2.8 Kennebell and 2.9 whipple are dogs....

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
ding ding!!! I have seen first hand over and over these past 9 years a low boosted twinscrew stay neck and neck with a upper lower ported eaton cobra.

What's low boosted for you and what size twinscrew ? When i had my kb 2.2 @ 17psi i was pulling dealerships on ported blower cars and i also had a ported blower before the kb 2.2 .... There is too much wrong info on this thread with the exception of some posters. Even comparing 17psi ported heaton pulling as hard as a compressor aka twinscrew on top end is not accurate info !!! No ported heaton will pull the same as a low boost whipple on the top end .... why we even saying oh but i stayed with a twinscrwed car til about 100 mph with my steggy or posi blower car . I mean really ? Lol

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What I'm wondering is how do you even get a 2.9 whipple to run at 14 PSI? I mean how large is that top pulley? Do you have a hole cut in the hood for it? lol. I have the stock 3.5 pulley (almost touches the hood) that the 2.9 whipple ships with and stock lower and I'm seeing 20 lbs.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
What's low boosted for you and what size twinscrew ? When i had my kb 2.2 @ 17psi i was pulling dealerships on ported blower cars and i also had a ported blower before the kb 2.2 .... There is too much wrong info on this thread with the exception of some posters. Even comparing 17psi ported heaton pulling as hard as a compressor aka twinscrew on top end is not accurate info !!! No ported heaton will pull the same as a low boost whipple on the top end .... why we even saying oh but i stayed with a twinscrwed car til about 100 mph with my steggy or posi blower car . I mean really ? Lol

I ran 127-128 with a 17psi 2.93/4lb lower steg ported eaton I put on in 2004. 90% of the people on this site cant crack 130 with a twinscrew.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll play

I've been limited to 91 Octane with my 2.9. 17#'s peak on a cooler day

After a few attempts to sell my 2.9 and go with a TVS I finally quit. Just couldnt find a buyer.

Im mostly a turn key and go sort of guy and I have my 2.9 set up.

My wifes car has a 2.3 Whip w/ 4# lower @ 19lbs.

It does not take a dyno, but simply "seat of the pants judge" to conclude my wifes setup is snappy as hell compared to my car, as the OP sort of asked.

Im hoping that 93 and/or 100 octane will put a little more pep in my cars step.

As far as gears I have really considered going 3:73's but I guess I need someone to really make my mind up for me and sell me on em, completely

Just my $0.02:beer:

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
I ran 127-128 with a 17psi 2.93/4lb lower steg ported eaton I put on in 2004. 90% of the people on this site cant crack 130 with a twinscrew.

This ^^^^ I've gone 127 in 2005 on a OG apten port In Vegas with god awful DA. Fact is big blowers need to be spun to work well.

Last edited:

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
my kb2.2 makes 500 ft-lb at 2000rpms.. (~20psi)

It feels faster than my stock eaton in every situation. I think a 2.9 would be a great blower, but would have plans to spin it hard on e85 / race fuel

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
when my car was running right, 2.9 whipple at 14psi, damn thing was a ZR1 killer, absolute animal in any gear

:shrug:

2004CobraDynoSheet14PSI.jpg

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
How much power your ported eaton was making to trap 127 ? Full weight with irs and stock wheels ??

My car was on slicks/skinnies, no spare, no jack and otherwise full weight.

I had made as high as 544whp SAE on a good dyno, and as low as 510whp SAE on another dyno.

I was also going 10.80's....this was in 2005 btw.

sn94cobra

Corn-aholic
Established Member
Buying a twin screw and running below 20 psi is a complete waste.

My little 2.3 just made 699 rwhp and 669 rwtq. This was on 20 psi

I had a ported eaton with 2.76 upper and 4 lb lower. It was snappy but no more than my whipple setup.

I want a 2.9. But it won't be on 20 psi. 22-24 is what it will see.

Anyone want to trade their 2.9?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
127 mph on the eaton is really moving. I'm not much of a drag racer so no slicks or driver mod just me with some drag radials and I ran 124 mph with a 50 shot of spray. That was on a ported eaton with 2.76 and stock lower.

beaterbike

Established Member
just a question , if a twin screw takes less power to turn than a roots style where does the line cross ? ie what size twin screw at say 17 pounds takes as much horsepower to turn as a factory eaton at 17 pounds ?

Det.Bullitt

Banned
I just installed a 2.8h KB on my car. I had a ported steigmier stage 6 eaton. I can tell you that the difference is night and day. I am running a very conservative set up but I now do not feel like my car is working as hard to spin the supercharger. Kenne Bell even advertises that it takes less to spin the 2.8h. I am running between 17 and 18 lbs of boost. I was running 18 lbs of boost in the Eaton and I felt like the engine was working too hard to get the power I wanted. I also noticed the power was less consistant compared to the heat soak crazy Eaton! When I build my motor up I am going to turn the boost up to about 22 pounds of boost. Should be over 725 hp at that point. I went ahead and purchased my 2.8h so I will have more room to grow. I see so many guys on here that keep upgrading and upgrading. I went ahead and saved up for what I was really looking for.

Last edited:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Buying a twin screw and running below 20 psi is a complete waste.

My little 2.3 just made 699 rwhp and 669 rwtq. This was on 20 psi

I had a ported eaton with 2.76 upper and 4 lb lower. It was snappy but no more than my whipple setup.

I want a 2.9. But it won't be on 20 psi. 22-24 is what it will see.

Anyone want to trade their 2.9?

699Whp on a 2.3 whipple at 20psi ? Im sure with e85 , and some nice cams :) :coolman:

03kevo

Established Member
My tuner lend me his 2.3 whipple which i finished instaling today. Getting tuned tomorrow for kill mode with just the lowest upper you can put on the 2.3. If i like how the car feels, getting a 2.3L TVS.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
IMO the 2.3 whipple or TVS @20psi w/stock longblock is a great combination.... with an edge to the TVS for the additional torque throwout the power curve. I dont see many threads with the above combination having too many issues as long as timing is kept in check.

granted moving to 2.8/2.9 or bigger might deliver a high hp, but to me for a street car, the 2.3 seems just about right.....hitting tens, and driving home...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread