Would you buy a terminator for your son?

Cobraluver

Established Member
Im 19, almost 20

Parents bought me my 99 V6 at 15
At 17 i sold it and with their help plus my earnings i bought an 05 GT
Sold that in January at 19, bought my 88 5.0
Then traded that for my 04 Cobra.

I believe you gain respect for the car by starting slow and building

+1 I started with a v6 when i was 15. then i bought a gt when i was 17,sold that and bought a 99 "terminated" cobra with 500rwhp. Ive been into cars from very young & have matured pretty fast. Now im 18 & I baby this car. I bearly ripp on it like any teenage would do & i always obey the rules. Most of the time:D
FYI: i bought these cars with my own hard earn money. Given the fact i have been saving up since i was 12.

jbs$

Established Member
In a word, NO! Let him grow up a bit with out the peer pressure of driving this hot of a car. You will regret it every day if you do.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If he's a problem for you and you would simply like him removed from the gene pool as soon as possible.... SURE!

:rollseyes

Not if you would like to see him get old however.

Work up to it.

In Idaho a v6 manual transmission Mustang driven through the winter will allow him to develop critical car control skills, that later on will be absolutely essential in order to control a much higher powered version of a very similar car.

Don't skip the training. Winter driving a rear drive vehicle of similar weight can be incredibly instructive. Southern boys don't often get a chance to practice catching sliding cars much. The catch skills are the same, however sliding a high powered car on asphalt means you are going way faster with a much narrower catch window.

And that carries a whole lot more risk.

Det.Bullitt

Banned
southern boys

If he's a problem for you and you would simply like him removed from the gene pool as soon as possible.... SURE!

:rollseyes

Not if you would like to see him get old however.

Work up to it.

In Idaho a v6 manual transmission Mustang driven through the winter will allow him to develop critical car control skills, that later on will be absolutely essential in order to control a much higher powered version of a very similar car.

Don't skip the training. Winter driving a rear drive vehicle of similar weight can be incredibly instructive. Southern boys don't often get a chance to practice catching sliding cars much. The catch skills are the same, however sliding a high powered car on asphalt means you are going way faster with a much narrower catch window.

And that carries a whole lot more risk.

wait a minute....Have you ever watched the Dukes of Hazzard? We do plenty of slides with a big ole V8 in the front. In the south we do it in the mud and red clay instead of the ice. Lol.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
wait a minute....Have you ever watched the Dukes of Hazzard? We do plenty of slides with a big ole V8 in the front. In the south we do it in the mud and red clay instead of the ice. Lol.

Very true! Gravel covered logging roads, dirt and clay etc will do the same thing, however the speeds for sliding and catching will be higher than icy snowy roads, so the driver will need to be a little further along in order to stay out of the ditches and trees.:beer::rockon:

My cousin taught my how to drive stick at 12 years old. On a dirt road in the Adirondack mountains near Keene NY.

It was in his brand new 1964/65 Mustang fastback 200 6 cylinder 4 speed, nice guy huh?!!:rockon::beer:

Det.Bullitt

Banned
Very true! Gravel covered logging roads, dirt and clay etc will do the same thing, however the speeds for sliding and catching will be higher than icy snowy roads, so the driver will need to be a little further along in order to stay out of the ditches and trees.:beer::rockon:

My cousin taught my how to drive stick at 12 years old. On a dirt road in the Adirondack mountains near Keene NY.

It was in his brand new 1964/65 Mustang fastback 200 6 cylinder 4 speed, nice guy huh?!!:rockon::beer:

Back in its day those little 6cyl Mustangs were actually pretty quick and fun.

mrose75

Established Member
My son is only 8, but if he's anything like his old man, he'll be a flaming idiot at 16. So the answer is no. I just pray I raise him up smarter than me.

perry2k12

Established Member
I was 17 when my parents bought my 1995 cobra for me. I've always had a job and works as much as possible outside of school. Sold the cobra and I got a loan for my terminator. It was stock when I bought it, and it's getting tuned on the 2.9 this weekend, I'm 19 years old now. Accident free. Totally depends on maturity level.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I probably would. My dad helped me with the down payment and cosigning when I was 18, and its been 5 years next month with not a single accident or ticket (minus no front plates). It would really be situational on how mature my son was. I've always been slightly more mature/reaponsible for my age. If that hadnt had been the case I can only imagine how bad things would have gotten. You wouldnt believe how many times in hs random people I barely knew would call me asking to bring my car out to the boonies to run others. Always said no and out of every single car person I know from hs, im the only one who still has their car, or has never wrecked it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Ace5Oh

Established Member
Never would I buy my kids a car at this power level. I started off with my dads old fox. I saved up money and bought my cobra at 22. I appreciate it more.

03cobraFL

Established Member
Im 19, almost 20

Parents bought me my 99 V6 at 15
At 17 i sold it and with their help plus my earnings i bought an 05 GT
Sold that in January at 19, bought my 88 5.0
Then traded that for my 04 Cobra.

I believe you gain respect for the car by starting slow and building

This!

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
No.

Won't say any names, but a 15year old kid over on ModdedMustangs got a 2001 Cobra as his first car and ended up running into a mailbox while trying to show off to a friend.

So only imagine if that kid had another 100+rwhp

Lolololol

Being 17, I know what kids my age do. I would trust myself, just because I know what they can do and how fast shit can happen. I was scared to floor my GT through every gear for a while, then when I did, it felt slow lol.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I agree starting alow. If I never had my 03 v6 I would never have properly learned the responcibilities of having and driving a car. A terminator as a teenager? Sure. As a first car? Hell no

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
No way.... start him off in a 2v gt or old 5.0 mustang. I started off in a fox body and drove like a dummy showing off for friends and girls. A 14 sec car isn't going to get you in trouble it will spin tires from a stop ans that's about it. Toss some good all season tires on it and let him beat around in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

jmonday

Established Member
I really hope this is a rhetorical question. My opinion is a male that age will never respect any vehicle unless it was his hard work to aquire such a vehicle. And a high valued one at that.

Sent from phone.
-JMonday

Users who are viewing this thread