A few winter mods

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Awesome hood changes. Nice job with it. You should consider doing some other mods at the same time. LOL! Seriously, you've been BUSY! Reminds me when we go to Stop & Shop for a couple of items....and $150.00 later we're on the way home. :)

I love the flex fuel sensor. Great, convenient mod. First time you stop for E-85 you're going to be really happy.

Keep us posted on the winter/spring project. Impressive mods with some nice custom touches.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sometimes I wish we had an off season so I could do stuff to the car. I never want to get into anything big because I want to be able to drive it.

I'm really curious how your ECU set up works out.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
All I can say is wow. I wish I had 1/4 of your ability and know how
That's what I'm saying! Malcolm, is it possible to integrate that flex fuel sensor into any return fuel system? Or do you need the proper ecu/engine management software? Major concern of mine for when I go E85. Don't want to stress about ethanol levels.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's what I'm saying! Malcolm, is it possible to integrate that flex fuel sensor into any return fuel system? Or do you need the proper ecu/engine management software? Major concern of mine for when I go E85. Don't want to stress about ethanol levels.

Unfortunately the stock ECU just completely lacks the hardware/software ability to deal with flex fuel. There's really not much you can do. I've looked into various hacks for a while and they are just that. Half working hacks that are a waste of time.
I considered installing a newer ECU from perhaps a Coyote or similar that does have flex fuel abilities within the ECU and activating it and using that but once again OEM ECUs just have so many limitations and hoops to jump through making it work I was not overly happy about that.

So I did a little more digging into the stand alone ECUs. I was so intrigued I actually signed up and attended an in person tuning class devoted to stand alone ECUs only. We covered all the various brands, models, what they can and can't do etc. I was just blown away at how feature rich they were now days and how far they've come since I'd looked at them many years ago.

A little more research on our cars shows the stock gauge cluster is run by a CAN bus (think something like network connection for your computer) link from the stock ECU. Not wanting to loose the stock gauge cluster is why I decided to keep the stock ECU. It will still be connected to the various engine sensors and it'll think it's driving the engine. So the gauge cluster will still function as stock.
However under the covers the MS3-Pro is what will actually be driving the engine. It will be controlling the ignition coils, the fuel injectors, IAC motor, fuel pump activation etc.
There are a few pretty neat features that come along with the MS3-Pro too. Of course flex fuel is probably my favorite but it'll also do things like closed loop WOT which is something I've wanted for years. Many many more features. Could go on for days about it.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Unfortunately the stock ECU just completely lacks the hardware/software ability to deal with flex fuel. There's really not much you can do. I've looked into various hacks for a while and they are just that. Half working hacks that are a waste of time.
I considered installing a newer ECU from perhaps a Coyote or similar that does have flex fuel abilities within the ECU and activating it and using that but once again OEM ECUs just have so many limitations and hoops to jump through making it work I was not overly happy about that.

So I did a little more digging into the stand alone ECUs. I was so intrigued I actually signed up and attended an in person tuning class devoted to stand alone ECUs only. We covered all the various brands, models, what they can and can't do etc. I was just blown away at how feature rich they were now days and how far they've come since I'd looked at them many years ago.

A little more research on our cars shows the stock gauge cluster is run by a CAN bus (think something like network connection for your computer) link from the stock ECU. Not wanting to loose the stock gauge cluster is why I decided to keep the stock ECU. It will still be connected to the various engine sensors and it'll think it's driving the engine. So the gauge cluster will still function as stock.
However under the covers the MS3-Pro is what will actually be driving the engine. It will be controlling the ignition coils, the fuel injectors, IAC motor, fuel pump activation etc.
There are a few pretty neat features that come along with the MS3-Pro too. Of course flex fuel is probably my favorite but it'll also do things like closed loop WOT which is something I've wanted for years. Many many more features. Could go on for days about it.
That's awesome!!!! Cool you were able to learn so much about its capabilities! Looking forward to seeing what you can do with that beast! That all seems a bit too intricate and involved for me lol I'll just stick to testing fuel...haha

cj428mach

Established Member

The mega squirt will be leaps and bounds above the stock ecm for many reasons but have you ever figured out how decipha was going to make flex fuel work on FBGI0? I believe that was going to be a true flex fuel for the stock ecm and might give hope for guys less aggressive as you are....like me lol.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The mega squirt will be leaps and bounds above the stock ecm for many reasons but have you ever figured out how decipha was going to make flex fuel work on FBGI0? I believe that was going to be a true flex fuel for the stock ecm and might give hope for guys less aggressive as you are....like me lol.

His was not even close to true flex fuel. There was no timing considerations at all and the fueling adjustment was somewhat of a hack. It's been a while since I looked at that one, I don't recall all the details off the top of my head.
I seem to recall with his you drive around and wait for fuel trims to try and correct? I know we chatted about this at one time but drawing a blank on his exact method.
In true flex fuel you have multiple fuel maps and timing tables and a way to blend between them based on ethanol content and it should be in closed loop the whole time including WOT to keep corrections on point.
Although I have seen a trend lately to do it with a single fuel map and just vary it based on the flex fuel sensor readings. I don't have the pros and cons between them yet. Its going to take some tinkering and trying them out.

cj428mach

Established Member
His was not even close to true flex fuel. There was no timing considerations at all and the fueling adjustment was somewhat of a hack. It's been a while since I looked at that one, I don't recall all the details off the top of my head.
I seem to recall with his you drive around and wait for fuel trims to try and correct? I know we chatted about this at one time but drawing a blank on his exact method.
In true flex fuel you have multiple fuel maps and timing tables and a way to blend between them based on ethanol content and it should be in closed loop the whole time including WOT to keep corrections on point.
Although I have seen a trend lately to do it with a single fuel map and just vary it based on the flex fuel sensor readings. I don't have the pros and cons between them yet. Its going to take some tinkering and trying them out.

I think years ago he talked about using a flex fuel sensor to some how trigger a QH to switch tunes. I believe he's actually add flex fuel code to the ecm so I assume it'll work like stock.

since im writing the closed loop wideband control i was just going to infer ethanol content based on the global fuel correction shift, well some folks didnt like that idea so instead requested i write code to use a flex fuel sensor instead

You simply mount an inline flex fuel sensor in your fuel line, then run it to an unused pin on the ecu, enable the flex fuel code in the ecu and off you go

fbgi0 isnt so much a problem cuz theres bunches of free rom, the cbaza cars and 03-04 maueauders / crown vic / luxury fords both suffer from no free rom so i have to make the code compact and portable yet robust enough and in depth enough to be fully supportive, i actually started the code originally on gufb, ported it over to fbfg2 and then over to cbaza and now fbgi0, so its been through the paces lol

I have no eta on it, i just rewrote the logic last tuesday so itll be a bit, its all part of my 2 step and meth / n2o and wideband CL code so its a package deal. Ive highly considered using hego2s input with a programmable wideband set to output full range at 0-1v but thats not ideal since I use AEMs which arent, when i figure out how i want to implement it then ill proceed, its nothing difficult just time consuming

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions post it on my forum​

Again nothing like what the mega squirt will allow, just a hope for some of us wanting to stay stock ecm.

Since you went to all that effort to paint the front clip you should get a clear bra. I absolutely love mine.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ah yes thanks for quoting that old post. It brings back memories now. One interesting thing I've read too is how ECUs actually made for flex fuel will only read the sensor at intervals and adjust slowly. This is a much preferred setup over instantaneous readings because when you go WOT into boost the last thing you want is the flex fuel sensor getting a hickup reading and the ECU suddenly leaning out the mixture. I've read that some cars will even starve the flex fuel sensor of fuel in the return line at WOT causing erroneous readings at those moments in time. Depending on how Decipha implements it just be aware of that and test accordingly.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
How do you like that lift? I'm looking at getting one probably this summer for my house. Looks like it works well, and you're able to remove the engine from the bottom which is pretty slick!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Nice to see it starting to come together for you!

Thanks, you guys did a great job. The heads look brand new.

How do you like that lift? I'm looking at getting one probably this summer for my house. Looks like it works well, and you're able to remove the engine from the bottom which is pretty slick!

Love it. Tasks like removing the engine become so easy. To easy lol, it keeps coming out :)

Users who are viewing this thread