2011-2014 Mustang GT / BOSS / V6 180degree Thermostat

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yeah I think your missing the pressure coolant is under in the system as well might effect the valve opening earlier with less temperature. That would be my guess why it opened at higher temp than indicated other than being defective.

The main reason for pressurizing the cooling system is to increase the boiling point of the coolant. Pressure could have an effect on the thermostat, but you could still establish a benchmark without a pressurized system. If I had a spare aftermarket one I could definitely make a comparison between the two. I have a couple of vessels I can manipulate pressure in, but I don't think I have one that will fit the thermostat. We need more lab equipment, time to get a few grants I suppose.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thats how ford lists component tests for thermostats now. Earlier models you can use the boiling water and temp test.

Also now we have dtc's for thermostats. P0128 and P0125 I believe.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

That makes sense. It's probably cheaper to just put a new one in than pay a tech to test it.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I'm not sure that's a good thing. The engine was designed to work most efficiently at the higher temps. How many NA guys on this forum have run their best times on a hot lap, quite a few I think.

I'm more concerned with keeping the car cool here in the desert while running the Paxton and ac.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I'm not sure that's a good thing. The engine was designed to work most efficiently at the higher temps. How many NA guys on this forum have run their best times on a hot lap, quite a few I think.

Yea but we can let a car idle for an hour before a pass and the engine will be heated, But the rear and trans are still cold if you catch my drift. so when making a "hot lap" the whole car is hot.

I will say a coyote runs better with some heat in it but doesnt mean that they are always the best at 212 if you know what i mean.

on Heads up Race cars we actually heat the engine oil, Trans, and Diff but keep the coolant cool

not saying this is what you need to do for an everyday street car.

Moral of the story is a Cooler should be a bit better and it alot depends on your tune in the car IMO

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yea but we can let a car idle for an hour before a pass and the engine will be heated, But the rear and trans are still cold if you catch my drift. so when making a "hot lap" the whole car is hot.

I will say a coyote runs better with some heat in it but doesnt mean that they are always the best at 212 if you know what i mean.

on Heads up Race cars we actually heat the engine oil, Trans, and Diff but keep the coolant cool

not saying this is what you need to do for an everyday street car.

Moral of the story is a Cooler should be a bit better and it alot depends on your tune in the car IMO

I'd agree, get everything warm other than the coolant itself, and everything seems to work really good

mtrsprt

Established Member
I'd agree, get everything warm other than the coolant itself, and everything seems to work really good
Incoming air cold too!

160* oil....
130* coolant

100* or less cool dense air...= winning.......

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I wanted to see what temp the oem Stat is in the 11-14 GT's. (180)
What do Shaun,Lund,Justin etc.. adjust the fan on/off temps to on their custom tunes for Coyote 5.0's especially in the deep south? what are the factory settings? I see high 180 cruising temps with a 180 Stat in my 99 with the fan settings I did. thanks...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread