What Tow Rig Combination

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
You can do countless math exercises on gas vs. diesel mpg and increased diesel/maintenance cost extrapolated over time of ownership blah blah blah blah.

You never need a diesel until you do. The first time you tow any significant weight, that realization becomes crystal clear.

Amen

stvdman

Established Member
Since you already have an F150....I would go with an F250. GAS engine given the low miles you will be putting on it.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I went from a F150, to a gas 350, to a Diesel 450, then back to a 150.
Currently about to buy another 350 Diesel.
You just CANNOT compare the 2. The superduty power stroke does the job "correctly".

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
You can do countless math exercises on gas vs. diesel mpg and increased diesel/maintenance cost extrapolated over time of ownership blah blah blah blah.

You never need a diesel until you do. The first time you tow any significant weight, that realization becomes crystal clear.

The gas mileage and maintenance is something I don’t care about. I don’t even really have a preference as to which trailer I buy. It will either be something around a 20’-22’ open trailer with a guard at the front or a 24’ enclosed.

I have heard that it is not good for diesels to sit. Which is why I wondered which would be a better option the F150 and an open trailer or F250 and enclosed gooseneck.

Trucks will essentially be the same Lariat, Supercrew, Max tow, FX4, but either a new 3.5EB or diesel. I have a thing against gasser super duty trucks. Seen too many buy them for one reason or another over diesel and regret it.

Sent from the Coronas Response Team.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You can tow a car trailer with an F150 EB no problem, but the stability of a SD is night and day different. A gas SD will work fine, but the diesel is so much nicer. I have a 20' 10k open trailer that I pull behind my DRW F350 and wouldn't do it any other way - the truck drives almost the same with the trailer on as it does with it off. Makes a big difference in confidence when going down the road.

7upstang

Established Member
Honestly how many times a year do you plan on towing and how far?

After owning diesel trucks and not needing to gets expensive. They are hard to justify for the little amount of use you'll have. Personally, I would rather have the money back in my pocket. The only plus side, diesel trucks hold their value extremely well.

Are you getting rid of your current F-150 to buy a newer truck?

I know you said you didn't want a gasser F-250, but I would certainly give the truck a test drive.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The gas mileage and maintenance is something I don’t care about. I don’t even really have a preference as to which trailer I buy. It will either be something around a 20’-22’ open trailer with a guard at the front or a 24’ enclosed.

I have heard that it is not good for diesels to sit. Which is why I wondered which would be a better option the F150 and an open trailer or F250 and enclosed gooseneck.

Trucks will essentially be the same Lariat, Supercrew, Max tow, FX4, but either a new 3.5EB or diesel. I have a thing against gasser super duty trucks. Seen too many buy them for one reason or another over diesel and regret it.

they do have fuel additives to help protect against fungus growth.

I would also look into the long term effects of DEF sitting, I've been told that people have bought old DEF from autoparts stores/gas stations and it had wrecked the pump and such. I've seen old DEF jugs where the residual crystallized almost like sand, the pumps are very sensitive to contamination. On our Mack trucks the dealers warn us up and down about not getting dirt in the DEF tanks.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I know plenty of people who take their car to the track with a Porsche Cayenne and lightweight enclosed aluminum trailer. I think a F250 would be overkill for me. Personally, I am going with a 2020 Raptor + Trailex Aluminum trailer.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Sick setup! How do you get the car up there? My buddy has a tilt similar and it’s a pain. Gotta crib the truck or bring a race ramps/boards.

thanks! I just a few pieces of ply wood as a step up. my car just clears it. any lower and I'd have to buy the ramps for the rear wheels of the truck to back up on during loading.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
You can tow a car trailer with an F150 EB no problem, but the stability of a SD is night and day different. A gas SD will work fine, but the diesel is so much nicer. I have a 20' 10k open trailer that I pull behind my DRW F350 and wouldn't do it any other way - the truck drives almost the same with the trailer on as it does with it off. Makes a big difference in confidence when going down the road.

At what point does towing with a loaded out F150 become a problem? Is it trailer length? Weight? A combination? I see guys tow these trailers with Lightnings and never seen one wrecked.

I have never towed a lot so I am new to all this.

Honestly how many times a year do you plan on towing and how far?

After owning diesel trucks and not needing to gets expensive. They are hard to justify for the little amount of use you'll have. Personally, I would rather have the money back in my pocket. The only plus side, diesel trucks hold their value extremely well.

Are you getting rid of your current F-150 to buy a newer truck?

I know you said you didn't want a gasser F-250, but I would certainly give the truck a test drive.

I’d be towing every couple of weekends a month. Eventually I want to setup a car for competing in something like Limited Street. It will be a 2V so weight can be kept down. No wild setup, just something for fun. So I’d also, eventually, be hitting as many NMRA events as possible.

Keeping the current F150, I don’t even have 60k on it. I will eventually trade it in for a newer one for my wife but I don’t know when.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
If you wanna go big....

Attachments

• IMG_6159.JPG
    IMG_6159.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 120

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
It makes goinging to the track a game changer!
Nothing is better than getting there the night before and waking up at the track!

yea that's what I want, I don't really want to be parking my truck and trailer at some random hotels.
Which trailer is that?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Its a sundowner 1786 42' with a 24' garage.
Onan generator is on the roof, which keeps it quiet in the living quarters.

Users who are viewing this thread