What state to move to?

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
Sounds like Georgia might be on your radar. I relocated from upstate NY to the Atlanta area 7 years ago and would never go back.

Pro's
-Hardly ever snows
-Winter is very short compared to PA
-Conceal carry is not a problem
-Housing market is booming
-Homes aren't priced like NJ or CA, although they are quickly climbing in price
-Job market is booming
-Summer is hot (pro for me)
-Road Atlanta
-Atlanta Dragway
-Shooting ranges

Cons
-Traffic, Traffic, and more Traffic!!! Even in the smaller towns its nuts!
-Southerners cant drive worth a crap, especially if it rains or snows
-I don't think cars come with signal lights down here
-Illegals everywhere
-Rednecks everywhere
-People are a lot slower in the south: talking, walking, driving, working, you name it...
-Pollen- I truly believe its a lot worse in the south.

GodStang

Established Member
I'm in sales. Just give me a decent 1/4 mile track not terribly far away, no huge traffic issues & a shooting range. Also would prefer to be able to get to a nice beach, but I go so rarely these days it doesn't matter.

That is the good thing about my area. 1/4 mile track 10 mins from my house. beaches 2hrs away. Mountains 3 hrs away. COL is very low. We just have no Winter. We have hunting and fishing and guns everywhere if that is something you like.

Sounds like you're a victim of SRS. I have looked at working out there. It's a long drive though.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yes. Yes I am. Been working out there since 2001. Think I am stuck there.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
That is the good thing about my area. 1/4 mile track 10 mins from my house. beaches 2hrs away. Mountains 3 hrs away. COL is very low. We just have no Winter. We have hunting and fishing and guns everywhere if that is something you like.

Yes. Yes I am. Been working out there since 2001. Think I am stuck there.

As far as everyone's talk of Charleston goes, it's definitely not meant to dissuade anyone from considering living here. It's beautiful, slowly becoming more modernized and upscale, has just about everything you'd find in a larger city, but it's just extremely crowded and the demand placed on the businesses/roads/aging infrastructure is severe.

Just don't move here without expecting some form of "Well you have a nice house, right next to a trailer park, and your internet goes in and out because they built the utility station up the road 40 years ago and it goes under water when it's high tide and it rains all day".

The lady and I are considering Athens area one day. I love lawrenceville, Athens, lexington county area. So close to Road Atl and in a pretty safe/quiet/not hurricane effected area.

VegasMichael

Established Member
If you choose Nevada Vegas is pretty much your best bet since anything north of here gets cold and snow. Summer is 5+ months of triple digit weather. November thru April is quite pleasant although many don't realize how frequently windy it is here. I don't know what you do for a living so can't comment on job opportunities here. Pretty lax gun and drinking laws. I will say this: if you are prone to any sort of addiction do not come here because you will be able to feed it 24-7-365.

VegasMichael

Established Member
If I could move, I'd highly consider Nevada. The only problem is, there's not really much there outside of Vegas, and Reno.
True. Mostly because the federal government owns almost 90% of the state. If I was to do it over I would have gone to the Reno/Tahoe area instead of Vegas.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I don’t know how any of you live where it’s triple digits in the summer. That’s why I will not move south. When MW was in July I couldn’t breathe because it was so hot and humid. And makes something as simple as walking a damn chore.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
The Phoenix, AZ area is nice. The housing market is strong and reasonable. You are near Thunderbird Dragway, 5 hrs from San Diego, 6 hrs from Vegas, and 2 hrs from the mountains. There are plenty of places to hunt, fish, shoot, and camp. The car scene is huge out here. Gun laws are quite liberal. Though I don't know why someone would, but you can "open carry " here. If you're into sports, we have professional football, baseball, basketball, hockey and college sports with ASU and U of A. Also, there is Phoenix International Raceway.

Winters are very mild. Yes, the summers are hot. But, just like your winters there, you get used to it. I've been out here 10 yrs now. I moved from the Mid-Atlantic region and I have no desire to move back, or anywhere else for that matter.

The Phoenix Metropolitan area has over 4.5 million people. That's a lot of potential clients.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I don’t know how any of you live where it’s triple digits in the summer. That’s why I will not move south. When MW was in July I couldn’t breathe because it was so hot and humid. And makes something as simple as walking a damn chore.

I live for 100 degree days. I chugg beers and mow the grass at 3 p.m. No problem.

#bornandraised :cool:

08mojo

Established Member
I'm in sales. Just give me a decent 1/4 mile track not terribly far away, no huge traffic issues & a shooting range. Also would prefer to be able to get to a nice beach, but I go so rarely these days it doesn't matter.

I live in Alpharetta, GA. It has plenty of sales jobs available across a lot of different industries close by. Atlanta dragway is roughly an hour away (so is Road Atlanta...once you go to a road course, the drag strip is not as fun as it used to be). There are plenty of shooting ranges.

The bad: traffic. Traffic is absolute shit around metro Atlanta (on the North side, as everyone lives on the North side of Atlanta).

Sounds like Georgia might be on your radar. I relocated from upstate NY to the Atlanta area 7 years ago and would never go back.

Pro's
-Hardly ever snows
-Winter is very short compared to PA
-Conceal carry is not a problem
-Housing market is booming
-Homes aren't priced like NJ or CA, although they are quickly climbing in price
-Job market is booming
-Summer is hot (pro for me)
-Road Atlanta
-Atlanta Dragway
-Shooting ranges

Cons
-Traffic, Traffic, and more Traffic!!! Even in the smaller towns its nuts!
-Southerners cant drive worth a crap, especially if it rains or snows
-I don't think cars come with signal lights down here
-Illegals everywhere
-Rednecks everywhere
-People are a lot slower in the south: talking, walking, driving, working, you name it...
-Pollen- I truly believe its a lot worse in the south.

You nailed it! Where do you live?

I live for 100 degree days. I chugg beers and mow the grass at 3 p.m. No problem.

#bornandraised :cool:

^this. Sure, I'm uncomfortable when I'm hot, but I HURT when I'm cold. People always say you can warm-up/add layers when cold--that never worked for me. It is a hell of a lot easier to jump in a pool/lake/river to cool off when I'm hot.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
I live in Alpharetta, GA. It has plenty of sales jobs available across a lot of different industries close by. Atlanta dragway is roughly an hour away (so is Road Atlanta...once you go to a road course, the drag strip is not as fun as it used to be). There are plenty of shooting ranges.

The bad: traffic. Traffic is absolute shit around metro Atlanta (on the North side, as everyone lives on the North side of Atlanta).

You nailed it! Where do you live?

Braselton at the moment, about a mile from Road Atlanta....building a new house in Flowery Branch

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Sales of what? PM me if you want to.
That would help. Cost of living pretty cheap, tracks close, NOLA not far, housing market good.But i need to know what you do before I can recommend a area.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Sales of what? PM me if you want to.
That would help. Cost of living pretty cheap, tracks close, NOLA not far, housing market good.But i need to know what you do before I can recommend a area.
I'm in inside sales aka I sit at a desk selling over the phone & email. I've been in many different industries so as long as something is legit & I can make money, I'll sell it. Not boiler room or call center type bs, though. That life ain't for me. Sorry if that sounds cryptic, I don't mean to be. Feel free to ask specific questions. :)

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Heavy equipment sales? Industrial sales? I live in the heaviest industrial area in the country pretty much. in nearly 100 mile stretch there are 150 plants.
Rural areas around Baton Rouge are pretty good.

coposrv

Established Member
I’m probably never leaving mass permanently but I have friend that moved to fla a few years ago and they love it. They’re on the treasure coast in Stuart. Golf and boats are a must for me.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Either of the Carolina's. Everyone's I know that moves there stays. Florida, not so much. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never_Enough

Established Member
Heavy equipment sales? Industrial sales? I live in the heaviest industrial area in the country pretty much. in nearly 100 mile stretch there are 150 plants.
Rural areas around Baton Rouge are pretty good.
Nope, haven't done that. I'd be looking for another desk job. No outside sales. I am currently in the construction industry, though.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
If you choose Nevada Vegas is pretty much your best bet since anything north of here gets cold and snow. Summer is 5+ months of triple digit weather. November thru April is quite pleasant although many don't realize how frequently windy it is here. I don't know what you do for a living so can't comment on job opportunities here. Pretty lax gun and drinking laws. I will say this: if you are prone to any sort of addiction do not come here because you will be able to feed it 24-7-365.

The wind is outrageous. January was OK, but they can hold the kite flying championships here in February-March. Good grief!

Users who are viewing this thread