Would you buy a terminator for your son?

Aubz

Established Member
My parents helped me with my 03 gt when i was 17. Then i sold that for my cobra when i was 18. It would all depend on the kid. I work my ass off for mine, being as i'm only 19, it's my biggest bill right now. If I was in you're shoes, first off i would never sell my cobra. And second, i probably would not sell it to a kid. Even if the kid was respectful and all, I would just think about him destroying it. Bottom line imo, don't sell you're cobra.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
x1000 on working your way up to one.

my first car was a 90 gt auto learned alot from that car especially in mechanics, switched to a 5spd and took really good care of it.

picked up a 03 gt it was mint and taught myself about modulars and how they ran/drove compared to the old 5.0

sold it and now i have a 04 cobra,the research and information to know on these cars is more than the two previous cars combined.

HOWEVER i grew up with a few friends who i would have sold one to, very responsible and mature for their age and very respectful to what they own.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
My parents helped me with my 03 gt when i was 17. Then i sold that for my cobra when i was 18. It would all depend on the kid. I work my ass off for mine, being as i'm only 19, it's my biggest bill right now. If I was in you're shoes, first off i would never sell my cobra. And second, i probably would not sell it to a kid. Even if the kid was respectful and all, I would just think about him destroying it. Bottom line imo, don't sell you're cobra.

My son is 6 weeks old and I plan on separating from active duty in September to go to school. Selling my terminator just makes sense right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Gravik

Established Member
No.

Won't say any names, but a 15year old kid over on ModdedMustangs got a 2001 Cobra as his first car and ended up running into a mailbox while trying to show off to a friend.

So only imagine if that kid had another 100+rwhp

Last edited:

VictorySong

Established Member
I've had mine since I was 16. No tickets or accidents yet. If your worried about stupid decisions fueled by peer pressure than you've raised a weak minded fool and a car wreck will be the least of your worries.

ETA: I'd sell to anyone with the money btw.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
A guy actually came and looked at mine on Sunday with his 16 year old son. I couldn't believe it when he told me he was thinking about buying it for his son. I said you don't know much about the 03-04 Cobra do you? He agreed he didn't. You would have to be an idiot to buy your 16 year old son a 500 hp convertible for his first car.

vr4

Established Member
Not a chance.

My first car was an iron Duke s10. Bought my first 3000gt at 18. 300hp, 3800lbs, and awd. If i had that car at 16....bad things would have happened.

hotcobra03

Established Member
take the father for a fun ride...bet they would think twice on a beater

i let my 17 yr old son take ours,,but put the fear of god into him,,if my phone was to ring along with a ride that scared him enough to not play

b_dike

Established Member
Absolutely NOT!!! I know the way I was when I was that age, so I could only figure that my son will be the same way. Didn't even matter if my car was fast or not. I always wanted to see how far I could push the limits of the car. Started out in an 89 Tracer, then to a 94 Tempo, before I finally got my first "fast" car... 91 T-Bird SC... I think it was this progression that taught me how to drive and handle a car properly.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It really depends on the kid IMO maturity has more to do with it than age. I was 17 when me and my dad finished our project capri. Started as a 306 with HCI and made 330 RWHP on a mustang dyno. Ran low 13's (which was something in 2001 LOL) and I Got to drive it all the time by myself. Had a Stock LX 5.0 @ 19 when I could afford it. Got my cobra when I was 22 and was making 570+ RWHP with the whipple when I was 23. Still have the capri to this day (got it off my dad) and it is making 660/721 with a 78mm and a Dart 363. I can drive it better than my cobra since I have had so much seat time LOL

My dad had a 327 '65 corvette when he was 19 and taught me to respect power very early on.

I will buy my kid something fast"ish" when he is ready and if he has the passion like me. I will make sure it is something he loves and respects and not just a "cool car" to show off with to his friends. But I will also make sure he can handle it before letting him out on his own with it. Just like my dad did with me.

BladeX10

Established Member
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no. I was 18 when i got my 1998 Camaro z28 and i almost crashed it into a pole 20 mins after i got it. A 16 year old with a 450rwhp cobra is a death wish. I wouldnt even sell it to a kid under the age of 18 even if they where dead serious on buying it. Im not going to have that on my hands like the guy that sold his torch red cobra to the kid that showed off and killed himself and another in the other car in a head on collision.

Last edited:

Mogwai

Likes rear
Established Member
I'm learning on my/parents Marquis, and even that has a bit much in power.
I think kids my age shouldn't be put in fast cars like that, they all end up wreckin' the poor car. just my two cents.
I wouldn't let my parents buy me a vehicle, I don't want to be spoiled like that. (but I will buy the marquis from them)

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Depends on the Kid, some 16 or 17 year olds could handle it just fine. Apparently from what I have seen on this site some 20-30 year olds cant handle the power of the cars either. Ideally you want your kid to learn to drive on something with less power and that has a bit more forgiveness.

G04cobra

Established Member
Nope...I'd have my son go through the food chain of power:
4 Cyl< 6 Cyl< 2V V8< 4V V8

By the time he gets to the 4V V8 stage he can buy his own:thumbsup:

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Im 19, almost 20

Parents bought me my 99 V6 at 15
At 17 i sold it and with their help plus my earnings i bought an 05 GT
Sold that in January at 19, bought my 88 5.0
Then traded that for my 04 Cobra.

I believe you gain respect for the car by starting slow and building

I agree. I started off with a 2004 mustang v6 at 16. Traded it in for a 2003 mustang gt at 19. Got into diesels for a few years and now at 24 I bought my dream car a 2003 cobra. If I had a cobra when I was 16-19, I'd be dead.

Users who are viewing this thread