What car says “I made it”?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Let me clarify an earlier statement so as not to piss off half the forum. I have financed cars, and leased cars. However, most people who have "made it", did it the hard way, and have raised kids, paid for a house, reached their later years. Those people usually have assets, and no need to finance, and in my experience, they usually don't finance now that they don't have to.

My reference was really towards people who finance more car or truck than they probably should. A depreciating asset financed out the wazoo isn't the greatest investment, even if your 401k is averaging a greater return than the interest on your new car.

CV355

_
Established Member
Well that makes sense.

I agree with you though. Dealers rope people in by asking "what monthly payment do you want." I didn't even know that loans existed beyond 48mo until I was offered 84 on the GT500. I think I took 60 plus a 35% down payment to stay on the safe side.

noco5.0

Established Member
Many people that have "made it" lease cars, write them off as a business expense, and get a new one every 2-3 years.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I agree with you though. Dealers rope people in by asking "what monthly payment do you want." I didn't even know that loans existed beyond 48mo until I was offered 84 on the GT500. I think I took 60 plus a 35% down payment to stay on the safe side.

Yeah i hate that question. I went shopping recently and the salesman told me the best bet since i had USAA and a credit union was to used them and just pick out what fit my budgeted amount

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Let me clarify an earlier statement so as not to piss off half the forum. I have financed cars, and leased cars. However, most people who have "made it", did it the hard way, and have raised kids, paid for a house, reached their later years. Those people usually have assets, and no need to finance, and in my experience, they usually don't finance now that they don't have to.

My reference was really towards people who finance more car or truck than they probably should. A depreciating asset financed out the wazoo isn't the greatest investment, even if your 401k is averaging a greater return than the interest on your new car.
I was readin' yer mail.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Not true. If you can finance at a low enough rate its better to invest the cash and let it out pace the loan.

This. I wouldn’t pay cash $100k+ on a car when I can put 30% down, and then invest the other $70k. Finance $70k with a loan or my home equity line (whichever is lowest) over 5 years, and pay it off at an accelerated rate. No matter what, I’m never upside down on the car, and seeing the monthly payment keeps the constant temptation of buying another $100k car the next year at bay. This is how I buy most of my cars

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
This. I wouldn’t pay cash $100k+ on a car when I can put 30% down, and then invest the other $70k. Finance $70k with a loan or my home equity line (whichever is lowest) over 5 years, and pay it off at an accelerated rate. No matter what, I’m never upside down on the car, and seeing the monthly payment keeps the constant temptation of buying another $100k car the next year at bay. This is how I buy most of my cars

Depends on your risk aversion. I would never put the roof over my head at risk just to pay for a vehicle.

This kind of thinking comes into play after going through a half dozen recessions.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Depends on your risk aversion. I would never put the roof over my head at risk just to pay for a vehicle.

This kind of thinking comes into play after going through a half dozen recessions.

This, just paid off our HELOC and don't plan on using it anymore. We do however, add the amount of the old HELOC payment to our mortgage to go towards the interest.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member

I haven’t had a mortgage in a while. I got a home equity loan another lifetime ago to buy my ex’s equity out of my house—paid it off and kept it open the last 4 years. I’ve used it to buy a car and a condo. Can’t remember the rate but it was high 2%, low 3%. It’s much easier than the hassle of setting up a loan

Last edited:

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Many people that have "made it" lease cars, write them off as a business expense, and get a new one every 2-3 years.
Despite my beer fueled comments last night about cash versus financing I think this is the reality for the folks who can buy any way they want. The in-laws of my in-laws were "old money" and leasing is how they stayed in new vehicles every couple of years.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Agreed, paying cash for a new car is nuts. When you drive it off the lot you take at least a $10k hit.

My94GT

Established Member
Agreed, paying cash for a new car is nuts. When you drive it off the lot you take at least a $10k hit.
It depends, we bought the wife’s XC90 by trading in her A3 for 10k and paying the rest in cash. The car has a whopping 6k miles a year later. So either it’ll last us a long time or we’ll just have a nice trade in on the next one but at the time rates were nothing to write home about vs utilizing money we had on hand.

Now with my Ram I just purchased we put a large amount down and financed the rest through my credit union.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
A car you paid cash for. No loan necessary.

Any ****head can borrow money for 60 or more months to acquire a nice car.
Just ask Warren Buffett. I believe he made it.

After reading the thread I like this answer the best. I know quite a few people who do just this. Just a 5 dollar bill trying to look like a 20.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
After reading the thread I like this answer the best. I know quite a few people who do just this. Just a 5 dollar bill trying to look like a 20.

Not exactly.

Driving a Ferrari is driving a Ferrari.

Doesn’t matter if you finance it or pay it cash. You still drive a Ferrari.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I just hope it can tow my boat...
lamborghini-urus-towing-a-huracan-performante-new-life-goals-127953_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread