2.8 Kennebell and 2.9 whipple are dogs....

03kevo

Established Member
Be and my buddy are running these two blowers at around 14psi. Boy, our cars are dogs down low. I mean, it feels like a ported heaton would out do these blowers from lets say 2500rpm to like 4850rpms or so. Feels like the eaton was way snappy and grunty down low.
I feel like i want to go back to a 2.3L blower.:nonono:

What are the downsides of running big blowers on low boost?

Last edited:

svtnotch

Established Member
i don't understand why you or anybody would go big blower and not run 20+lbs of boost? whats the point

ctgreddy

Established Member
yeah its the fact of the low boost, why even have a blower that big that doesn't get efficient until around 20 psi? I'd sell it, and buy a 2.3 whipple or vmp tvs at say 18-20psi and you'll make more power thruought the powerband i'm sure.

mach1033

Established Member
Throw a 4lb lower on the 2.9 and then come back and tell me its not snappy. Your gonna have to spin it and run at least torco otherwise go back down to a smaller blower.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
My Whipple at 22lbs of boost on straight race gas wasn't as snappy as my ported Eaton with a 2.9/6lb combo making 17lbs tops.

Race side by side in 4th gear at 40 mph (I know lol but proving a point) the ported Eaton would kill the 2.3 Whipple up until around 70mph or more maybe. Then the Whipple would kill the Eaton.

TRBO VNM

And people laughed at a guy that posted something very similar because the guy went back to the 2.3L for this very reason. Bigger isn't always better. It all depends on the application and what will work best for it.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Maybe if you actually threw some real gears in the car it would feel better lol.. The cars need atleast 3.73's

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've noticed the same thing as the OP. I'm at 20 lbs of boost on my 2.9 crusher setup and it's pretty flat in the lower rpms. Sucks cause it lost that instant torque of the eaton that used to make the car so snappy and fun to drive on back roads. It's also quiet as hell (I know personal preference). Of course get it wide open in the upper RPMs and it's a beast. Stronger than the eaton on spray. Just depends on what you want out of the car.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Its not that the blower isnt effecient at those levels intake temp wise, it is just requiring that much more crank HP to drive. One way to solve this.

SPIN IT TO WIN IT!

When I had my ported eaton combo dialed in I would run with 19-22psi 2.2KB, 2.3 whipple, and 2.4 KB cars all day long till the top of 3rd or beginning of 4th gear, and usually get out on them off the hit from 2nd gear.

I have had an eaton, 2.4KB, and 2.8KB. I know for a fact my 2.8 is alot laggier/linear than the other 2, no questions asked. I still love the 2.8H though....

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Its not that the blower isnt effecient at those levels intake temp wise, it is just requiring that much more crank HP to drive.

I seriously disagree. There's no way spinning my whipple over is such a chore it's dogging my motor till 4000+ rpms. It's not like I'm spinning a giant dyno drum under the hood.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
^ yep... my buddies ported pullied eaton was right next to my whipple 2.3 till mid 3rd gear as well...when I was at 16psi.....

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Just to throw this out there but that is a difference between a roots blower and a twin screws.
This is why the VMP TVS has done so well in the Terminators.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
wow, this thread is full of fail lol. That is all i can say. broke7, good informational post as usual.

mach1033

Established Member
I don't know maybe my car was different but when I drove a ported pullied cobra making 5 rwhp with equal TQ it felt slower than my 2.3 at 17lbs of boost. And when we raced both from.a dig and from a 60mph roll my buddy was left behind like he should have been considering I had 100 HP and 60 more TQ. By the way we did this the same day we were tuned by the same tuner within an hour of each other driving back home from PSI motorsports in PA. Later on I added a 4lb lower and retuned it with torco at 21lbs of boost and I left him like he had a civic with a fart can out back. This caused him to buy a 2.6 KB. Now getting to the 2.9 whipple which I have. When I swapped it in I left the 4lb lower on with the stock upper. Boost checked in at 23.5lbs of boost and I tuned it with torco. This combo maxed out my 60lb injection and twin gt pumps. Even though the tune was adjusted due to this it still hit over 625tq at 2500 rpm. No way did it feel like a pig.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Yeah this isn't making any sense to me... Why is your boost so low? Why did you even buy that size blower if you aren't even gonna use it? At 18-19 psi these things are barely scratching the surface of their capabilities, they really like it around 21+ psi and then they start to show their true colors.

Users who are viewing this thread