2.8 Kennebell and 2.9 whipple are dogs....

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I seriously disagree. There's no way spinning my whipple over is such a chore it's dogging my motor till 4000+ rpms. It's not like I'm spinning a giant dyno drum under the hood.

It takes more power plain and simple to spin a larger compressor.
Case in point. Top Fuel blowers take aprox 500HP to spin.....do you think it takes 500HP to spin your 2.3 whipple at the desired boost level? Your 2.3 definitely takes more than eaton ..........so whats to question here?

All About Superchargers

03kevo

Established Member
For those asking about why big blower and not spin it hard. I was going with the assumption/after reading here for a while, I could get the awesomeness of the eaton and still enjoy the efficiency of a bigger blower with the 2.9 ie low ait2s etc.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Maybe if you actually threw some real gears in the car it would feel better lol.. The cars need atleast 3.73's

Actually after researching for 2 years I'm a fan of 3.73's or the stockers on these cars with the smaller blowers. On my car I've had a 2.3 Whipple at 17lbs, 19lbs, and 22lbs. Then a ported Eaton with every combo imagineable. I've also had 3.55's, 3.90's, 4,10's, and now 3.73's in that order. My car now has a built engine in it and I went back closer to the stock gearing for a reason. These things make awesome and useable torque if you give them the chance to shine. If you set the car and the engine up to take advantage and build off the platform Ford SVT gave us then these cars will fly.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
For those asking about why big blower and not spin it hard. I was going with the assumption/after reading here for a while, I could get the awesomeness of the eaton and still enjoy the efficiency of a bigger blower with the 2.9 ie low ait2s etc.

Your Tuner could be to conservative down low in the rpm's also with the timing. Might be something worth checking into at your boost level the timing could be raised higher than most other Twin Screws at higher boost levels. Sometimes Tuners just don't take the time and do "custom" tunes on every vehicle.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Listen to the experience son, you might learn something.

Never said I'm not listening. I said that theory is ridiculous... son.

It takes more power plain and simple to spin a larger compressor.
Case in point. Top Fuel blowers take aprox 500HP to spin.....do you think it takes 500HP to spin your 2.3 whipple at the desired boost level? Your 2.3 definitely takes more than eaton ..........so whats to question here?

Nobody doubts there is more parasitic drag on the motor from a larger blower. So yes it'll take more HP to spin it over. However your theory that turning over the larger blower (IE the whipple) is what's causing the car to be doggy in the lower RPMs is what I'm saying is wrong.

If that were true then adding a 4lb lower and a smaller upper pulley would just compound the problem because now your motor is forced to turn over the blower even harder in the lower RPMs and should dog it even more. However it does not. In fact quite the opposite happens, the motor really wakes up in the lower RPMS. Hummm how can this be possible? because by your theory the motor should be dogging even more now as it's just been over labored even more.

How about could it possibly be a twin screw is not as efficient in the lower RPMs as a roots blower? nahhh that would just make to much sense :bored:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Never said I'm not listening. I said that theory is ridiculous... son.

Nobody doubts there is more parasitic drag on the motor from a larger blower. So yes it'll take more HP to spin it over. However your theory that turning over the larger blower (IE the whipple) is what's causing the car to be doggy in the lower RPMs is what I'm saying is wrong.

If that were true then adding a 4lb lower and a smaller upper pulley would just compound the problem because now your motor is forced to turn over the blower even harder in the lower RPMs and should dog it even more. However it does not. In fact quite the opposite happens, the motor really wakes up in the lower RPMS. Hummm how can this be possible? because by your theory the motor should be dogging even more now as it's just been over labored even more.

How about could it possibly be a twin screw is not as efficient in the lower RPMs as a roots blower? nahhh that would just make to much sense :bored:

Im not sure what to tell you bud or what your trying to get at here? Its a larger compressor demanding more load.

Every single person in this thread has reported similar results when swapping to a bigger blower at any/all boost levels. Again, what is there to de-mystify here?

To clarify my original statement I never said anything was "doggy" under 4k like a big framed turbo, I just said it wasnt as snappy which is what everyone in this thread has reported, and you will also find in subsequent threads all over this forum saying the same. If your trying to argue a car is gutless under 4k then I will agree they arent, just not as snappy.

I could be off topic here also.....

Take this into account as well. Larger blowers have contributed to crank failures, twisted crank snouts etc...they simply demand more load to drive at "X" blower rpm. This is a torsional load, and also a lateral load. Yes this load increases with RPM/varying pulley sizes. Same theory as a steep gear on a bike. How many snapped crank snouts have you seen with eatons? Examine some LARGE blower combo's on X275 cars and Fuel Cars and their respective crank features, keyed, studded, beefed up snouts, load dispersion methods, big cogged wide belts etc... and it will become evident it has something to do with load on the crank and how much power it takes to spin. The "theory" applies across the board.

Bottom line, nothing more, nothing less, larger compressors take more crank HP to drive at their respective boost and blower rpm levels. If your not driving the blower effectively the payoff will be less. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a low boost bigger blower combo, I just there is more tactful ways to make use of the blower.

Maybe what your looking for is a blower comparison between the respective brands and boost characterics..maybe start a thread comparing compressors?

No my KB isnt gutless below 4k, but I stand by my claim its not as "snappy" as my Eaton was...

38b665dd.jpg

Last edited:

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
hence the success of the TVS, great low end pwr like the eaton, and the high end like a twin screw...

LETHAL03COBRA

Established Member
Installed a Whipple 3.4l on my dads lightning. Same issue, didn't seem to pull as strong on the bottom as the ported eaton. He was on low boost w/the whipple and tuner told him the same thing...need to turn up the boost!!! The other issue I noticed was the Whipple seemed a lot heavier than the Eaton. Not sure of the difference in weight, but adding weight on the front of a Lightning or Cobra is never a good idea. Maybe Senkak or someone else can chime in on the weight difference.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Installed a Whipple 3.4l on my dads lightning. Same issue, didn't seem to pull as strong on the bottom as the ported eaton. He was on low boost w/the whipple and tuner told him the same thing...need to turn up the boost!!! The other issue I noticed was the Whipple seemed a lot heavier than the Eaton. Not sure of the difference in weight, but adding weight on the front of a Lightning or Cobra is never a good idea. Maybe Senkak or someone else can chime in on the weight difference.

Jay(Blown04SVT) replaced his 2.9 Crusher with a VMP TVS 2.3
I believe the TVS was ~40lbs lighter.
Need to check old threads to be exact.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
This thread makes me chuckle. Snappier will not be there at 14 lbs no way no how. As broke and many have stated larger blowers need to be spun to take real adavantage of what they offer. Depending on the tuners timing choice in the lower range has an effect as well. But do your self a favor throw some man fuel in it and crank that boost up. Hate to see you lose to a little old eaton car lol!

stangfreak

Established Member
I mean this topic has been beaten to death for years. I have owned this car since 03 and had so many different combo's and been around it for a long time. I still don't understand why you guys purchase a huge blower and run 14lbs of boost.

I have seen it time and time again where a low boosted twinscrew is side by side with a 17-18psi ported eaton cobra. The peak numbers you get on 14lbs of boost on a 2.9 mean nothing.

From venomous03cobra, broke7, sambandit, to myself and the other "OG" cobra owners. Do the research. Look at the info that was posted with dyno charts, power under the curve etc.

A 2.3 whipple for it to feel snappy like a eaton, you need to run at least 18lbs. I ran 19lbs on pump gas for years and the car was strong.

I now have a 2.9 whipple running 23lbs of boost and the car is even more violent and will literally snap your neck into the back seat. The throttle is just stupid. Just looking at it the wrong way, the car starts to get freakin angry.

I had a 2.2 kb. I had a 2.4 kenne bell. 15lbs of boost. For me, it was junk. My ported eaton making 510rwhp 550rwtq would have been right beside my 2.4 at 15lbs.

Big blower, big boost. Thats it. If you want to play around with 14-15lbs save your money, keep the ported eaton and throw a 75 shot or a 100 shot on it and call it a day.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
This thread makes me chuckle. Snappier will not be there at 14 lbs no way no how. As broke and many have stated larger blowers need to be spun to take real adavantage of what they offer. Depending on the tuners timing choice in the lower range has an effect as well. But do your self a favor throw some man fuel in it and crank that boost up. Hate to see you lose to a little old eaton car lol!

ding ding!!! I have seen first hand over and over these past 9 years a low boosted twinscrew stay neck and neck with a upper lower ported eaton cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread