2025 RAM 1500 | MotorWeek Road Test

4.698gt

Established Member
TT l6 > N/A v8 all day long and 2x on Sunday. Bring the hurricane on!!

Engine config matters. Make no mistake..... l6 ≠ v6.
I6 motors are historically great but as mentioned already, with all the modern BS the government makes them add on for the emissions nonsense, that's where the most headaches will manifest. Look at the 6.0l diesel, solid motor once the add on rubbish was removed or updated to higher quality stuff.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I6 motors are historically great but as mentioned already, with all the modern BS the government makes them add on for the emissions nonsense, that's where the most headaches will manifest. Look at the 6.0l diesel, solid motor once the add on rubbish was removed or updated to higher quality stuff.

Same logic can be used for ANY gas or diesel engine. Not sure what the point is TBH. They are ALL hamstrung to some extent.

Turbochargers make EVERYTHING better. There is no downside. Add to that the straight 6 configuration which is incredibly durable (more main bearings) and smoooooooth and you have a winning combo.

Historically the l6 has been a packaging problem hence the advent of the v6. In trucks, however, there has always been plenty of room for an inline 6.

I hope other manufactures follow suit.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The actual engine isn't the problem, it's the turbochargers and all of those components that are needed to get it preform like a basic V8 that will be problematic.

^This. I don’t understand why anyone wants a tt, valve coking, increase maintenance, higher cost engine, same mpg as n/a.

I’d factually point out that 99% of the time, that “extra” horsepower produced by these tt is NEVER used by the owners of the vehicles.

I’ve got a 2012 Escape with a 2.5L n/a 4cyl w/139k miles. I have no reason to believe that it won’t make 200k miles.

IF it was TT, I would have offed it years ago, for decreased performance (coking), fear of it grenading, and repair costs in the $4k-$5k range.

@gimmie11s

Your TT argument has no merit 99% of the time, is a waste of money, and resources.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Im surprised they actually went with the Hurricane name as that was a development code named used by Ford for their engines in the late 2000s. Also the use of the name Tungsten for the top trim was a color choice on some Fords.

Quick observation
There used to be a Hurricane in the Willys. Just banging the drum on recycled nameplates and seeing what falls out.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
^This. I don’t understand why anyone wants a tt, valve coking, increase maintenance, higher cost engine, same mpg as n/a.

I’d factually point out that 99% of the time, that “extra” horsepower produced by these tt is NEVER used by the owners of the vehicles.

I’ve got a 2012 Escape with a 2.5L n/a 4cyl w/139k miles. I have no reason to believe that it won’t make 200k miles.

IF it was TT, I would have offed it years ago, for decreased performance (coking), fear of it grenading, and repair costs in the $4k-$5k range.

@gimmie11s

Your TT argument has no merit 99% of the time, is a waste of money, and resources.

The biggest POS turd truck I ever owned was my 2018 Raptor. Bought it new, and it spent almost 3 months at the dealer in the first 2 years. So many engine problems. The top half of the engine was overhauled at 17k miles. At 41k miles the same engine problem resurfaced, and I bailed. Got my 2020 Tremor 7.3L and was never happier to have a simple engine again.

kaz109

Established Member
My Raptor has been rock solid and I actually use it for its intended purpose, I did cross shop it with a rebel and I couldn’t get out of the rebel fast enough…. What a turd.

I do prefer a NA but in a truck it has to make much more power and no current NA motor can match what a TT 6cyl offers. 650 in a 7.3L would do they trick but miss me with the 430

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
My Raptor has been rock solid and I actually use it for its intended purpose, I did cross shop it with a rebel and I couldn’t get out of the rebel fast enough…. What a turd.

LOL yeah sure. Rebel and Raptor as quite different, all around. Not on the same level, or price point.

My Rebel experience has been WAY better than my 2018 Raptor was.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

@gimmie11s

Salty old man. Get with the times! :p

kaz109

Established Member
LOL yeah sure. Rebel and Raptor as quite different, all around. Not on the same level, or price point.

My Rebel experience has been WAY better than my 2018 Raptor was.
Obviously they are not on the same level, I am comparing to the reliability I have experienced with the TT everyone is so scared of and the dog shit performance of the 5.7 Hemi ppl love.

I do understand your posing of view though, if I wanted to putt around the ranch then sure by all means an underperforming V8 that sounds good would do the trick but for this application a Hemi would be dog shit… even the 6.4

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Obviously they are not on the same level, I am comparing to the reliability I have experienced with the TT everyone is so scared of and the dog shit performance of the 5.7 Hemi ppl love.

I do understand your posing of view though, if I wanted to putt around the ranch then sure by all means an underperforming V8 that sounds good would do the trick but for this application a Hemi would be dog shit… even the 6.4

What a cynic. You haven't changed from your Godzilla hating days.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
The biggest POS turd truck I ever owned was my 2018 Raptor. Bought it new, and it spent almost 3 months at the dealer in the first 2 years. So many engine problems. The top half of the engine was overhauled at 17k miles. At 41k miles the same engine problem resurfaced, and I bailed. Got my 2020 Tremor 7.3L and was never happier to have a simple engine again.
Agreed, there's a reason you rarely see someone replace an ECOBOOST truck with another ECOBOOST. Myself included.

That said, my father just traded in his ECOBOOST on a 2018 coyote, I thought for sure it had rod knock but according to the dealer, it's cam phasers and very common for them to be noisy.

kaz109

Established Member
What a cynic. You haven't changed from your Godzilla hating days.
Not hating at all…. It’s a good work truck motor as currently constructed. It is not performer oriented in the least .

If you don’t understand that idk what to tell you . I would think you are smarter then “ all V8s are good because V8” thumper crowd but I could be mistaken.

Now a megazilla create engine into a half ton you have an argument and I’d agree with you all day and take that over an Ecoboost motor . The 5.7 Hemi isn’t even in this discussion, it’s dog water

snakecharmer

Established Member
Here's the thing I think a lot of people are missing. The high output version of that thing requires premium. So it is going to cost you a LOT more to operate that hurricane than it did the hemi because the mileage gains are minimal at best.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Here's the thing I think a lot of people are missing. The high output version of that thing requires premium. So it is going to cost you a LOT more to operate that hurricane than it did the hemi because the mileage gains are minimal at best.

I got in a customer's 2019 5.7 Charger Daytona and saw the average MPGs at 26.x. My EB 2.0 4cyl Escape ST is barely at 23.3 mpg. It's gone up .5 since I've had the dog as he likes to be out the window so I have to drive like a grandpa now. I know they have cylinder deactivation, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread