Whats normal for starting paid vacation leave?

starnsey

Established Member
As long as your tasks are completed while at work, you dont have to be at work. Thats basically how my job works right now.

Which, IMO, makes perfect sense. "Oh, you've completed your project ahead of time and exceeded quality? You should probably sit around for another four hours twiddling your thumbs because we don't have anything else to give you right now."

starnsey

Established Member
Sounds like that position needs more duties then.....

Eh, slow times happen. But you can't just get rid of someone because you don't necessarily always know when things are going to kick back up.

Since I work in the oil industry, I nearly had nothing to do for two months or so recently. I was sort of on standby for a design project I'm working on so my boss didn't want me to get wrapped up in something else only to have to be pulled off of that thing because the first thing suddenly became an order or whatever. So I'd go to him every week and tell him I'm needing something to do - well he couldn't get me anything because then I wouldn't be ready to go if an order came through. Alright, well I guess I'll sit around and maybe dabble in some training stuff but otherwise, it was just a complete waste of two months. Nothing I could do about it. My morale was pretty much destroyed since I was so bored but luckily some work kicked up again and I was back in it. Shit just happens in certain work environments.

Blkss13

Established Member
So you have to get your work done while you're on vacation? That is not paid time off in my book.

No, you get your work done before you go on vacation not during. So if you are on top of things you technically don't have a vacation limit. I still keep it at around 4 weeks though since that was standard before the new vacation policy.

G04cobra

Established Member
I agree, I have worked for some major corporate finance companies and I started around 3-4 weeks vacation. My current job is unlimited as long as you get you work done. I am in a good place. Congrats OP on your new job!

This is a new trend with start ups. This does two things; The company does not accrue PTO so when you leave they don't owe you a check for unused PTO and chances are you'll take less time off.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Negotiating may and well get you denied the offer. I've seen it happen.

Yep, just happened to a finance director yesterday that I was interviewing.

I told him how I'd pay him, he counter offered, I told him I appreciate the offer but it wouldn't work. He again counter offered, I told him thanks for his time.

Poor guy called this morning and said he would do the original offer, but I already filled the position.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, just happened to a finance director yesterday that I was interviewing.

I told him how I'd pay him, he counter offered, I told him I appreciate the offer but it wouldn't work. He again counter offered, I told him thanks for his time.

Poor guy called this morning and said he would do the original offer, but I already filled the position.

Its all about how the interviewee approaches it too right? I.E., I always ask if there is any room for negotiation, sometimes they give me a flat "No, this is what we have". Other times I get something like "Well what are you thinking?", and I take it from there. Bad idea to get pushy with someone looking to hire you.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Its all about how the interviewee approaches it too right? I.E., I always ask if there is any room for negotiation, sometimes they give me a flat "No, this is what we have". Other times I get something like "Well what are you thinking?", and I take it from there. Bad idea to get pushy with someone looking to hire you.
Yep. He was very pushy. I liked him other than that.

If I thought he was pushy, I couldn't imagine how customers would feel.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
What it comes down to, paying your employee for their completed work.
50k for 50 weeks and 2 weeks off. 961.50 a week.
48k for 48 weeks and 4 weeks off. 923 a week.
40k for 40 weeks and 12 weeks off. 769 a week.

So which is better? Obviously time off does not mean a damn thing. What matters is pay for the time you do work.

But I'm sure those with 5 6 weeks vacation will claim more pay than their peers as well:beer:

Steve@Tasca

Ten days to start is a great deal, most of the auto industry is capped at 10 days now. That's all you get, ever. Commonly a week after a year and the 2nd week after five years or so.

I feel sorry for those coming into the workplace and being limited like this.

-Steve

ryans88gt

Established Member
Yes you can and should negotiate vacation time! 3 weeks is the minimum i would accept. I did negotiate vaca time for my current job and got an extra week.

Users who are viewing this thread