Adventures in E85 - Black goo, brushes, no answers, and other risky endeavors

BlkVnm512

Smitty's is better
Established Member
Toby,

When I ordered all my stuff ~2 weeks ago from Lethal (Florida), I ordered the 405 pumps online with the rest of the setup and he called me back within 30 minutes and asked if I was going to be on E85. I told him I was and he said that 405's were going out prematurely and he recommended the 465's so I dont run into problems.

Hope this fixes your problem, looking forward to running when my car is done :)

-Ryan(Badger)

thgt500

Established Member
just because i seemed to miss it
you had 405's for less than 1k miles and they are ruined and you swapped to 465's going to see if these last

Not really. Had 405's on the corn. Starting running like crap. Turned out to be clogged fuel system. Replaced pumps with new units and cleaned everything out. That's where we at.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Good luck man. My friend broken cool on here has a 07shelby Whipple and just got a full return kit with the 465s. He will do corn tune on Wednesday.

thgt500

Established Member
Toby,

When I ordered all my stuff ~2 weeks ago from Lethal (Florida), I ordered the 405 pumps online with the rest of the setup and he called me back within 30 minutes and asked if I was going to be on E85. I told him I was and he said that 405's were going out prematurely and he recommended the 465's so I dont run into problems.

Hope this fixes your problem, looking forward to running when my car is done :)

-Ryan(Badger)

Yep, Jared called and offered to take the 405's back and upgrade me to 465s prior to install if I paid difference. Didn't do it and paid the price. I still think there is/was nothing wrong with them. I think its additives from all the different fuels I've ran or maybe a tank or a lining. Who knows. I'm grabbing at straws here. Wish I knew a chem major I could give these socks to for analysis. LoL

T

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Have you cleaned the tank yet my guess is with all the black stuff the tank should ne dropped an cleaned as im sure there is stuff in there that the filters could not get

thgt500

Established Member
Pretty happy after track

Couldn't get anywhere near where we wanted to be on the ET's last night but we were able to run a new best MPH for the car. 145:dw: Damn thing would not hook even with the ET streets set to 12 lbs. We've have made a couple 1.5X 60's before on the shut down passes and thats what we were expecting. Didn't happen!

Car picked up 40mph from the 1/8th...... so thats very telling. Its down right scary on the big end.

Pretty happy with that for now. Have to turn my attention to the mile now so no more 1/4 passes for a bit.

34fzkn5.jpg

thgt500

Established Member
145 is some big MPH!

Yes it is. Car has so much more left in it. We were trouble shooting a closing of the TB issue on that particular pass and Jon suggested we shift at 5k due to the tach fibbing to us. He was right. My freaking tach seems to be off around 500 rpms. Weird. We had been shifting north of 6k before and the car would just shut down on us. Doesn't like hitting the rev limiter....go figure.

thgt500

Established Member
Filter change

Its 53 miles one way from mi casa to the track. So i put 100+ miles on her last night and 2 passes. Below is a shot of the filter i just pulled. Might be wishful thinking but certainly appears i'm past the "gunk" issue. I left it large for detail.

2vnkhfq.jpg

thgt500

Established Member
I'm guessing that the 145mph pass was on spray?

Nope! Blower only. Scared of the spray and right now i think i'm running more boost than i think I am. Car has a best et of 10.5 @ 140 blower only.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Its 53 miles one way from mi casa to the track. So i put 100+ miles on her last night and 2 passes. Below is a shot of the filter i just pulled. Might be wishful thinking but certainly appears i'm past the "gunk" issue. I left it large for detail.

2vnkhfq.jpg

Looking better

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Nope! Blower only. Scared of the spray and right now i think i'm running more boost than i think I am. Car has a best et of 10.5 @ 140 blower only.

So where did you pick up 5 mph? :dw:

interesting that you trapped 145 - guess the dyno is a lower reading one?

at 770whp I trapped 139 best (crap ET) only time I took it out to the track.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
40mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4????!!!!!

What are your other slips like?

You sure you didn't accidentally hit the happy sauce at the 1/8 mile mark? lol

Crusher9008

Established Member
Talked to Lethal and I bought my fuel system in Dec 12... and at that time they said the pumps where good with e85... now they say walbro won't warranty the pumps if they fail in e85... this is bullshit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thgt500

Established Member
So where did you pick up 5 mph? :dw:

interesting that you trapped 145 - guess the dyno is a lower reading one?

at 770whp I trapped 139 best (crap ET) only time I took it out to the track.

Picked up 5 mph im guessing with added boost. Remember on URT i was on 3in pulley. Now 2.875.

Users who are viewing this thread