Whats normal for starting paid vacation leave?

Well done OP. You were their top candidate out of 5. And if your education and experience is coveted in your industry as you have led on then you should always be trying to obtain as much as possible. Expect good things to happen to you. The worst they could have done is say no and they proved how much they wanted you by the salary increase and additional bonuses.

only democrats expect not to work, and expect free shit. Welcome to America buddy.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news tonight, but some of the wealthiest people in the US are people who identify themselves as Democrats. Some of the most profitable US based multi-national corps and Wall St. firms that run the government are owned by people who aren't bashful about identifying themselves as Democrats. Even Mr. Facebook, the social media czar that has plenty of Republicans using his billion dollar idea, is a Democrat. lol

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
what blows? I am just stating the "usual" time off as per American working quota.

If you expect more than 1 week off after only 1 year of service, you deserve a stick up your asshole.
I am saying this as a business owner.

You must have shit employees or only employ minimum wage people. Nobody worth their salt in a professional environment would settle for 1 week paid vacation. If I interviewed with your company and that was the offer, I'd laugh my way out the door.

Without knowing your business, I hope that your 1 week paid vacation is at least comparable to other jobs in the same category. Otherwise you are losing out of valuable talent.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You must have shit employees or only employ minimum wage people. Nobody worth their salt in a professional environment would settle for 1 week paid vacation. If I interviewed with your company and that was the offer, I'd laugh my way out the door.

Without knowing your business, I hope that your 1 week paid vacation is at least comparable to other jobs in the same category. Otherwise you are losing out of valuable talent.
I feel like you black pedaled your attack in your second sentence post edit,

nxhappy

Established Member
Hate to be the bearer of bad news tonight, but some of the wealthiest people in the US are people who identify themselves as Democrats. Some of the most profitable US based multi-national corps and Wall St. firms that run the government are owned by people who aren't bashful about identifying themselves as Democrats. Even Mr. Facebook, the social media czar that has plenty of Republicans using his billion dollar idea, is a Democrat. lol

and Obama is a democrat. I bet you love that **********, don't you?

nxhappy

Established Member

I said one year of service = 1 year PTO. So WTF are you implying?

MOST jobs require 2-3 years of work before getting 2 weeks PTO. As most people on the board have already proved...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Most businesses do not want people who jump from job to job have no commitment to getting the work done and paying other people to do your job while they are still paying you. Until they know the type of worker you are they will not give you extra pay for you to take off.

But if you don't like that feel free to start your own company and give all your employees more than they want in salary and five weeks paying them to do nothing. I'm sure you will at least have tons of applicants.

nxhappy

Established Member
Most businesses do not want people who jump from job to job have no commitment to getting the work done and paying other people to do your job while they are still paying you. Until they know the type of worker you are they will not give you extra pay for you to take off.

But if you don't like that feel free to start your own company and give all your employees more than they want in salary and five weeks paying them to do nothing. I'm sure you will at least have tons of applicants.

well put.

Chaoticreign

Established Member

I don't know what everyone's experiences are here, or whether there are wild variances across different regions but this is rarely the case in what I would say is the majority of corporate offices.

I've worked in two major corporate HQ's and the starting rate was always 3 weeks vacation with more added after a few years service. I have friends in other companies that start even higher. There's even a trend in some firms to allow unlimited vacation time.

This 1 week or 2 week thing most people mention is below the norm now. Work/Life balance is a huge draw and it tends to help retain talent.

I get that no one wants lazy workers but the idea that wanting a strong vacation package makes you a poor worker is a bit of stretch.

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
I started my job a year ago. Got two weeks paid vacation up front, 10 sick days and 5 personal. Plus we get 16 paid days off thru out the year. When I got hired I negotiated for more salary even though what they offered was close to what I asked for. In the end I got 2k less then what I asked for but the overall package was well worth it. Always negotiate the worst they will say is no. They are not gonna pull the offer cause you tried. I was told never accept the first offer and that was coming from the head of HR for a major company.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
what blows? I am just stating the "usual" time off as per American working quota.

If you expect more than 1 week off after only 1 year of service, you deserve a stick up your asshole.

Thats fine, so long as you have a generous LWOP policy. I understand a company/owner not wanting to pay me for time off, but if I want off without pay they damn well better let me, and pay me well for my time IN the office.

Also, to a few others, i've never seen vacation up front. Most often its been after 30/60/90 days you begin accrual of xx hours per pay period. So its not like I can get a new job and take 2/3 weeks leave the first month. I only actually have that 2 weeks after being there a full year.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
only democrats expect not to work, and expect free shit. Welcome to America buddy.

There always has to be "that guy" that brings stupid, political BS in a non political thread. STFU. And just food for thought... Some of the top welfare recipient states are republican states. ;). Lazy people don't want to work, lazy people can be of any party, color, they all exist. Stop being an ignorant ****.

Blkss13

Established Member
I don't know what everyone's experiences are here, or whether there are wild variances across different regions but this is rarely the case in what I would say is the majority of corporate offices.

I've worked in two major corporate HQ's and the starting rate was always 3 weeks vacation with more added after a few years service. I have friends in other companies that start even higher. There's even a trend in some firms to allow unlimited vacation time.

This 1 week or 2 week thing most people mention is below the norm now. Work/Life balance is a huge draw and it tends to help retain talent.

I get that no one wants lazy workers but the idea that wanting a strong vacation package makes you a poor worker is a bit of stretch.

I agree, I have worked for some major corporate finance companies and I started around 3-4 weeks vacation. My current job is unlimited as long as you get you work done. I am in a good place. Congrats OP on your new job!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Nice dude. Negotiating anything is never going to get you denied the offer, they'll just say no.

Negotiating may and well get you denied the offer. I've seen it happen.

Unless you have great experience and education to back you up for being truly the best candidate for the position by far, good luck negotiating. Most will take it as an insult if its a really good deal already and move onto their backup candidate instead, who would likely take it without hesitation.

starnsey

Established Member

LOL. If every job I've ever had has allowed three weeks vacation plus personal days, and I know every other engineer in nearly every industry has at least two weeks vacation, plus holidays, plus personal time, you really expect me to take an offer with shittier benefits? Luckily, I'll likely always have the option to say "no" to companies that expect me to be their bitch constantly regardless of the quality of work.

Sorry for being such a "liberal", but when I'm on my death bed, I highly doubt I'm going to be saying "damn, I really wish I worked more and took less vacation".

Negotiating may and well get you denied the offer. I've seen it happen.

Unless you have great experience and education to back you up for being truly the best candidate for the position by far, good luck negotiating. Most will take it as an insult if its a really good deal already and move onto their backup candidate instead, who would likely take it without hesitation.

I don't doubt it can happen. Its probably completely dependent on industry, position and the way you communicate with the company. If you respond "NAH, I need more vacation" or "YO, that's not enough money man", then yeah, they'll probably move right along past you. If you've got any sort of power at all though, simply asking for something with a slight justification will very likely result in nothing more than "sorry, we can't do any better with this position".

For example, if someone dropped me as a candidate just because I asked about a relocation package or something, I wouldn't want to work for that company anyway.

That's what's funny about mindsets of business-owners like nxhappy - he seems to think employees should be ****ing grateful for even being allowed to breathe in his company's building. Sorry bro, employees get some pull too, and companies can lose good employees by being a shit employer.

But I guess expecting decent benefits for giving 40+ hours of my life away each week makes some of us "liberals" LOL

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I agree, I have worked for some major corporate finance companies and I started around 3-4 weeks vacation. My current job is unlimited as long as you get you work done. I am in a good place. Congrats OP on your new job!

So you have to get your work done while you're on vacation? That is not paid time off in my book.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
So you have to get your work done while you're on vacation? That is not paid time off in my book.

As long as your tasks are completed while at work, you dont have to be at work. Thats basically how my job works right now.

Users who are viewing this thread