hope it wouldn't be some sort of coating that the e85 is eating off from inside the tank as you'd think the tank could hold up to corrosive fuels such as ethanol considering 93 pump gas has 10% at most pumps. Good luck to you on figuring this out.

Thanks. Me too. Car is finished now. Just drove it 40+ miles home. Got on it a few times and all seems well. 465s's are in. on fresh socks and filter. Lets see how she does going forward. :banana: Uploading photos.

Last edited:

thgt500

Established Member
SWAP TO 465's

Here is the hat right after we pulled it out. Socks full of the black crap again.

244ton9.jpg

Last edited:

thgt500

Established Member
At first glance at the 405's we said.....gotcha. Appeared as if the gray pump material was disolving in the corn. That wasn't the case. Don't ask.

2zs6tz5.jpg

Last edited:

thgt500

Established Member
Here you can see the hat after we removed the 405's. The submersable lines had to be shortened to get the 465's in and provide pump/hat to bottom of tank clearance.

2nasirs.jpg

Last edited:

thgt500

Established Member
New pumps in the hat. All the triming done to fit. Just needing to be sodered up and heat shrunk.

sd0nc8.jpg

thgt500

Established Member
Business end of of the 405's

2dsmdzk.jpg

Tried to get a shot so you could see in the socks.

kagx1t.jpg

Sliced them open to get a better look.

2a7idtk.jpg

2ry4upt.jpg

thgt500

Established Member
I did not grab a pic of the filter that we swapped in last week but i can tell you it was dirty for roughly only 100 miles. So that my friends... is it... for now.

The data support no conclusions as yet, and i plan on sticking with my plan to run the car a while, swap filters, repeat..... and monitor. I will snap a pic every time I change filters and post here to keep a record. We head back to track this Wednesday to try and get that 1/4 mile pass in....one last time before i have to change setup's for the mile. Hopefully we can make the spray pass this time.

Say prayers to the torque management gods for me!

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
just because i seemed to miss it
you had 405's for less than 1k miles and they are ruined and you swapped to 465's going to see if these last

Users who are viewing this thread