What aluminator to go with?? Blown motor

Rubberman

Established Member
How much the 8 rib cost any body got any deals out there on them beef??? Daniel checked and told me the 11:1 had the billet gear in it so either way my motor will have one for sure.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
imo low boost stick with the 11:1 if doing alot of track time then crank up the boost throw some race gas in it and run the 9.5:1....I had both, you can make great jam either way but the stock like driveabilty is better with 11:1 when out of boost....BTW if getting either Alluminator MAKE SURE IT HAS OIL PUMP GEARS! N/A you will need to put them in, although the 9.5 version is advertized to come with them mine and many others didnt have them....Ford stepped up to the plate and fixed most of them if not all of them but it was a hassle for guys like me that found out after the engine was already installed....

mhyjek

Established Member
As far as timing, just to clarify, you'll see timing in the mid 20's on the log, as you tip into the boost / wot, that timing is going to come down pretty quick, and after reviewing the logs, the timing for the last 3000 rpms of the log is at 16 degrees.

Lund tuned my current setup as well via beefcake and I had a self imposed issue ie spraying meth without being tuned and the knock sensor were showing adding timing along with pulling fuel. Now it maxed out at 18.5 I showed Jon II the logs he told me he wasn't comfortable tuning for meth because to many problems with bad pumps had me re lo without sent me a revision which locked down total timing to 15.5 via post logs I saw had the car re dynoed because I want to do a maf relocation and with 15.5 timing Afr at 11.2 car dynoed 650 whp and 500 wtq. Car has 5000 miles FI and running strong. OP sorry about your motor but m experience with Lund is they are very cautious but effective at tuning FI and If it was me I would wait to tear down before making any judgement. Also if it makes you feel any better I broke my clutch on the last dyno pull actually when I left the shop thought it was my trans went magnum and spent 6k or so. I wasn't thrilled but I own when I'm playing with power stuff can break. Hope you take lemons and make lemonade!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks Mike, op hasn't had anything bad to say.and the customers are all that matters

And he's in good hands with Daniel for the new engine and will be running stronger soon

calgarybandit

Established Member
I have a 9.5.1 Aluminator and awesome response, customer service from Lund, the only issues has been my BOV bleeding off air. I laugh when people come on car forums and jump on the blame game for a "bad issue" and people swarm to make assumptions and target "vendors". We would all be kidding our selves if we said modding a car never has issues!

CSG

Established Member
The story I heard is after the big fiasco with the oil pump gears not being in the 9.5 engines Ford started putting the good gears in both the 11:1 and 9.5:1 engines.

calgarybandit

Established Member
The story I heard is after the big fiasco with the oil pump gears not being in the 9.5 engines Ford started putting the good gears in both the 11:1 and 9.5:1 engines.

When I ordered mine in March there was a delay from Ford fixing the issue with the oil gears, when mine I arrvied the code on the back of the motor was for billett gears.

D.T.R

Established Member
I do not believe the 11:1 were EVER advertised to have oil pump gears. The 9.5, on the other hand, were... but Ford failed to do so still.
I was one of the affected motors... and I have NOTHING but great things to say about how Marty and FRPP handled the situation. My motor now has the gears in it and i never had to pay for anything. If i had to do it again, i would do it all over again.
As for the question at hand, i would personally go with the 9.5:1. I am not sure if it's because my car is turbo, but i did not notice a difference in throttle response with the 9.5:1 vs the stock 11:1. I do not regret going with 9.5:1 one bit... plus it gives me a little more room to grow on pump gas... which is what i use on the streets the most.

CPRsm

I have a 9.5.1 Aluminator and awesome response, customer service from Lund, the only issues has been my BOV bleeding off air. I laugh when people come on car forums and jump on the blame game for a "bad issue" and people swarm to make assumptions and target "vendors". We would all be kidding our selves if we said modding a car never has issues!
Shit does happen but you need to figure out why. If for no other reason so the engine doesn't go back together and happen over again. A vendor mentioned in here is still popping #8's, why is that?

calgarybandit

Established Member
Shit does happen but you need to figure out why. If for no other reason so the engine doesn't go back together and happen over again. A vendor mentioned in here is still popping #8's, why is that?

I completely agree so shit does not happen again! And far as other vendors still popping #8 ALL customers have the trust in their hands to provide quality work and be accountable, I have to do that every day in my job!

burke985

Established Member
Shit should not blow up on a stock pulley and a supposed safe tune unless it was negligence by owner /tuner/installer end of story.

D.T.R

Established Member
I completely agree so shit does not happen again! And far as other vendors still popping #8 ALL customers have the trust in their hands to provide quality work and be accountable, I have to do that every day in my job!

There is little to none accountability in this industry bud.

hopony

Established Member

There is little to none accountability in this industry bud.

Just remember there are always 2 sides to a story. I can not tell you how many times customers don't listen. Have someone else work on it, then bring it to you all messed up and expect you to be able to make it perfect. Sometime stuff just happens beyond a tuner or installers control.

D.T.R

Established Member
Just remember there are always 2 sides to a story. I can not tell you how many times customers don't listen. Have someone else work on it, then bring it to you all messed up and expect you to be able to make it perfect. Sometime stuff just happens beyond a tuner or installers control.

i get that, but it just seems standard procedure that no one will "reinburse" you for anything, or fix it, cover repairs etc.
Hell, seems like the new trend on a lot of parts, engines, etc is that they do not come with a warranty period as they're meant for racing. As far as tuning, that's the worst one. I will never ever expect a tuner to cover for anything... they will always find an excuse as to why something broke. And when they are out of excuses, they can always use the "oh you must have got bad fuel from the pump" excuse. It's a waste of time to try to make a tuner own up to their fk up. I will however expose them to their mistake, and move on to someone else.

willytucker

Established Member
Shit should not blow up on a stock pulley and a supposed safe tune unless it was negligence by owner /tuner/installer end of story.

After many years racing with top notch aftermarket parts I can tell you that this statement is VERY WRONG!!!

Mechanical things break...period. Its never a matter of if...its always a matter of when. There is alot of mechanical reasons why motors can break that have ZERO to do with a tune or install.

calgarybandit

Established Member
Mechanical things break...period. Its never a matter of if...its always a matter of when. There is alot of mechanical reasons why motors can break that have ZERO to do with a tune or install.

That's why I said when something goes wrong people jump on the blame game! There is always 2 sides to a story and modding a car ALWAYS has issues.

burke985

Established Member
After many years racing with top notch aftermarket parts I can tell you that this statement is VERY WRONG!!!

Well maybe Ford will warranty his low mileage motor then. Top notch parts are only part of the equation , if your in business to sell them/install them / tune for them then and your work is shabby then you should pay for it if it was not the owners fault within a certain time frame. Most reputable shops give 12/12 warranties on parts and labor and it's no different than calling the guy back out who supposedly fixed the leak on your roof . He said it would not leak for a year yet it does so he has to fix his shabby work . So I think your WRONG!!.

Tama_Drumhead

Established Member
I'm also thinking about going with an Aluminator, the NA version. In the tech notes listed on the FRPP site it states the front cover is modified for Ford Racing Supercharger Kits and for applications not using a Ford Racing Supercharger Kit, the stock timing cover must be installed. Will someone explain to me why this is necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread