2011-2014 Mustang GT / BOSS / V6 180degree Thermostat

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Does anyone have any before and after results of actual temps of the coolant? I understand that putting a cooler thermostat will open it sooner, but I've also read about not giving the coolant time to cool off in the radiator before the thermostat opens can actually result in hotter temps. I just put a KB on my '12 and would be interested in getting things just a little cooler underhood if it's a proven concept. I need DATA! :)

Car would get to 195-200 when it was like 90 outside. With the 170 t stat in 95 degree weather it doesn't get over 185 degrees even with ac on.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Good to know. Now someone needs to test this jet 180

I don't have one of those. I just have the stock one left over from an article we did that can be found in this forum:

Front Page News - SVTPerformance

As a side note, my numbers are quick and dirty. I literally just set it up in my garage in a couple of minutes with some old lab equipment I have. I'd still like to have a stirring hotplate if anyone wants to make a donation to the SVTP lab we could use a Corning PC-420D:

Corning Life Sciences Catalog

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
With summer coming up, I would mind grabbing this up.

*Excuse Any Grammar or Spelling Errors*
Tapatalkin' on the iPhone

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Car would get to 195-200 when it was like 90 outside. With the 170 t stat in 95 degree weather it doesn't get over 185 degrees even with ac on.

I'm not sure that's a good thing. The engine was designed to work most efficiently at the higher temps. How many NA guys on this forum have run their best times on a hot lap, quite a few I think.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I'm not sure that's a good thing. The engine was designed to work most efficiently at the higher temps. How many NA guys on this forum have run their best times on a hot lap, quite a few I think.

This is what I was thinking.

*Excuse Any Grammar or Spelling Errors*
Tapatalkin' on the iPhone

Chaney5.0

If it makes you feel any better we just did a 170 thermo swap on a 2012 5.0 of my buddies two weeks ago and it said 180 on his stock thermo as well.

Not flaming just stating what I saw.

:pop:

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If it makes you feel any better we just did a 170 thermo swap on a 2012 5.0 of my buddies two weeks ago and it said 180 on it as well.

Not flaming just stating what I saw.

:pop:

So much for being a 170. Sounds like false advertising.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The ford workshop manual actually says not to use boiling water to test what temp the stock t-stat opens up at. It says the test is inaccurate lol.

-Thomas

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
What does it list as the proper testing procedure?

Straight from the component test section for the thermostat.

Thermostat Visual Inspection
  1. Remove the thermostat.
  1. Examine the thermostat for signs of damage including:
    • Valve not fully seated (light visible through the valve)
    • Foreign material lodged in the main valve
    • Bent or broken frame or flange
    • Bent or broken spring
    • Bent or broken valve or valve stem
    • Wax leaking from wax reservoir or a bulge in the reservoir
    • Any other damage or distortion
  1. NOTICE: If no damage is found during the inspection, do not attempt to open the thermostat using hot water or other heat sources. This method is not an accurate way of testing the function of the thermostat and may damage the thermostat.
    If damage is found during the inspection, remove any foreign material or broken pieces and install a new thermostat.
  1. If no damage is found during the inspection, continue troubleshooting the system concern. Go to the Symptom Chart for further instructions.
-Thomas

kingnut

Established Member
So in the OP it was stated that the factory thermostat opens at 209 degrees. To make it seem like the car has a 209 degree thermostat. When indeed the car comes with a 180 degree t-stat and the item for sale is an aftermarket 180 degree t-stat. Just a summary of where we are currently.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
So in the OP it was stated that the factory thermostat opens at 209 degrees. To make it seem like the car has a 209 degree thermostat. When indeed the car comes with a 180 degree t-stat and the item for sale is an aftermarket 180 degree t-stat. Just a summary of where we are currently.

Fully open at 209 most likely, as SID found his was fully open around 201.

Only way to find what this t-stat fully opens at is to buy and test one.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Who sells a 170? Is a re-tune required for a lower temp t-stat?

I wouldn't think so. If you wanted the car to run cooler(for whatever reason) then you would need to retune to have the fans come on at a lower temperature.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Straight from the component test section for the thermostat.

Thermostat Visual Inspection
  1. Remove the thermostat.
  1. Examine the thermostat for signs of damage including:
    • Valve not fully seated (light visible through the valve)
    • Foreign material lodged in the main valve
    • Bent or broken frame or flange
    • Bent or broken spring
    • Bent or broken valve or valve stem
    • Wax leaking from wax reservoir or a bulge in the reservoir
    • Any other damage or distortion
  1. NOTICE: If no damage is found during the inspection, do not attempt to open the thermostat using hot water or other heat sources. This method is not an accurate way of testing the function of the thermostat and may damage the thermostat.
    If damage is found during the inspection, remove any foreign material or broken pieces and install a new thermostat.
  1. If no damage is found during the inspection, continue troubleshooting the system concern. Go to the Symptom Chart for further instructions.
-Thomas

I believe the reason they don't want it tested like that is because you can easily over extend it or shock it, thus rendering it useless. I'd like to know how a change that can be visually observed in controlled surroundings and then be repeated is inaccurate.

mhyjek

Established Member
Well I just did a little experiment. A stock 2012 thermostat starts to open at about 190 degrees Fahrenheit it was fully open at about 201 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yeah I think your missing the pressure coolant is under in the system as well might effect the valve opening earlier with less temperature. That would be my guess why it opened at higher temp than indicated other than being defective.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I believe the reason they don't want it tested like that is because you can easily over extend it or shock it, thus rendering it useless. I'd like to know how a change that can be visually observed in controlled surroundings and then be repeated is inaccurate.

Thats how ford lists component tests for thermostats now. Earlier models you can use the boiling water and temp test.

Also now we have dtc's for thermostats. P0128 and P0125 I believe.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread