Tranny/Clutch - say it ain't so

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Been awhile since I posted and got screwed by Ford on my GT500 clutch with 3,929 miles on it. Now the GT350 has this:

Had to be towed Friday night to dealer. Earlier that morning on the way to work, while backing out of garage, heard a weird noise, sounded like it was coming from the tranny or clutch. Stopped, my son and I inspected and smelled, nothing seemed out of place. As I drove down the street it seemed to go away.

later in the afternoon after filling up with race gas, we were doing about 45 mph and ready to make a left turn, stopped at a stop sign pushed the clutch in, put it in neutral. As the gear shifter is supposedly in neutral I let the clutch out and the car lunges forward and dies. Holy crap, what now.

it seems to be stuck in 3rd or 4th gear while the shifter is supposedly in neutral and moves from side to side. To get onto wrecker, my son had to sit in it, push the clutch in to engage, motor on, while he dragged it onto it. So the clutch is engaging, but tranny ain't shifting.

only have 165 miles on it as we were trying to complete the OBD 2 Drive cycle so I could smog it here in California before the air police get me. Got it from Ohio, because bozos here want in the $80k and up range, not an 'R', a regular.

Will hear tomorrow hopefully when tranny And clutch guys get back and will update. Would appreciate any input.

Anyone else experienced?

Current sleds
2016 GT350 Comp Orange, Tech Pack, etc...
2013 GT500
2013 ZL1
2013 Challenger R/T w/ SC installed
1973 Dodge Dart - Hot Rod magazine build
2015 Ford Explorer 4x4 (the usual commuter)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sounds like the lower shifter linkage is disconnected from the shaft it bolts to at the rear of the transmission.

If you want to familiarize yourself with the shifter, take a look at the following thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1095456-GT350-OEM-Shifter

Disregard the transmission stand in the photo and note how the shifter connects to the transmission. If the issue isn't internal and something broke on the shifter, you'll see it as soon as its up on a lift.

_z1107151539_HDR_resized.jpg

Looking forward to hearing exactly what the issue is. If you can, please document it with a photo(s) too. Good luck!

ON EDIT:

My guess? Again, if it isn't internal...

- the small bolt where the lower linkage connects to the transmission rod either broke or backed out

or

- one of the clips fell off of the stainless pins at either the middle of the lower linkage or at the end of the lower linkage at the bottom of the shifter and the pin fell out or is ready to fall out.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The children in California might die from the particulate that the rest of the country is fine with. Thankfully the politicians there will save everyone.

krt22

Established Member
Damn smogging a new car, that ****ing blows.

Lol tell me about it, especially on a 50-state car. And if the same exact 50-state car was delivered via courtesy transfer it would not require a smog check, but if you buy it out of state and transport it in, you are are on the hook. And you cant smog it until you have logged ~100ish miles, and technically you are not supposed to drive it until you have applied for registration and title.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a feeling that it's an internal issue.

Lol tell me about it, especially on a 50-state car. And if the same exact 50-state car was delivered via courtesy transfer it would not require a smog check, but if you buy it out of state and transport it in, you are are on the hook. And you cant smog it until you have logged ~100ish miles, and technically you are not supposed to drive it until you have applied for registration and title.

Seems completely logical to me...

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Thanks everyone, great info. Haven't heard anything yet, but will do my best to get a photo and get the write-up.....Believe me, the smog thing is just too much, I have to have my older son in Utah buy all the non-CARB stuff and ship it out here because of the wackos here, especially when it says its 50-state compliant.

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
My head hurts because I read the link about the missing/sheared bolt on the tranny at 53 miles.

Now add an upset stomach. Just got off the phone with Ken grody Ford service and they're not even going to do a tear down to find the piece or pieces that have locked up the tranny they are now going to just replace the entire tranny.

Now my son is pissed because there won't be a numbers matching tranny holy crap I don't know what the hell.

going there in the morning, my son is a certified aircraft mechanic and he's going to talk to them . shit shit shit.

Thank you for the Communist remarks I love it because luckily I'm in Southern Cal around San Diego which isn't quite as bad but the Prius's and Teslas are like insects everywhere. And they think the fast lane is for them.

65sohc

Established Member
This is good to hear. I ordered my car from a dealer in TN and last week worked out a courtesy delivery to Madera, CA. I had wondered about having to have it smogged.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
My head hurts because I read the link about the missing/sheared bolt on the tranny at 53 miles.

Now add an upset stomach. Just got off the phone with Ken grody Ford service and they're not even going to do a tear down to find the piece or pieces that have locked up the tranny they are now going to just replace the entire tranny.

Now my son is pissed because there won't be a numbers matching tranny holy crap I don't know what the hell.

going there in the morning, my son is a certified aircraft mechanic and he's going to talk to them . shit shit shit.

Thank you for the Communist remarks I love it because luckily I'm in Southern Cal around San Diego which isn't quite as bad but the Prius's and Teslas are like insects everywhere. And they think the fast lane is for them.

I'm pretty sure that trannys and engines are not numbered anymore but I can understand why you would be so upset. Good luck pal.

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Well make sure they process directly with DMV in Sacramento. My Ohio dealer said they would process it directly, but then sent me the Ohio title. To register to operate in CA, they (CA DMV) told me it will have to have a CA title. Then I had to get a VIN verification, smog and pay the sales tax difference between Ohio and CA. That part I pretty much expected, but they were supposed to handle it and dumped the paperwork on me.

And now the tranny is toast at 165 miles. Should have got the Z06, but couldn't fit.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Just got off the phone with Ken grody Ford service and they're not even going to do a tear down to find the piece or pieces that have locked up the tranny they are now going to just replace the entire tranny.

Wait, important question - did they even put the car up on a lift to verify whether this is simply a shifter issue? I don't see a basis for the conclusion if they haven't singled that out.

As to any matching transmission identification being lost in the transition...there is an aluminum tag bolted to the case and a sticker applied as well. They list the part as shown in Ford's service network, Tremec's internal part number, the date of manufacture, and the sequential number in terms of manufacturing order. I've yet to see a direct correlation to a specific VIN. You could ask the service people if they could take some clear shots of these two items when they pull the transmission, as well as of those on the Service replacement transmission. I can help you break down the tags if you'd like.

zIMG_0515.jpg

zIMG_0514.jpg

Have your son ask them if they can bump the car up on a lift for a look to see if this is merely a shifter issue.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Sorry to hear, my mt82 did this to me. Was stuck in 2nd gear, but the shifter in neutral. Luckily for me, I was able to fix it myself very easily. The 1-2 shift slider pin I guess you could call it, popped it out and saw it was engaged. I put a flat head in it, and moved it to the neutral position, and had all my gears back.

Sounds similar, just something got bound up. Good luck!

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Yep, just talked to my son and he read your thread also and will try and get them to get it back in the air if it's not already.

No, Bob at KGF didn't say much more than what I repeated what he said in the thread, that's why my son is going to look tomorrow morning and see what is going on. Something sounds fishy, no teardown, no analysis, just, we're going to just throw in a new tranny for you because it's not worth trying to figure out why the tranny is locked up and it's all covered under warranty.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
This is good to hear. I ordered my car from a dealer in TN and last week worked out a courtesy delivery to Madera, CA. I had wondered about having to have it smogged.

This is random and off topic but if it going to Silva Ford in Madera and you have to deal with them with paperwork or anything like that, look it over really really thoroughly! They came after me for money that was supposed to be a military discount but they claimed it was a down payment. I had to bring a lot of shit down on them to get them to fix it and they still wouldn't admit fault. Ok, back on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread