Would you buy a terminator for your son?

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I'm 20 and I can tell you that when/if I have kids, I am buying a very slow car for them. Only because I know the type of stuff I did with with a 220hp car as my first car. That was an older Audi a4 3.0 so it had AWD. Can't imagine the type of dumb shit I would have done with double the power, and no AWD saving my ass.

Plus there is the factor that it is being bought for him. You can't appreciate and respect something you don't own, especially when you are 16.

FATlaws

Established Member
I'm 21 now and I've had mine since I was 17, no tickets, no accidents. Depends on the person, I would let my kid have one but if they did anything stupid, I would change the plate on the car to FDGPCKR and tell them they can drive it if they won't but that I wouldn't with that on my license plate.

Team Paulie

Established Member
I'm 21 now and I've had mine since I was 17, no tickets, no accidents. Depends on the person, I would let my kid have one but if they did anything stupid, I would change the plate on the car to FDGPCKR and tell them they can drive it if they won't but that I wouldn't with that on my license plate.

This is gonna be good.....

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Nope, started with a 96 GT, then a 97 Cobra, then supercharged it, then the real deal.

WOW, this sounds EXACTLY like me, haha. I had a 96 GT, 97 Cobra Vert, supercharged it, fried all the pistons on the driver's side, 01 TT Cobra (real deal @ 500+hp with stalled auto). And then so on with the cars in the sig until I got to my current Terminator. :beer:

To answer the question of the OP, I had a 97 Kia Sephia as my first car at 16 and would not of trusted myself with an 03/04 Cobra. At all.

Team Paulie

Established Member
My first on road vehicle was a 1982 chevy short bed truck,talk about a tank,then a 1995 std cab long bed 1500 W/T,beat the living hell out of that truck,still going to this day,then a 1985 Z-28 mullet rocket,then a few bikes and another 1996 GMC truck.

MysticRob

Established Member
No way I'd buy any kid a Terminator or other performance car. Way too easy to kill yourself if you don't know what you're doing. I had a 67 Camaro with a slightly built 327 and THM350 auto tranny in it at that age, and it didn't handle or stop for shit, and I got quite a few sphincter-puckering moments in that thing. At least a Terminator handles and stops better, but that doesn't help when you have 400hp to tame.

gabe1530

Banned
Depends on the background of the kid. I grew up racing go-carts, dirt-bikes, quads, etc.

If the kid isn't use to fast things, then no. But if he is, and respects the power..I don't see any problem with it.

I agree with this.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Amazing, you're 21 and that immature.

Marc

Established Member
Probably not a terminator.

But, I have a 93 5.0 Notch my son and I are building together right now. He will be driving in just over a year. He has been raised around cars since he was in diapers. I am trying to instill the "responsibility" of driving ANY car. They are basically loaded weapons in the wrong hands of someone that is not responsible. His car will be <300HP when done. I think that is plenty quick for a teenager. He knows the rules. And if he breaks them, he better get used to riding that big long yellow bus to school that comes by are house every single day.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
My first car at 16 was a cobra.... But a 94 with a whopping 240 crank hp and I thought it was the fastest thing on the road. I don't care how mature a 16 year old is, with a car with 390 Hp they will still be tempted to go fast and peer pressure will play a factor as well. your friends yell "do a burnout" or better yet, a cute girl asks for a ride and the next thing ya know he's in cuffs.

4601S/C

Established Member
I don't have kids, but I'd say no way. He can have a 95-98 GT and be happy.

AdamSVT

Established Member
I wouldn't. Maybe for his second car...I grew up with fast cars in my family and other toys like motocross/dirtbikes which helped me respect the power more. I think it depends on the kid too. I had my first 03 at 17 almost 18 but I paid for it myself and got a small loan...I think another factor is when the kid pays for the car himself he gains more respect for the vehicle rather than if his daddy bought it for him...just my .02 cents

TERMINATED97

Established Member
I'm 27 with no kids. My family including and I were just talking about how 16 is way too young to even have a license. However I think if I had a 16 year old son who worked during summers, had thousands saved and was mature enough and just needed a cosigner I think I'd be willing to do that. But to just go out and buy a 16yr old that kind of a car is not a good choice IMO.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
I grew up with fast cars in my family and other toys like motocross/dirtbikes which helped me respect the power more.

+1 to this. I actually learned how to drive stick on a brand new 03 zo6 and I didn't even have my permit yet. A few months before I got my license I had enough saved and bought my first mustang, a 92 5.0. Bought it cash and had my dad drive it home from the seller's house. I was always around faster cars so I knew what they were capable of. You always have those idiots who just get in a car and floor it thinking they know what the hell they're doing.

03SonicBlur

Established Member
:nonono: I am 24 now but when I was 16 I had at '96 V6, couldn't imagine what would of happen if I received a 03/04 cobra. The kid want give a damn because its just being given to him. Making payments on your own car changes a lot of things.

Last edited:

Two 5.0s

Established Member
Oh h*ll no! As others have said, he needs to learn to drive and respect something slow before he moves up to something like a Terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread