Whats normal for starting paid vacation leave?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Liberal? Not even close. But thanks for the invaluable input to my thread lol
Your original post did seem like you were asking something for nothing. However it was based on the perceived differences you thought you saw.
As mentioned at first glance it looks like 10 to 30 is three times as much time but it's not. 10 is business days and 30 is total days. When adding the 10 days to the other 8 paid days off per year it's now 18 days that you are paid for doing nothing.
Or 2 days short of a full 4 weeks off every year. How does this compare to what your used to? 4 full week is 28 plus 2 more. Only a 4 day difference. It is less but 4 days less is not 20 days less like you thought it was.

And as one already said days off in the private sector is very different than leave from the military.
Good luck in your new career and Thanks for your Service!!

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Good luck not getting killed in Bmore lol. I work in the Curtis Bay district...

Lol, I have lots of experience at it, dont worry! My wife and I own a house downtown in Locust Point (next to Federal Hill). Thats not too far from Curtis Bay at all.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Lol, I have lots of experience at it, dont worry! My wife and I own a house downtown in Locust Point (next to Federal Hill). Thats not too far from Curtis Bay at all.

Oh, I know where Locust Point is. Nice!

I still make my way to Cross St. Market and Mother's every once and a while.

nxhappy

Established Member
um....that is MORE than normal.

Usually you won't get ANY paid time off until you reach your one year mark. Then on your year mark, you get a week paid, only 5 days. Then on your 2-3 year mark you get 10 days. 5 year mark you get 3 weeks.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

Usually you won't get ANY paid time off until you reach your one year mark. Then on your year mark, you get a week paid, only 5 days. Then on your 2-3 year mark you get 10 days. 5 year mark you get 3 weeks.

That is how my company works too...

10 years = 4 weeks
20 years = 5 weeks

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Thats pretty good starting out. Most employers I know its no vacation accrual the first year, then say 1 week for the next year, then two weeks for 3-5, and past 5 its 4 weeks.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Don't listen to most of the replies here. Ask for an additional week of vacation and don't flinch about it. Too many on this thread have a "bend over and take it" mentality towards salary/benefit negotiations. Always, always, always negotiate. That's the difference between an ambitious mentality and the also-rans...

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
It obviously depends on your position. At my company, PB and LPB (professional and lead professional band) start with 3 weeks. We used to only get 2 weeks a few years ago. I successfully negotiated a 3rd week upon accepting the job only to find out they would give everyone a third week about a year later.

Yes, ALWAYS negotiate. A higher wage in your expected salary range, or another week of vacation.

IcE

Established Member
I just started a new job a couple of months ago which gives you 5 weeks of paid vacation time a year. I guess after reading this thread I didn't realize how much that really is.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Don't listen to most of the replies here. Ask for an additional week of vacation and don't flinch about it. Too many on this thread have a "bend over and take it" mentality towards salary/benefit negotiations. Always, always, always negotiate. That's the difference between an ambitious mentality and the also-rans...

I appreciate the advice. And yes I agree, Im glad I tried to negotiate. Although I didnt get the leave, I did get more money to keep me happy.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
I just started a new job a couple of months ago which gives you 5 weeks of paid vacation time a year. I guess after reading this thread I didn't realize how much that really is.

Thats awesome. What do you do for a living?

starnsey

Established Member
Nothing like getting offered more than you want, then complaining about not getting enough paid days off and justifying it by saying that's what the tax payers paid you for. You're a new guy, be happy you're even getting paid time off, liberal.

picard-facepalm2.jpg

Well I just got formal offer, they wouldnt budge on leave, but they upped salary and gave me sign on bonus in addition to yearly bonus. So Ill take what I can get. Looking forward to new opportunity and the new position. Thanks everyone for your input. Glad I asked about it, because it just made me some $.

Nice dude. Negotiating anything is never going to get you denied the offer, they'll just say no. And as you've now experienced, it usually leads to at least something. Nice work and congratulations on the new job!

That blows...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

Don't listen to most replies here? Possible that most speak from some sort of experience?
Unless you are way way up in upper management the company I work for will not negotiate vacation.
Some have tried, all have failed.
They feel that their are many people lined up to take the job for what is offered.
When they make a offer it is very clear what the vacation and PTO policy is.

It starts at 2 weeks for hourly and non-exempt salary and 3 weeks for anything above that.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
OP - Been working for over 16 years and I'm 31. I worked before I "Legally" could with a corporation.

Most give 1 week vacation to start. I've been with my current company for 4 years and am maxed out at 3 weeks. This really depends on the company.

The military does provide benefits that small companies, even billion dollar company's cannot afford. Do you know how much it would cost to give the same benefits to tens of thousands of employees? They do nopt have federal funding, unfortunately.

What you were offered is very normal. Give it some time and work your way through the company and get some experience and tenure under your belt. This will give you more to negotiate with and eventually your time off will increase. Again, it varies between companies.

FWIW - I have not used a sick day in over 7 years, I've used less than my allotted vacation time for 2 years. Welcome to "corporate america" where you work more than you reap.

JerseyDevil

Established Member
Current job starts off with 15 vacation, 15 sick, 3 personal. All paid! Every 5 years you gain a few more vacation days. My last job which was a union diesel mechanic I started off with 5 days paid vacation a year and that's it.

nxhappy

Established Member
picard-facepalm2.jpg

Nice dude. Negotiating anything is never going to get you denied the offer, they'll just say no. And as you've now experienced, it usually leads to at least something. Nice work and congratulations on the new job!

That blows...

what blows? I am just stating the "usual" time off as per American working quota.

If you expect more than 1 week off after only 1 year of service, you deserve a stick up your asshole.
I am saying this as a business owner.

Users who are viewing this thread