What state to move to?

Never_Enough

Established Member
There's really nothing keeping me in PA & I hate cold weather. With the housing market bs, I'm thinking take another stab at looking into getting the hell out & go somewhere else with better weather & lower COL.

I've been applying to jobs in South FL for years (I have close friends that live there) and, if any of the jobs that did offer me a role panned out, I'd already be down there. Seems as though pay & the job market are shit there, though. At least for what I do.

So what states/cities should I be looking into? I'd prefer somewhere with winters better than PA, but not opposed to moving somewhere else that has similar winters. However, I will not go north & I will not move to CA or back to NJ. Also prefer a state where I can still lawfully concealed carry without issue. I do not have any desire to live in a city setting, regardless of where. Suburbs for me.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Carolinas. But stick to spartanburg area if you can. Less going on up there then in Charleston. It's a shit show down here. Tiny city with damn near a million people in it.. doesn't make for a fun evening of traffic.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I really enjoyed Alabama (Mobile) to be exact.. With being military I'm looking at getting stationed back there next.. End goal is likely Boise, ID

Coiled03

Established Member
If I could move, I'd highly consider Nevada. The only problem is, there's not really much there outside of Vegas, and Reno.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Lots of folks suggesting big states with no reasons or specific cities/areas. Care to elaborate?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I think all the suggestions are along the lines of COL and weather really. I don't know what industry you're in so as far as work you'd really have to find someplace you could land a decent paying job in

pwrshft99

Established Member
I'm in Illinois and trying to get together an exit strategy for about 10 years from now. Have family in Georgia and a high school buddy in Tennessee. They post up the weeks weather forecast occasionally and I want to cry. I'm stuck here until my son turns 18 but I regularly check the classifieds to get an idea of the job market and housing cost in the area.

Then again, 10 more years of global warming and Chicago might warm up nicely in the winter. But that means having to dodge bullets year round instead of only 8 months.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Carolinas. But stick to spartanburg area if you can. Less going on up there then in Charleston. It's a shit show down here. Tiny city with damn near a million people in it.. doesn't make for a fun evening of traffic.
Charleston is super nice but the traffic is bad. 2 hours to Myrtle Beach or Columbia, or Savannah. I hope to end up in Charleston after grad school

Coiled03

Established Member
Lots of folks suggesting big states with no reasons or specific cities/areas. Care to elaborate?

In my case, I find the laws in Nevada with regards to most things to be much better than here in IL. Legal whoring, and gambling doesn't hurt.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
There's really nothing keeping me in PA & I hate cold weather. With the housing market bs, I'm thinking take another stab at looking into getting the hell out & go somewhere else with better weather & lower COL.

I've been applying to jobs in South FL for years (I have close friends that live there) and, if any of the jobs that did offer me a role panned out, I'd already be down there. Seems as though pay & the job market are shit there, though. At least for what I do.

So what states/cities should I be looking into? I'd prefer somewhere with winters better than PA, but not opposed to moving somewhere else that has similar winters. However, I will not go north & I will not move to CA or back to NJ. Also prefer a state where I can still lawfully concealed carry without issue. I do not have any desire to live in a city setting, regardless of where. Suburbs for me.
Colorado.

GodStang

Established Member
Charleston is super nice but the traffic is bad. 2 hours to Myrtle Beach or Columbia, or Savannah. I hope to end up in Charleston after grad school

Huge fan of Charleston. I am originally from Summerville. Just outside of Charleston. Great climate and can get to the beach quickly and only a few hours fro mountains. I am in Aiken, SC now wanting to get back to Charleston but being in the Nuke field that is almost a no go.

OP what do you do for a living. Knowing your field of work helps. What do you like to do?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
And it gets more congested starting at this time of year.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What kind of work do you do? Are you targeting a specific salary range?

With reduced cost of living in some of the already suggested states, you might be able to re-evaluate your salary requirements.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Huge fan of Charleston. I am originally from Summerville. Just outside of Charleston. Great climate and can get to the beach quickly and only a few hours fro mountains. I am in Aiken, SC now wanting to get back to Charleston but being in the Nuke field that is almost a no go.

OP what do you do for a living. Knowing your field of work helps. What do you like to do?
Sounds like you're a victim of SRS. I have looked at working out there. It's a long drive though.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Never_Enough

Established Member

I'm in sales. Just give me a decent 1/4 mile track not terribly far away, no huge traffic issues & a shooting range. Also would prefer to be able to get to a nice beach, but I go so rarely these days it doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread