Whats normal for starting paid vacation leave?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First year is commonly one day of vacation for every two months worked.

Years two thru five, two weeks vacation.

Years five thru ten, three weeks vacation.

After year ten it's generally one month of vacation with other perks for more years of work.

At least it is common here in California.

But we have other days off. Someone dies, three to 30 days.

Wife has a baby. depending on the number of employees in your company it could only be three days or up to six weeks.

Sick parent or child ( really sick requiring hospitalization) time off can be nearly unlimited.

TMI? Don't hurt none.

This (which is pretty common).....

10 days is about par for the course. They gave you more money than you asked for, take it and be glad for it. Asking them to bump the amount of leave you get may not cost you the job but the ingratitude shown by doing so will be remembered down the road.

And this.....You're getting more money!! Would you rather have had less money and 5 more vacation days? You've been offered a nice package IMO.

Full heath benefits?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
What I would not take is a job that requires you to use vacation time as sick leave. The last company I worked for did this and it suck. My current job, I get 40 sick days per year. They can be used for personal, family sickness, temp disability, etc.

Agree, I hate hearing that from friends. It just encourages people to go to work sick, which gets everyone else sick.

I've heard of plenty of people getting VERY little PTO when they start entry level jobs, even with a college degree. Like you get paid shit, maybe $40k to start and get maybe a week of PTO, vacation and sick leave combined. Can't believe companies can find people to work for that, plus expect them to have a degree and experience in the field.

Steve1578

Established Member
10 days is pretty common. I work in the steel industry and got offered 88 hrs upon hire. I think you got a good deal, especially with being offered more than you asked.

Chaoticreign

Established Member
Normally I would say to negotiate it. But they came in over your asking salary so from their perspective you're already getting a good package.

Though I will go against the grain a little and say in a lot of the more employee-focused firms 2 weeks is actually slightly below what I'm used to seeing. My first entry level position out of college offered 3 weeks. The company I'm about to start with also starts at 3 weeks. The only one I've interviewed with that offered 2 was a family owned plastics company in a small town.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Everyone has already said it, but any leave at all is good for a new guy. I know lots of friends that have zero PTO, but they usually have generous LWOP policies.

Both my jobs are around 2 weeks paid vacation per year, plus 10-11 holidays, and generous flex hours and work from home policies.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We start off one week after the first year, then two weeks after the second.. After two years (being a small company) I'll give my employees off whenever, so long as their position is covered by someone else just as capable.. Now for me, I haven't had a full week off work in almost 10 years..
This.

Very similar to how I do it.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
me personally i would negotiate for an extra week. 2 weeks is good for college kids just graduating and getting their first job. Experienced working professionals should expect more. When you have wife, kids, family, church and other obligations 10 days isnt crap to stretch out over an entire year.

If you dont ask you could be stuck at 10 days for 2 or 3 yrs or more.

starnsey

Established Member
This is America goddammit *grumblegrumblegrumble* you should be happy you even have a job! *grumblegrumblegrumble* Vacation is for sissies! *grumblegrumblegrumble*

But yeah, 10-15 days a year starting is pretty much standard. I had 10 days starting at my last job (I think I had to work a year before I got it - I don't remember) but I got 15 days/year at my current company plus, essentially, "unlimited" sick days (obviously, if you're "sick" like twice a month, it'll probably get looked into) plus something like 7-9 holidays (MLK, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, day after thanksgiving, Dec24/25/31/Jan1st)

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
me personally i would negotiate for an extra week. 2 weeks is good for college kids just graduating and getting their first job. Experienced working professionals should expect more. When you have wife, kids, family, church and other obligations 10 days isnt crap to stretch out over an entire year.

If you dont ask you could be stuck at 10 days for 2 or 3 yrs or more.

Absolutely try and negotiate more. I've tried it the last several jobs and it actually surprised them. They were mostly like "uhhh, we've never tried that, but its a good idea!" In the end HR always kicked it back, but I did get more money.

Branhammer

Established Member
I think it's pretty standard. I'm an ANG technician (fed employee) and we start with 4 hours per pay period, which adds up to about 2.5 weeks. We also get 4 hours of sick leave per pay period on top of that. We increase to 6 hours after 3 years and 8 hours after 12 years.

The private sector varies so much that I think you got a pretty sweet offer.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'm a little shocked at the responses. 18 paid days leave each year is not enough? That's two days short of a full 4 weeks off. If you need more time than that take your days unpaid, which is exactly the same as getting less pay and more time off.

Or maybe start your own business where everyday you don't work you make no money, because things did not get done.

motoman991

Banned
Nothing like getting offered more than you want, then complaining about not getting enough paid days off and justifying it by saying that's what the tax payers paid you for. You're a new guy, be happy you're even getting paid time off, liberal.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
So I am transitioning out of the Army and moving into corporate America (oh goodie!). I was offered a well paying job as a entry level manager within a factory in the aerospace industry. The downside is they only offer 10 days paid vacation leave starting out. I believe it jumps to 15 days after 3-5 years.

Now given the fact that I am not negotiating salary or bonus (they came in above my asking price), is it appropriate to negotiate for an extra week of leave? Coming out of the Army, we get 30 days per year paid leave (no sick leave). I was their top candidate out of 5, so they have other options behind me although obviously not as good.

Im looking for advice because I dont want to mess up this opportunity. At the same time, 10 days seems pretty crappy even for starting out. Please give me advice/experiences.

I transitioned to the corp world after 21 yrs active duty AF in 2010. A couple of points for you to think about based on my own experiences.

1. Your not gonna see "30" days paid leave entry level anything. Maybe as a "C" level exec...

2. IT wouldn't hurt to try negotiating more vacation, but be prepared to give up some pay to get it.

3. Like you my offer was about 15% higher than I anticipated for the position based on research into the local area and my earned PTO (paid leave) came out to 80 hrs a year or two weeks. The first year of my job I only took 40hrs of PTO since I got all the regular holidays off without using it and I rolled the remainder over to the next calendar year. I also fill a critical position so I have to coordinate in advance any major time off anyway. At the end of the day, the earned PTO isnt that big of a deal that I thought it would be after enjoying 21ys of the 30 days of leave. You will find the corporate world alot more laid back compared to Active Duty and its easier to do things with out taking a month off.

4. Like others have said HR might just poopoo on any attempts to get more leave based on strict company policy, so be prepared to take it or leave it.

Good Luck and welcome to civilian life, its wonderful!

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Well I just got formal offer, they wouldnt budge on leave, but they upped salary and gave me sign on bonus in addition to yearly bonus. So Ill take what I can get. Looking forward to new opportunity and the new position. Thanks everyone for your input. Glad I asked about it, because it just made me some $.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Nothing like getting offered more than you want, then complaining about not getting enough paid days off and justifying it by saying that's what the tax payers paid you for. You're a new guy, be happy you're even getting paid time off, liberal.

Liberal? Not even close. But thanks for the invaluable input to my thread lol

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Ha, Thanks. Im actually leaving El Paso though after 2.5 years here. Back to ole Baltimore, MD where I'm from originally. And yeah my Wife is federal employee also, but she has option to work overtime and accumulate additional leave.

Good luck not getting killed in Bmore lol. I work in the Curtis Bay district...

Users who are viewing this thread