Adventures in E85 - Black goo, brushes, no answers, and other risky endeavors

gaspasr

Established Member
Going on 170 miles since 465s replaced my 400s that died after only 800 miles on e85. Seems all good so far. Going to check on filter at 250 miles and will report back as well.

thgt500

Established Member
Going on 170 miles since 465s replaced my 400s that died after only 800 miles on e85. Seems all good so far. Going to check on filter at 250 miles and will report back as well.

Please do man. Really hope these 465'S are at least part of my cure. Or else im really going to feel like an idiot for buying so quickly.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Have any of you guys dropped your tank to see if anything is in it.

thgt500

Established Member
We looked pretty good when we lowered the tank to get the hat out. Nothing really to see. The E85 in the tank looked crystal clear with nothing floating around or anything. Will be looking again tomorrow when we put the 465's in.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
thgt500 - good luck with it.

I've been lucky and my filters come out fine.

IMG00277-20110417-1648.jpg

Side note - do you have a catch can system set up? E85 throws off a lot of condensation (I can't see the vids at my office)

IMG00278-20110417-1711.jpg

You should post this in 'this distillery' section. Might get more help there. Good luck!

there is a similar on-going thread there already

thgt500

Established Member
^^ Thanks man. Yes i run JLT driver and passenger side cans. Haven't noticed an increase in fluid/oil in them. But, i have only been on E85 a lil over a month and only opened them once and that was after dyno. I will check them more often now.

thgt500

Established Member

Drained the tank today. Here is what i found by pulling a sample of the fuel straight from the return line. I drained it into a new 5 gallon home depot bucket by disconnecting the return line from the hat and turning on the key. Then took a syringe and placed a few drops on a clean white sheet of paper.

28qyu5w.jpg

Also recently i have been noticing that bank 1 and bank 2 AF'S were way off from each other on my Aeroforce. Also showed in recent logging. So i replaced the widebands today as well. The readings are alot closer now...within 0.10 of each other.

194lxk.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Check the tank for sure. Also you should pull a ll the injectors too an clean them cause if that came from the return line its in your whole system.

Last edited:

thgt500

Established Member
Check the tank for sure. Also you should pull a ll the injectors too an clean them cause if that came from the return line its in your whole system.

Yep, Tomorrow is the new pumps and a good cleanout. Then I will start the process of changing/rotating the filters out at different mileage increments. Going to do the first changeout after the new pumps.... at 100 miles. fun fun. And time consuming.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Been running the 465's for 3 month......no issues. I'll be changing my filter tomorrow.

twistedneck

Established Member
thgt500, thanks for sharing this information.. bummer that the pumps seem to be the culprit and yet the 465's are fine.

Would you agree it was the pumps that did all the original contamination?

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Thanks for sharing this info and subbing for end results. Hope these pumps take care of it for ya bud.

Myfast70

Established Member
I run an Aeromotive Eliminator pump on my twin turbo '93 with MagnaFuel filters on both inlet and outlet. The inlet filter is the larger 125 micron plastic mesh and the outlet is the finer 25 micron stainless mesh.

I've yet to have any issues like you mention. I will say though that now when I fill my tank I do use the Jaz fuel funnel with the built in filter to minimize debris getting into the tank. My wife has run a large amount of E85 thru her GN with zero issues. Her setup is a custom twin DW300 pump setup that I built with my own aluminum hat.

She's logged a lot more miles than I have on my '93 so far. One thing that I have noticed is a bit of sticky stuff (for lack of a better term) on the very tips of the injectors. I wiped it off of all the injectors and managed to roll it into a tiny ball of "gunk". I rolled it around and it seemed to be oil based. I then put it on the tip of a small screwdriver and put a lighter to it and sure enough when burned it smells just like burning oil.

Now I have been told in the past from Rocket Brand fuels and a couple other sources that pump based E85 is made up of 85% ethanol and the rest is whatever junk gas and fluids that the refineries have laying around. They said that sometimes the 15% is cut with trans fluid and other oils which would be why the gunk smells like oil when burned by itself. If you talk to Rocket Brand they tell you that their stuff start with 100% ethanol and then is cut with race gas to make it E85 but it also cost $7+/ gallon too.

Looking at your pics of the fuel filter above I would say the twisting damage has been done by removing (unscrewing) the filter from the housing. The filter could potentially implode or crush from extreme pressure (beyond what the pumps may be capable of) but excessive pressure wouldn't be able to get it to twist and distort as pictured.

I have read somewhere that some guys actually run a tank of 87 octane thru the car every few tank fulls of E85 just to kinda flush the system out. This will require a second tune and an extremely cautious right foot to keep things out of boost to prevent engine damage from detonation. One thing I have noticed is that the Chevron station that I get my gas from has been very consistent at 85-87% E85 when I test it. Never over, never under.

Are you going to brand name stations for your E85? Is it always the same station or always different ones? You could always stick with just one station and see what results are yielded although it may not be feasible to do so for some. The Chevron station I use just so happens to be about 5 miles from my house so it's the only one I ever use.

That's just some of my experience with E85 I've had in the 6+ years running it and my .02

Last edited:

thgt500

Established Member
thgt500, thanks for sharing this information.. bummer that the pumps seem to be the culprit and yet the 465's are fine.

Would you agree it was the pumps that did all the original contamination?

Can't say right now. I am back to being 50/50 on it. I think when i dissect the 405's I may have my answers unless they look perfect inside.

thgt500

Established Member
Thanks for sharing this info and subbing for end results. Hope these pumps take care of it for ya bud.

Thanks man! I just wanna make is pass in this thing. Car really feels like its gonna hurt some feelings on the street.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread