2015 Mustang to gain 300lbs.!?!

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I hope this is not true. I know a lot of people on here were saying/hoping that it was going to be a few hundred pounds lighter but this article says it is going to gain a couple hundred lbs.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-mustang-might-have-just-gained-a-whole-fa-1584241975/+ballaban

The news of the weight gain comes to us from famed Ford tuner Steeda, via the always-on-the-ball people at Mustangs Daily:

Our work is cut out for us because unbeknown to most Mustang aficionados (and not "officially" confirmed by Ford for obvious reasons), the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake – and with weight being the "enemy of performance", there are plenty of challenges needed to ensure that the 2015 iteration of America's favorite Pony Car isn't left at the starting line spinning its wheels against the competition.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
265974.gif

Hahahahaha it would be a hilarious fail. I for one expect a weight gain.

Last edited:

B0B

Established Member
That will suck. I don't get it. They leave so much performance and fuel economy on the table by adding the weight, yet they keep making cars bigger so they have "more room." Who needs room?!

o2gt

Established Member
i really hope this is not true, it would really be to bad if they add that much weight to the car. normally i would discount this but i think steeda is a reputable source. im wondering if this is one of the reasons we have not seen the specs on the car yet. possible they are trying to figure a few things out now that they have concluded the weight is going to increase. hope they increase the power to offset the gain. i guess the camaro does well around the track with similar specs. hope we find out soon what is going on i think ford has messed up this release its just gone on to long with to little info given.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
From the article:

"This just in the 2015 mustang has been announced to have gained 300 pounds and is now heavier and slower than the 2014 5.0 GT. The new 2015 SVT Cobra is rumored to be testing on the nubering and is now the new competition for it's lighter enemy the 2012 ZL1.

Ford executives say: Even though the 2015 is heavier and slower than previous generations of mustangs. It will capture the hearts and minds of the youth of today with it's weird New Edgish styling, and slowness like the Camaro. We will also be coming out with a Gundam edition mustang to compete with the Transformer Camaro's.

Ford Ceo Allan Mullay says: The mustang gaining weight is the future. I envision a car that doesn't look or sound like a mustang. A flat crank, and a fat body...kind of like my wife. The mustang of the future should at least weight 4500 pounds for saftey reasons. We have our engineers taking the weight from the F-150's and hiding them in the trunks of the mustangs for better traction/safety."

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I dont trust steeda. 200-300lbs is a big range which is it? Why not say that our mustang weighs in at ....(lets say 3800lbs)? I think its because they dont really know. Also they said it will be tough increasing performance, which is really Fords job and all steeda is fine tuning. I find it hard to believe that Ford would bring a new everything mustang to market which does not destroy the old mustang and camaro on the strip and track.
Ford is not building a grand tourismo, its building a sports car with increased performance at every stat. No way would Ford stand still or back track on performance!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Supposedly Steeda said this? They are not a Ford contractor from what I know but they would be hurt pretty bad I'd assume by releasing details without Ford's permission. If I'm not mistaken, Ford still keeps them in the loop like many other companies when it comes to new products. Why would they risk losing that?

There are members in here who don't have companies riding on the line and their lips have been sealed, why would Steeda after all these years break silence?

I'm not saying it isn't possible but I'm doubting it.

steeltoe

Established Member
When I worked for Roush building prototypes we would load the cars down with at least 500 pounds of engineering and telemetry gear.

Also I highly doubt that Ford would have said when they launched the car that it was 300lbs lighter than the S-197 and then 6 months later its actually 300lbs heavier

BMR Tech

Ford has never claimed any details about the overall weight of the car.

They made statements claiming to be searching for ways to shed weight from specific areas of the car.

This is common sense. The design and features of modern cars, is bias towards more weight. IRS to boot. So Ford told people that they are saving weight in several areas, but never said the car was actually lighter, heavier, etc.

The interwebs just ran with it and there we were.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gained 100lbs, or lost 100lbs. My guess is the car will weigh within 50lbs of the outgoing 2014 MY. ;)

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Another reason I'm glad I got a pair of late '14s. I played the whole hp/weight game with the lightning and it ended up making my wallet hemorrhage.
for example, I get a new 100lb tonneau cover, need XX more hp/torque to get power to weight ratio back to where it was. But typically I'd throw more hp/torque at her than that.
The S550 has promise but I think too much was put into it to make it a global car in the first generation. In a few years things will change and it will become a better car, look at the 05 vs the '11 or '14. The s550s big problem is it just has the amazing s197 as it's predecessor and it will be a tough act to follow, hopefully the bit of s197 dna the s550 got will make the evolution to greatness quicker.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
That will suck. I don't get it. They leave so much performance and fuel economy on the table by adding the weight, yet they keep making cars bigger so they have "more room." Who needs room?!
Fat ass americans. And the same people that bitch that the rear seats in a mustang are cramped and praise the uss srt8 challenger. Lol, rear seats in the stang were never spacious in the first place.
Whew! Dodged a bullet, im keeping my car! :coolman:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Speaking of weight gain, the c7z is going to weigh in at 3600-3700lbs. I read a couple of articles trying to find the engine specs of the lt4, only to find the weight of the c7z. And not enough engine details.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ford has never claimed any details about the overall weight of the car.

They made statements claiming to be searching for ways to shed weight from specific areas of the car.

This is common sense. The design and features of modern cars, is bias towards more weight. IRS to boot. So Ford told people that they are saving weight in several areas, but never said the car was actually lighter, heavier, etc.

The interwebs just ran with it and there we were.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gained 100lbs, or lost 100lbs. My guess is the car will weigh within 50lbs of the outgoing 2014 MY. ;)
THIS makes perfect sense. So I will agree with you that the 2015 Mustang will likely weight within 50 lbs. of the 2014 Mustang. And more likely 50 lbs. more than 50 lbs. less.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Well where are they picking all this extra weight from? Must be the body and frame, the 5.0 engine will be the same as before but stronger. The ecoboost is smaller and lighter so that's not it. The 3.6, nothing's changed there. The IRS adds 300lbs? Dimensionally the car is very close in size to previous model years, who knows?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Speaking of weight gain, the c7z is going to weigh in at 3600-3700lbs. I read a couple of articles trying to find the engine specs of the lt4, only to find the weight of the c7z. And not enough engine details.

Do you have a link? That much of a weight gain for the C7Z is a bit hard to believe. The base C7 weighs 3,298 lbs. That would be a 10-12% increase in weight for the Z. Motor Trend estimates the weight at 3,450 lbs. And even that seems a bit high.

Users who are viewing this thread