Adventures in E85 - Black goo, brushes, no answers, and other risky endeavors

thgt500

Established Member
Well folks. The switch to E85 has definetly been a interesting ride. Not going to recap the switching over stuff but if you have an interest.... its here ======> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/905273-going-e85.html

This thread will be for anyone considering the swap and to outline my learnings thus far. They have been great. Also still have many unanswered questions.

Car was completed around 1/10/2013 and had been running like a champ until last Wednesday.

Heres a vid of doing some idle logging for Jon L.
[youtube_browser]3ws6QDKtFaM[/youtube_browser]

We tried taking the car out to the track to see what she could do....but we were denied. Attemped 2 passes and during the burnouts we noticed the car breaking up a bit and burping. Tried the pass anyway but shut down on 1st to 2nd shift because something was just wrong.
Here's a vid of the 1 of the burnouts...You can hear something is not right.
[youtube_browser]iXzB78-hSmQ[/youtube_browser]

Took the car to the infield and popped hood to check fuel pressure. It was about 7 points below where it should be... base. Jam nut loosened???? So we reset base pressure. Then we free reved the car... fuel pressure jumped down instead of spiking up. We took a short drive around the track and punched it...... watching the air fuels....sure enough we saw 16!!!!!!! :uh oh:....

I knew at that point we had a serious issue and we packed it up and went home. Fast forward a day or so and my mechanic Jack and I are tearing into the car while consulting Van, Jon, and Justin from Fore as to what the hell could be going on. Here is what we found:

Pickup filter socks full of the infamous blackish gray/silver crap!!!
23l1v7o.jpg

And, Fuel filter completely clogged and twisted into a restricted mess!!
2h6f6eg.jpg

At this point i am pretty much beside myself. :fm: I had seen previously, all the threads concerning the "black goo" failed pumps etc etc etc etc. And for some reason just didn't think it would happen to me. You know, if you buy the right parts, from the right vendors, get excellent installation, everythings gonna be alright syndrome...But sure enough I got bit.

So with no more over dramatization and my butt hurt feelings set aside. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?, WHAT'S IT GOING TO COST ME? AND HOW QUICKLY CAN WE GET IN DONE? I spent roughly the next 48 hours awake after the tear down, to bring you the load of crap that follows.

Noone seems to know or be willing to divulge what this crap is, there are many sources of info covering a good deal of theories but none that i am aware of..... that say...."oh, whats causing that is this, and here's what you need to do to fix it" ....soooooooooooooo....the remainder of this thread will serve as my attempt to fix mine! I will update as often as i can and have results along the way.

Here is the first update:

Step 1) I'm replacing the pumps. I got the 465's sent to me overnight to replace the 405's.....and here they are. All brand new and shiney. All $450 bucks worth. I was told in my investigating that the silver/gray sludge was most likely the brushes from the pumps...even though mine are still working to this day. Even though plenty of guys i know are running the 405's in E85 without issue. I also was told that Walbro had a bad batch of pumps around Nov/Dec 12. Sounds logical, would explain why some guys don't have issues??

6frxc8.jpg

Step 2) in the "fix my own sh$t" plan is to drop the tank and clean it out. I have read, been told, and its also seems logical.......that i have ran many many fuels prior to switching to E85. 93,URT 100, URT ADVANCED, and MS109. These fuels have stuff in them that may have accumilated in the tank. Could the E85 be cleaning that crap out of the tank? Who knows? Someone here said E85 is actually a poor solvent so there ya go. Whatever i'm doing it anyway.

Step 3) Filter replacement. I ordered and had overnighted to me a complete new Magnafuel filter, as well as some spare new steel mesh inserts. My plan here.... is to keep one on the car and one in the trunk along with my annodized wrenches. Then, should the need arrise, i can swap filters to a clean filter on the fly.

313kwlx.jpg

Step 4) Did the crap make it all the way to the engine? Going to pull the passenger side rail and check injectors screens. Just to be sure.

As of me typing this the car is running and driving great and af's look dead nuts on @ WOT. All we did to get it there was clean the filter and socks and put it back together while i was looking into this. But i am sure that the junk is accumilating again. So we'll see what happens as time goes on. We'll be back at it this Friday installing the 465's, new filter and cleaning etc. Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
That's pretty crazy man, I'll be sure to monitor my pumps and filter carefully. I was lucky enough to get one of only three Kinsler stainless steel mesh filters that bolt in the stock location.
Apparently they wont make any more.
E85 does clean out all the crap in the tank, but your filter should keep everything from the engine.
Good luck.
Keep us posted.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
You should post this in 'this distillery' section. Might get more help there. Good luck!

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Had the same happened to me.. 405 's are not e85 compatible.. Also paper fuel filter didn't seem to work wellon my set up.. Went 465s walbro with sstainless mesh filter and car runs perfect.. Btw my 405 s died on me completely after 700 miles of ethanol. Not sure why Justin keeps telling customers the 405s are fine with e85

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Very interesting. I also run E85 on dual 255L pumps with no issues an like chris run a kinsler filter .

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Definitely subscribing.

Basically same thing happen to me, only mine clogged the injectors and stuck one open which washed down a cylinder. I run triple Deutsch (sp) 301 pumps.
Car ran great for abouit 10 months before it started to miss. Hope to get it sorted out soon.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Definitely subscribing.

Basically same thing happen to me, only mine clogged the injectors and stuck one open which washed down a cylinder. I run triple Deutsch (sp) 301 pumps.
Car ran great for abouit 10 months before it started to miss. Hope to get it sorted out soon.

So what was the cause? Fuel pump failing? Stuff in the gas tank.

thgt500

Established Member
So what was the cause? Fuel pump failing? Stuff in the gas tank.

My plan is to dremel the 405's open and take a look at the insides to hopefully provide some insight to that ^^^^ question. If the brushes are indeed desovling in the corn, i would think it should be very obvious. Especially with the amount of material that was in the filter and socks. My gut is telling me that the pumps are going to look fine, and that the theory of something being in the tank is probably correct. Left over additives or whatever it is....with the amount of that grayish/silver crap i saw, the brushes would have to be the size of cigars.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
I have the 465's and about 1,500 miles so far. I'm going to check the filter in the spring when she comes out of storage, but so far I've had no problems. Subscribing also.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My plan is to dremel the 405's open and take a look at the insides to hopefully provide some insight to that ^^^^ question. If the brushes are indeed desovling in the corn, i would think it should be very obvious. Especially with the amount of material that was in the filter and socks. My gut is telling me that the pumps are going to look fine, and that the theory of something being in the tank is probably correct. Left over additives or whatever it is....with the amount of that grayish/silver crap i saw, the brushes would have to be the size of cigars.

Unknown so far. Car's in shop now getting checked out.

Thanks guys ill be keeping an eye on this thread

thgt500

Established Member

Decided to change filters today. Have a feeling i just wasted some money on the 465 pumps but worth it to not be worrying all the time. Since i got a whole new filter and ends i decided to pop that one in. Then i will monitor what the filter looks like between now and friday putting approximately 100 miles on car between now and then.

Couple of shots:

Just have to get the drivers side up a bit to work.
zuhvlt.jpg

How we did the filter and the location, i could really do this with without having to jack it up. Need to buy a set of an wrenches.
2ymhrhh.jpg

Got it down and out. Used different fittings on new filter. Little bit higher flow. Damn things were $13.50 a piece. lol

14lmst5.jpg

Here is what the filter looked like after 40 miles from the drive home from Lethal to my house. Not sure what to think. Doesn't look bad compared to what we found that night after the track.....Other than the twisted filter mesh, there is not as much crap as there was before.
28v63w8.jpg

All mounted up and leak free. Idle pressure looks great and i'm headed out for a test drive. Should be just fine.
nf0fft.jpg

Last edited:

thgt500

Established Member
Why are the filters getting so twisted up?

Every think of switching them to another brand? F-10 Inline Modular Fuel Filter

Only happened one time when the big clogging of the system happened. When we tore it down we didn't have the new filter in yet so we cleaned it. straightened as best we could, and put it back. That one i pulled today is the original filter. We'll see how the latest one does when we pull it Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread