2025 RAM 1500 | MotorWeek Road Test

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, no more Hemi. But, Hello Hurricane turbo inline 6! Max version is 540hp and 521 tq. The nameplate will be missed by many, but performance is still alive and well with both inline 6s.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Im surprised they actually went with the Hurricane name as that was a development code named used by Ford for their engines in the late 2000s. Also the use of the name Tungsten for the top trim was a color choice on some Fords.

Quick observation

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Considering its an inline 6, I hope the problems will be minimal. But I'm sure California will find a way to stifle the engine so much that it will fail prematurely
I will not even consider a turbo 6 cylinder truck. I'm sure it makes good power right up until it breaks out of warranty.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Already seeing ~50rwhp gains with some simple tweaks
The TRX groups are guessing a simple tune might bring these to the level of a stock TRX. Sounds like you're getting close already

tistan

Established Member
Considering its an inline 6, I hope the problems will be minimal. But I'm sure California will find a way to stifle the engine so much that it will fail prematurely

The actual engine isn't the problem, it's the turbochargers and all of those components that are needed to get it preform like a basic V8 that will be problematic.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I will not even consider a turbo 6 cylinder truck. I'm sure it makes good power right up until it breaks out of warranty.

Right there with you. I had a ton of trouble with my 2018 Raptor and my wifes 2019 Explorer Sport.

I much prefer a simple engine.

My 2022 Ram Rebel 5.7L has been amazing. It's a shame they ditched such a strong, well designed platform, and I hope their future sales reflect that.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The actual engine isn't the problem, it's the turbochargers and all of those components that are needed to get it preform like a basic V8 that will be problematic.

The base engine does look promising, but it looks like its sporting a lot of the latest trends on all the ancillary components that focus on reducing cost and weight. Could make a potent engine (especially with aftermarket upgrades) but with a lot of day to day headaches

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I think for a truck an NA engine cannot be beat. The reliability and simplicy are important for a truck. Heck, I even wish my Maverick had an equivalent HP NA V6 or something instead of the Ecoboost 4. Yes, the turbo engines are super easy to get big HP out of with tuning, but the smoothness and reliability of NA cannot be beat IMHO.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The HP/TRQ numbers got my attention. Just hate that it comes on the top trim.
I get it, but I couldn't care less about fancier leather or more technology to break inside the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread