Tranny/Clutch - say it ain't so

Capt_Mahognutz

Established Member
Well in the other thread with the bolt that broke/came loose inside the flywheel housing, they originallly wanted the engine back immediately for a forensics style tear down. Probably the same with a broken trans. Ford won't want a dealership pulling it apart on such a newly released product. They'll want their engineers looking at it to make sure it's a freak thing and not a huge problem that they'll need to correct on all the other cars that already rolled off the line. I'm with you, i'd wanna know what the hell happened to my car, but my money says they want to review it thoroughly in house, vs remotely by a random tech at your dealership

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well in the other thread with the bolt that broke/came loose inside the flywheel housing, they originallly wanted the engine back immediately for a forensics style tear down. Probably the same with a broken trans. Ford won't want a dealership pulling it apart on such a newly released product. They'll want their engineers looking at it to make sure it's a freak thing and not a huge problem that they'll need to correct on all the other cars that already rolled off the line. I'm with you, i'd wanna know what the hell happened to my car, but my money says they want to review it thoroughly in house, vs remotely by a random tech at your dealership

That is typical.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Probably the same with a broken trans. Ford won't want a dealership pulling it apart on such a newly released product. They'll want their engineers looking at it to make sure it's a freak thing and not a huge problem that they'll need to correct on all the other cars that already rolled off the line.

Except they don't know yet (based on the information provided in this thread) if it is the transmission that broke. In order to pull the transmission, the shifter will have to be disconnected up top (knob, boot, etc) and if it is blatantly obvious that a fastener on the shifter failed or a clip wasn't properly seated it really wouldn't make sense to do forensic analysis on a transmission that didn't fail.

Hopefully the issue was caused by a failed shifter component and not the TR3160. Otherwise we'd be looking at two failures (quite possible, totally unrelated) on Tremecs end within only a few days on the same car forum. Statistically, that'd be some pretty bad news for Tremec's QC/Ford's QC.

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Yep, son just got thru at KGF. Dealer did an inspection, they stated that nothing looked out of place or anything loose with fasteners or clips. They stated Ford directed them to pull the tranny and send back to them based on what dealer says is going on. Service advisor who spoke with Ford, says it was an "oh shit" moment on Ford's part (not exactly sure what it meant good or bad). Don't want to jump to any conclusions if it's a systemic issue or isolated. Car was already off the rack; but they have promised to call back when new tranny arrives and it goes back up in the air so we can take pictures also while they are removing it. Hopefully within the next 2 - 3 days.

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Not on purpose, but they happened while learning to drive it. No line-lock B/O's, that's for certain. Switching from GT500 to GT350 back and forth is quite a big difference. It's weird.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yep, son just got thru at KGF. Dealer did an inspection, they stated that nothing looked out of place or anything loose with fasteners or clips.

OK, so it sounds as if external failure has been ruled out. Next up, another potential breakage point. This is from the TR6060 transmission on a GT500 which is obviously a little different than the GT350's TR3160. In this case, the roll pin that holds the lever onto the shift rail failed. I've heard of this happening twice on TR6060's but have no doubt the failure numbers were much higher than that.

20130528_173025_zpse0acc99e.jpg

From here.

Again, the rail is a little different between these two but the failure mode could be similar. Problem is, while the fix was easy on the TR6060, accessing the rail on the TR3160 is a bit more involved. It isn't as simple as removing a four bolt cover (thanks to lightweighting!!) as the shaft disappears into the case.

zIMG_0520.jpg

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Hmmm. This is interesting. Wonder if ford will ever get back to you on the issue.

My car is not here yet, but I am glad I decided to stick with a local dealer for my car. Especially with a new product some kinks are bound to arise and it's probably with having someone in my own back yard to deal with.

Best of luck and glad the long distance dealings with the other dealer are going well.

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
After 10 days, still no car back. I have the Orange Lemon GT350 is what I think. First, they put it in the air and took out the old tranny without letting us know so we could take pictures. Blamed it on communication between the Service Advisor and the Tech. Was supposed to be ready today. Get a call this afternoon - uh - we now have a problem with the clutch holding pressure so we're trying to figure that out and we may have to be ordering more parts or replacing the clutch also. HOLY F***; I usually hold my temper, but blew up on him. All I know now is I am now 1/3 of the way of getting it replaced under the Lemon Law.

I don't think I can even trust this thing when it comes back. It will be interesting to see the service receipt, which I will post whatever week or month I get it back. This blows. It got delivered from Ford to the dealer in Ohio on 1/4; I got it into CA on 1/11/16, drove for the first time on 1/12/16; it dies 1/15; it's now been under repair for 3 times longer than it's been available to drive. WTF happened here.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Burnout shmurnout, some of you guys are just too funny. Just buy a Fiesta and drive it like a Prius :-D

OP my car was the one that died after 53 miles and yes it is frustrating.

But Ford is taking issues with this car very seriously and are following a methodical forensics approach to troubleshooting, which takes a lot more time then fixing a broken Mustang GT or Focus.

Mine was down for a month and I just went with the flow. I have my car back and it is running fine and yours will be to.

Just take a deep breath and call your local ford rep as they will advocate for you as they did for me. They even made one months payment for me as a good will gesture.......Steve

Bigmfcpa

Established Member
Well, the Orange Lemon is back and It is So. Both the Clutch and Tranny were toast with no explanation. They weren't too cooperative in letting us take pictures, in talking with the service advisor kid, he said the suits didn't want that to happen....now I don't know if they had a problem with info getting out and hiding it, or what....but I am not happy with it. Anyway just got it back home and will test over the weekend. Here's the R/O.

GT350 New Clutch & Tranny - It is So!_Page_1.jpg
GT350 New Clutch & Tranny - It is So!_Page_2.jpg

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Your upset with what part? The fact that you couldn't take pictures or how they are treating you?

Sounds like they are doing everything for you to get it fixed :??::??:

Users who are viewing this thread