Why is everyone selling..

scrmngyellow

Established Member
I think one of the largest segments selling these cars are retired, fixed income folks. Most of the people that bought these cars new were middle aged men who are now at or close to retirement age. With inflation where it's at, I wouldn't doubt there is quite a few that are selling their cars to help pad their nest egg. The cars are getting older, they are starting to require maintenance, they were tough to drive if you are not able bodied compared to newer cars. I think the older generation are looking for something more comfortable, and putting their race car days behind them. That only leaves a few generations of folks to buy these though, as most 25 and younger did not grow up with these, so they don't have the desire to buy them like those in their 30s and 40s. They want the newer cars from their high school years. So you have a smaller buying market, mix that with an economy that has the average consumer struggling to buy groceries. That in turn hurts the value of anything not considered necessary. My personal opinion, they will fall in price for 5 years or so, then you will see prime examples rolling across barrett Jackson like old boss 302s. The high mileage cars during the recession will turn into parts cars, the mid mileage ones will turn into high mileage cars, and the low mileage examples will start to get fewer and far between, and turn into the next great collector car.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I think one of the largest segments selling these cars are retired, fixed income folks. Most of the people that bought these cars new were middle aged men who are now at or close to retirement age. With inflation where it's at, I wouldn't doubt there is quite a few that are selling their cars to help pad their nest egg. The cars are getting older, they are starting to require maintenance, they were tough to drive if you are not able bodied compared to newer cars. I think the older generation are looking for something more comfortable, and putting their race car days behind them. That only leaves a few generations of folks to buy these though, as most 25 and younger did not grow up with these, so they don't have the desire to buy them like those in their 30s and 40s. They want the newer cars from their high school years. So you have a smaller buying market, mix that with an economy that has the average consumer struggling to buy groceries. That in turn hurts the value of anything not considered necessary. My personal opinion, they will fall in price for 5 years or so, then you will see prime examples rolling across barrett Jackson like old boss 302s. The high mileage cars during the recession will turn into parts cars, the mid mileage ones will turn into high mileage cars, and the low mileage examples will start to get fewer and far between, and turn into the next great collector car.
I know two people in my area that sold to move on to GT350s.

scrmngyellow

Established Member
I know two people in my area that sold to move on to GT350s.
I do like the sound of the gt350! The darn 5.0s are everywhere now, too! Check this out now:

You can now get a ford installed supercharger for your f-150 that makes 705 horsepower. I mean, come on! Even trucks are getting stupid fast! Imagine buying a 5.0 pickup and blowing the doors off your cobra?

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I do like the sound of the gt350! The darn 5.0s are everywhere now, too! Check this out now:

You can now get a ford installed supercharger for your f-150 that makes 705 horsepower. I mean, come on! Even trucks are getting stupid fast! Imagine buying a 5.0 pickup and blowing the doors off your cobra?

I am at the point that I am thinking of picking up dirt cheap 2012 or 2013 5.0, throw on a supercharger and some basic suspension and have a stupid fast car for cheap.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That’s why I bought one I didn’t mind putting miles on, and things happening to it.
I'm a mix. My car was high mileage when I bought it. 99% of the people here would've passed on it. But it had all the bolt ons I wanted and it was the only coupe for sale at that time. I do worry about things happening. Hell, I got rear ended a month after I bought it. But the worry doesn't stop me from enjoying it.

Once it gets painted I might be singing a different tune though.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I find it hard to believe they will fall in price for the next 5 years but what you said makes sense.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I don't plan on selling mine. For the past couple of years I keep telling myself off and on that I should sell it b/c I don't drive it much anymore (the last time I had those thoughts was 2011/2012 when I was bored with it. I did the logical thing and added more power.) Other hobbies get in the way at times and I have kids now so it makes it a little more difficult for this hobby. But every time I drive it I say no way to selling. I'll never find another one like this. I'm the 2nd owner since 2008. First owner didn't abuse it and neither have I. I've seen too many sad stories on here of people regretting their sale and I know I'll regret mine as long as I'm able bodied enough to push that clutch pedal.

Last edited:

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I saw this one a month ago. I think he was asking 55k but I guess it didn’t sell. It would be interesting to see what it goes for. Blast from the past:

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I saw this one a month ago. I think he was asking 55k but I guess it didn’t sell. It would be interesting to see what it goes for. Blast from the past:
Didn't meet the reserve, was bid to 40K, I think that is telling about prices, a 3700 mile 10 anniversary car that looks very pristine only garnered 40K. guys with higher milage/modded cars are going to either have to keep them or adjust their pricing

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Drove the 350 then the cobra yesterday. I forgot how notchy the shifting is in the cobra compared to the 350. Night and day, but still enjoyed driving it.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Definitely not like newer cars but isn't that part of the fun?

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Didn't meet the reserve, was bid to 40K, I think that is telling about prices, a 3700 mile 10 anniversary car that looks very pristine only garnered 40K. guys with higher milage/modded cars are going to either have to keep them or adjust their pricing
Definitely! Still a good number for a 20year old car but this bone stock 10th anniversary coupe and the 6k mile Mystichrome on BAT show the terminator market has dropped from where it was at 1.5years ago.

Yeah I see a lot out there in the various classifieds $35k+ that sit. Some are just ridiculous prices. Not sure where the market is headed on these.

robvas

Established Member
I have been having fun with mine so haven't even thought of selling it. But I'm sure I'd let it go if someone flashed $21,000 in my face

It's just...what do you buy to replace it?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have been having fun with mine so haven't even thought of selling it. But I'm sure I'd let it go if someone flashed $21,000 in my face

It's just...what do you buy to replace it?
That is always an issue, but there are lots of fun cars out there, I have been considering a tri5 Chevy for something different, I am at the point in my life that I don’t need to go a fast as I used to. A nice cruiser might be fun for awhile

Bamaterminator

Established Member
Facts. I enjoy my F100, Foxes, and Terminator enough that I have almost zero desire for anything new. The cars I look at to maybe snag up are almost exclusively 80’s or 90’s type shit like Grand Nationals, Foxes, IROCS, etc…. Idgaf they won’t hang with John Force in the quarter. As long as they’re cool enough to let me hang with this daughters
Aye men brother. Always someone faster, but not many cars are cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread