What Tow Rig Combination

7upstang

Established Member
At what point does towing with a loaded out F150 become a problem? Is it trailer length? Weight? A combination? I see guys tow these trailers with Lightnings and never seen one wrecked.

I have never towed a lot so I am new to all this.

I’d be towing every couple of weekends a month. Eventually I want to setup a car for competing in something like Limited Street. It will be a 2V so weight can be kept down. No wild setup, just something for fun. So I’d also, eventually, be hitting as many NMRA events as possible.

Keeping the current F150, I don’t even have 60k on it. I will eventually trade it in for a newer one for my wife but I don’t know when.

Sent from the Coronas Response Team.

Sounds like you're ready for a diesel truck then. Going any amount of distance towing qualifies for diesel. You'll be very thankful.

roadracer247

Established Member
F250/350 with a gas motor. I generally choose the simpler options in life. Diesels are higher maintenance & more expensive to maintain. Good luck with your decision.

C2tuck

Established Member
I always hear that diesels are more expensive but they’re really not bad. Oil changes every 10k miles (or in your case probably annually), filter every 5k miles and fuel every 10k.

Oil filters are 20 bucks on amazon and both fuel filters are around 50.

I don’t ever see myself going back to a gas truck. Like has been said...once you tow with a diesel you’ll be wondering why you didn’t sooner.

6.2’s are guuuutless. Damn thing won’t get out of its own way even empty. A company I worked for bought a bunch of them to save money and learned real quick that was a bad move. They soon went back to all diesels.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I doubt anyone would choose gas over diesel to tow. But the the $ creep in. On a 2020 Lariat the diesel is a $10,495 option, vs $1705 for the 7.3 godzilla.

C2tuck

Established Member
And you’ll get most of that $10k back when you’re ready to sell it down the road too... This topic has been debated to death for years, it boils down to how much the buyer wants to spend and how much they intend on towing. I like knowing I can hook up to anything and move it if I need to...bumper pull, gooseneck, 5th wheel, I’m not limited to the trailer I can buy. There are some really good deals popping up on the 19 SD’s. If and when ford pulls their heads out of their asses and discounts the 20’s I’ll probably grab one. It’s all preference.

Tylerc

Established Member
Buy a gas job. I used to haul a 20k trailer with a gas job one ton and it did the job fine. My new truck is a diesel but I honestly would rather have a gas job. People go wayyyy overboard for towing small things.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I've been towing my boat and car for decades. Last rig was a tuned and deleted 08 6.4 F250 and I used it for 5.5 years. I loved how it towed but hated how it rode without a load around town. Well since I tow like 15-20 times a year and then use the truck around town the rest of the time I went with a 3.5EB 16 F150 as a replacement. Couldn't be happier. These new 1/2 tons are worlds better towing and it's not just Ford. All the big 3 make better towing 1/2 tons now. I wouldn't go diesel unless I was pulling a gooseneck and or something over 8k-9k lbs.

The only thing is the front end is a little bit floaty compared to my F250 but that's the trade off. I love how much better it is everywhere else. Imma add helper bags in the back to fix that. My truck is stock pulls hills great. Not as good as my last rig but it isn't off by much.
Screenshot_20200425-111643~2.png

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Basics are:

F250 PS Diesel (4 door, either 6' or 8' bed)
24' Enclosed Trailer (you want the axles back as on a typical 24' trailer, less than 24' you get more sway)
Hitch - Load equalizing (people will say you don't NEED it, which is true. However the ride is much more stabilized)
Sway Control (people will say you don't NEED it, which is true. However the ride is much more stabilized)

Last item, make sure you know what your loaded tongue weight is. Once you get that right, mark the floor of the trailer like where the front tire is for the car you are carrying so the tongue weight is always a no brainer.

Enjoy!

IMG_9883 cropped small.JPG

E

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Buy a gas job. I used to haul a 20k trailer with a gas job one ton and it did the job fine. My new truck is a diesel but I honestly would rather have a gas job. People go wayyyy overboard for towing small things.

Hahahaha stop it already.

Says he hauls 20k with gas, but goes and buys a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I should have added some more information. Either way, both trucks would be new. Both Lariats, FX4, Max Tow, shortest bed available.

If I get the F150 it would get bags for leveling and weight distribution hitch.

If I get the F250 it will be a gooseneck.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
How would a whipple atop that 7.3 affect towing?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s a good analogy actually.

Towing 20k with a gas truck is like hunting brown grizzly bears with a .177 pellet gun.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Tylerc

Established Member
new gas jobs have more torque than diesel trucks in the 90s and early 2000s that towed wayyy more than 20k.

C2tuck

Established Member
Negative. As stated the company I worked for that went to gas...we towed 10-12k and they had ZERO torque. When I say it wouldn’t get out if it’s own way, it wouldn’t. Forget about ever passing a farmer on a 2-lane...not happening unless you have MILES of room to work with. Even empty they were horrible and these were 16 F-250’s with the 6.2.

john11gt

Established Member
Get a diesel. If maintenance and idling is a concern, get at older diesel pre emission. The only extra maintenance for me is a fuel filter every other oil change.

Whichever trailer you get, mount a winch on the front to load the car with. My notchback is low and the exhaust only clears with a 2x4 on the deck when loading. Having a winch on my trailer makes loading it a 1 person job and super easy.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Whichever trailer you get, mount a winch on the front to load the car with. My notchback is low and the exhaust only clears with a 2x4 on the deck when loading. Having a winch on my trailer makes loading it a 1 person job and super easy.

i've considering buying a car trailer to tow my cobra with my 4.6 f-150 (only occasionally and local - maybe to the track, for an emergency breakdown, tow to a shop, etc), and i think having a winch is probably one of the important features it can have.

what do you guys think about something like this to eliminate loading angle problems? way overkill?

80 x 24 2020 MAXXD A6X 10K DROP-N-LOAD CAR TRAILER Car / Racing Trailer | Trailers in El Paso TX | Red Barn Trailers - trailer dealer in El Paso for enclosed cargo, utility, flatbed and equipment trailers

john11gt

Established Member
i've considering buying a car trailer to tow my cobra with my 4.6 f-150 (only occasionally and local - maybe to the track, for an emergency breakdown, tow to a shop, etc), and i think having a winch is probably one of the important features it can have.

what do you guys think about something like this to eliminate loading angle problems? way overkill?

80 x 24 2020 MAXXD A6X 10K DROP-N-LOAD CAR TRAILER Car / Racing Trailer | Trailers in El Paso TX | Red Barn Trailers - trailer dealer in El Paso for enclosed cargo, utility, flatbed and equipment trailers

hey man, if you got it, why not? That’s a nice trailer but waaaay out of my league lol.

A dove tail trailer helps with lower vehicles and if you have clearance issues getting on one, longer ramps should help.

Users who are viewing this thread