What car says “I made it”?

noco5.0

Established Member
I was just in a pretty wealthy area and wondered if all of the people who were driving Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's, etc had made it. A lot of the houses along the beach were well over 1 million plus as well. I'm sure some had made it big, but I think there were a lot of overextended people stressing about the recent stock market crash as well.

tracycali

Established Member
The 3 sitting outside that are paid for under the carport that is paid for.........
I don't care about what I drive anymore. I want a new truck, it is about time but can't justify a 67K sticker price. Eventually I will I guess.

Let someone else take the hit on depreciation and catch it on the ‘for sale by owner’ lists. Bought a fully loaded 2012 F150 Lariat 4x4 SCAB in 2014 w/less than 50,000mi on it for $30,000. It stickered for $54,000. Looked like the hitch had never been used. CA truck that never saw roadsalt. Just turned 100,000 no-trouble miles.

tracycali

Established Member
I was just in a pretty wealthy area and wondered if all of the people who were driving Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's, etc had made it. A lot of the houses along the beach were well over 1 million plus as well. I'm sure some had made it big, but I think there were a lot of overextended people stressing about the recent stock market crash as well.
Got in-laws living in a trailer park in Merced,CA. Went to visit them one day after the housing bust and noticed most of the spaces had new-ish BMW, Audi, Jaguars, etc. in the car ports. Asked my BIL what the deal was. He just laughed and said they were all newby’s to the park who lost homes in the bust. All they had to show for their refi mistakes was the cars they paid cash for. You never know.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

D1984

Whining
Established Member
around here, if you see an old man driving around in a new car with dealer plates you know he's the richest dude within a 10 mile radius because he owns 6 dealerships down to the land they're on, and a bunch of commercial and residential property.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I think the "I made it" for the Wife and I are simple

New nice F150 (which we just bought)
Newer Jeep/4Runner/Expl Sport/SUV of some sort for her (in due time)
Cool mustang in the garage (which we have)

After that, it's not really something we are going to pursue. We are pretty happy with what we have now.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
they need to make a four door. like a Panamera

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Not true. If you can finance at a low enough rate its better to invest the cash and let it out pace the loan.
They taught us that in business school 40 years ago. "Leverage" "Use other people's money". I get that.

I once sold cars between careers years ago waiting on a non-compete contract to expire to start my business. Generally speaking, the people who could pay cash for cars, did.

Including me.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
If your expensive car is involved in an accident and repaired it has diminished value. If you lease the same car and its wrecked, you arent stuck with it. if its totaled, the lease is over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
How does paying 84-96 months for a depreciating asset show that youve made it

We financed my wife's F150 at 84 months to get the Ford credit bonus. After 3 payments we refinanced and paid it down to 48 months. We're way ahead of the depreciation.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
We financed my wife's F150 at 84 months to get the Ford credit bonus. After 3 payments we refinanced and paid it down to 48 months. We're way ahead of the depreciation.

Well that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread