What state to move to?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Well iffn you want the seasons but not the snow up to your eyeballs in the winter or humidity that makes your shoes mold in the closet in the summer pick somewhere in between. I have lived in Wis, PRK, 10aC, Texas, Ok and now here in NW Ark. I feel I have the best of everything. Ozark Mountains, view of Beaver Lake, nearest neighbor 1/2 mile down the road and own 100 yard shooting range. The main town on Bentonville is only 20 miles and has everything. Yeah I am retired but there are a lot of big corps in the area. Anyway think of somewhere in between the extremes

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Well iffn you want the seasons but not the snow up to your eyeballs in the winter or humidity that makes your shoes mold in the closet in the summer pick somewhere in between. I have lived in Wis, PRK, 10aC, Texas, Ok and now here in NW Ark. I feel I have the best of everything. Ozark Mountains, view of Beaver Lake, nearest neighbor 1/2 mile down the road and own 100 yard shooting range. The main town on Bentonville is only 20 miles and has everything. Yeah I am retired but there are a lot of big corps in the area. Anyway think of somewhere in between the extremes

Psh. I've seen the show Ozark.

#nowayjose

CV355

_
Established Member
If I could do it over again, I'd vote southern border of North Carolina (Hendersonville, Brevard, etc). Nice and rural, gorgeous views, and best of all- if anyone is texting and driving, they run off the side of a cliff since there aren't guard-rails! Natural idiot-deterrents.

I'm not happy living in SC for many, many reasons. I'm here for a paycheck but there are no roots.

Never_Enough

Established Member
If I could do it over again, I'd vote southern border of North Carolina (Hendersonville, Brevard, etc). Nice and rural, gorgeous views, and best of all- if anyone is texting and driving, they run off the side of a cliff since there aren't guard-rails! Natural idiot-deterrents.

I'm not happy living in SC for many, many reasons. I'm here for a paycheck but there are no roots.
Why unhappy?

CV355

_
Established Member
Why unhappy?

Top 5 reasons:

5) Overpopulated, getting worse every day (giant hi-rise apartment complexes going in everywhere, poorly built McMansion suburbs, anthill subdivisions, no infrastructure to handle it. They'll shove 200 houses in 10 acres and then wonder why every redlight is backed up for 2 miles)
4) Terrible road conditions (constant construction = crusher run dumped in every intersection, potholes bad enough to blow tires)
3) If you enjoy Spring or Fall, look elsewhere. Spring is a joke- goes from being rainy and cold to unbearably hot overnight. Fall is ok, but no gradient here either.
2) Enjoy having a clean car? Between hard city water, direct sunlight, crap in the roads, and your neighbors mowing their lawn 8 times a week, it's a losing battle.
1) Drivers. Worst I've ever encountered. From full-stop right turns, nobody using their blinkers, nobody having functional tail-lights or headlights, after-church obliviousness, texting and driving, mid-day drunks... This is the main reason why I'm looking at moving from this state.

Coiled03

Established Member
1) Drivers. Worst I've ever encountered. From full-stop right turns, nobody using their blinkers, nobody having functional tail-lights or headlights, after-church obliviousness, texting and driving, mid-day drunks... This is the main reason why I'm looking at moving from this state.

Not sure if you've noticed, but everyone says the place they live has the worst drivers in the world. I'm not saying it's not a valid reason, but you'll likely find drivers are just as bad no matter where you go. So, if that's the main reason you're moving, I'm not sure how you're going to solve that problem.

CV355

_
Established Member
Not sure if you've noticed, but everyone says the place they live has the worst drivers in the world. I'm not saying it's not a valid reason, but you'll likely find drivers are just as bad no matter where you go. So, if that's the main reason you're moving, I'm not sure how you're going to solve that problem.

Population density- less people =less idiots.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Top 5 reasons:

5) Overpopulated, getting worse every day (giant hi-rise apartment complexes going in everywhere, poorly built McMansion suburbs, anthill subdivisions, no infrastructure to handle it. They'll shove 200 houses in 10 acres and then wonder why every redlight is backed up for 2 miles)
4) Terrible road conditions (constant construction = crusher run dumped in every intersection, potholes bad enough to blow tires)
3) If you enjoy Spring or Fall, look elsewhere. Spring is a joke- goes from being rainy and cold to unbearably hot overnight. Fall is ok, but no gradient here either.
2) Enjoy having a clean car? Between hard city water, direct sunlight, crap in the roads, and your neighbors mowing their lawn 8 times a week, it's a losing battle.

... and if all of that sounds okay with you, WELCOME TO CHARLESTON! HERE HAVE A PINEAPPLE

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Don't trick the man into coming down here on the premise of a "warm" summer lol. It's ****ing hot in the summer. Not just hot, ****ing hot.
Op, I can suggest outside Denver or Colorado Springs area. I totally fell for CO. I want to retire to there, get a jeep and just live in beautiful surroundings.
Edit: definitely check out Breckenridge
Affordable housing part would be a deal breaker for him. Everywhere is really expensive now, all those who couldn't afford Denver prices, branched into neighboring areas and raised those too.

CV355

_
Established Member
... and if all of that sounds okay with you, WELCOME TO CHARLESTON! HERE HAVE A PINEAPPLE

I don't know how you guys deal with it down there.

Granted, there are areas of Charleston that are absolutely beautiful. Folly Beach is my favorite. Dodging the gauntlet to get there is almost worth it.

T56LS102

Established Member
I am born and raised in Los Angeles, am now 32 and it is just getting worse and worse, crazy ppl running the city's and state. I see myself moving to Vegas in the next couple years, close enough to see my family in Los Angeles if I want and far enough away from the crap in Cali.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Top 5 reasons:

That is the case in my area too. :(

CV355

_
Established Member
Eh...not sure it'll work out in direct proportion, but the logic makes sense. Good luck!

As long as the ratio stays roughly the same, it should work.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I've been screwed over worse over the last 2 years than the rest of my life combined. Definitely ready to pack up, keep my middle finger out the window, and start over somewhere else. Hopefully a state where euthanasia is legal.

SC has some beautiful areas and there are many positives to living here (lower tax rates, high income vs cost of living ratio in the Upstate, restaurant variety...) It's a long list to be honest. The only people from here that I want to insult are the bad drivers. There are a lot of genuinely good people here. That being said, it's not a good fit for someone like me.

Users who are viewing this thread