What aluminator to go with?? Blown motor

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We tuned the car, no biggie there. Not sure how a tune is going to smash a plug, lol. That's like saying a tune caused a control arm to break.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
@Josh, as far as the engine,

Our recommendation on "fuel" is 9.5:1. On e85 11:1 is ok.

The 9.5:1 will always be more forgiving in all applications though

If the block is ok, you always have the option is adding pistons and rods and balancing.

Need to find the underlying issue as well with a teardown

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
I'd just get a 9:5:1 and run more boost. Get a Dyno tune from TSS while your at it this time. Good luck and sucks to hear this

Shaun@AED

Only 1 way to smash a plug, and that is from something hitting it.

If it's not a piece of foreign material going thru the engine (rare), it would be a piece of piston, and the #1 cause of a cracked piston crown is detonation.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Only 1 way to smash a plug, and that is from something hitting it.

If it's not a piece of foreign material going thru the engine (rare), it would be a piece of piston, and the #1 cause of a cracked piston crown is detonation.

The car wasn't seeing any knock. And we tune our cars very conservative, on average, 2-4 degrees less than yours, and .5 point richer.

The only way I see it being from detonation is if an injector wasn't firing.

CPRsm

Not sure how a tune is going to smash a plug, lol.
Extreme detonation can close a plug gap. Detonation can break a piston and those bits can hit the plug closing the gap also

OP, sounds like either a ring land torched/broke letting oil into the intake tract, or a rod broke, windowing the block letting oil on the outside of the engine. You'll more than likely see oil under the car and on you back bumper if you were driving fast enough. Oil burning you would have seen was just burning on the outside of your exhaust. Daniel is a smart cookie, he'll be able to find the root cause. Sux either way, good luck man.

Shaun@AED

We tuned the car, no biggie there. Not sure how a tune is going to smash a plug, lol. That's like saying a tune caused a control arm to break.

How is this 'no biggie' in your book?
This is a huge expense for someone who just spent a LOT of $$$ with you expecting to be getting 'the best' parts and tuning.

Shaun@AED

Injector Dynamics produce the best injectors on the market. Each injector is thruoughly tested before leaving their facility. They are VERY serious about quality control.

Furthermore running lean melts a piston slowly, you would not normally find a smashed plug in this instance. Ignition knock is what instantly cracks pistons.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Extreme detonation can close a plug gap. Detonation can break a piston and those bits can hit the plug closing the gap also

OP, sounds like either a ring land torched/broke letting oil into the intake tract, or a rod broke, windowing the block letting oil on the outside of the engine. You'll more than likely see oil under the car and on you back bumper if you were driving fast enough. Oil burning you would have seen was just burning on the outside of your exhaust. Daniel is a smart cookie, he'll be able to find the root cause. Sux either way, good luck man.

I agree, but that would take "extreme detonation",

And I agree, Daniel outta be able to figure out the issue.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Injector Dynamics produce the best injectors on the market. Each injector is thruoughly tested before leaving their facility. They are VERY serious about quality control.

Furthermore running lean melts a piston slowly, you would not normally find a smashed plug in this instance. Ignition knock is what instantly cracks pistons.

Exactly, and like I said, as conservative as our tunes are, and the car having limited miles on it over a couple weeks. There is def an underlying issue.

burke985

Established Member
Exactly, and like I said, as conservative as our tunes are, and the car having limited miles on it over a couple weeks. There is def an underlying issue.

what about knock sensitivity , is anything messed with in the tune as far as the knock sensors go? Because if i've understood it correctly the knock sensors are supposed to pick up detonation and shut the detonating cylinder down so there is no melting of the piston or engine damage.

CPRsm

Nah, not possible. Injector not firing would add no fuel. No fuel would be a noticeable miss, or check engine light. Least of all detonation. No fuel, no fire. No fire, nothing to hurt parts.

I agree, but that would take "extreme detonation",

And I agree, Daniel outta be able to figure out the issue.
Exactly, extreme detonation would crack a piston. Tunes can also knock out rod bearings if the HG or rod doesn't buckle and cause the counterbalance to hit the underside of the piston. Then rod gets hot from excessive heat and exits stage left out the block. Probably not the case here since the pistons are much too weak for that. All I'm saying is a tune can cause a smashed plug. Maybe not bend a control arm, but can smash a plug. But not blaming this particular tune. Can never rule out a possible cause before diagnosis no matter who the tuner is. SCT has been known to fubar timing tables. A perfectly written tune does something other than desired. Something goes boom, tunes fault, but not the tuners. If you glance over that possibility the root cause can never be diagnosed and fixed properly

Rubberman

Established Member
When I got the car home I turned the key up to see if there was a code and I did accidently starts it (bumped it up to high with the key) and it made like one turn with a binding sound . I cant see any oil around the motor but is steady coming out where my xpipe clamps but im sure that is from when it blew because the oil is really burnt , the oil in the engine is still like new though . when it happened I was doing about 60 or so getting on it and when it went there was a super thick cloud of white some that just shot out the car until it came to a stop and the car killed. Im not that knowledgeable in detail with detonation and all that and have no clue what happened , I personally have nothing but good to say about beefcake and lund they both have met my expectations from start to finish. Looking at it in the most positive way like I told my wife is ( just look at it like I was going to spend the 10-11k on a motor anyway) trust me flowers aint going fix this one! My main thing is finding out what caused it so that is why im bringing it to tss and getting the car done by him. I could just get a new motor and install it myself but the same thing can happen right off the jump. Spending this much im going to order a fuel system, 8 rib , and anything else necessary to make it as durable as possible

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Photobucket.

Only one plug was smashed? Maybe oil pump gears broke? I would think if it let go enough it would smash more then one.

Users who are viewing this thread